JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Music festival in NW?

I've never been to a music festival.. (Like where you stand among many hundreds and thousands of people and dance and jump to the music)

Mostly because I've always thought it's unchristian and also because there are not many outside/outdoor music festivals in Korea. 

Most music festivals are being done inside, like in a club and that's really dangerous for us.

But I'm quite jealous of people being able to go there and just listen to the banging music. 

I've wondered, would something like this -standing real close to one another and listening to EDM- be considered fundamentally immature in the NW?

(For whatever reasons.. like, because it creates this 'worldly' atmosphere or spirit in minds)

I can't quite imagine ... like, 400,500 hundred-year old people jumping and dancing with the EDM rhythm, although, there's nothing wrong with it per se.  

Nothing wrong with it at all. The israelites danced and leaped about in mass crowds even as a form of worship, even David, and they were carrying the Ark of the Covenant! In the account it even looks down on the woman who "despised him" for it .

2 Samuel 6:14-16, 20-22: "David was dancing around before Jehovah with all his might; all the while David wore a linen ephʹod. 15 David and all the house of Israel were bringing up the Ark of Jehovah with joyful shouting and with the sound of the horn. 16 But when the Ark of Jehovah came into the City of David, Saul’s daughter Miʹchal looked down through the window and saw King David leaping and dancing around before Jehovah; and she began to despise him in her heart...20 When David returned to bless his own household, Saul’s daughter Miʹchal came out to meet him. She said: “How glorious the king of Israel made himself when he uncovered himself today before the eyes of the slave girls of his servants, just as an empty-headed man openly uncovers himself!” 21 At this David said to Miʹchal: “My celebration was before Jehovah, who chose me rather than your father and all his household and who appointed me as leader over Jehovah’s people, Israel. Therefore, I will celebrate before Jehovah, 22 and I will humble myself even more than this and become low even in my own eyes. But by the slave girls whom you mentioned, I will be glorified.” 23 So Saul’s daughter Miʹchal had no children down to the day of her death."

If you can't find anything specifically "wrong" with it, then how can it be labelled unchristian or immoral? What sin has been comitted? Remember being Christian does not equate to being boring or somber like monks, or the somber looking renaissance pictures of Jesus. We're allowed to be as "lively" as we want as long as we're not bringing harm to ourselves or others.

As long as people aren't getting out of control by means of drunkenness, or immoral behaviour (because some festivals include heavy drinking, sexual activity, drugs, etc), which equates to what the Bible condemns as "wild parties", but what you describe I would not call a "wild party" in the negative Biblical definition.

What is considered "mature" or "immature" in this manner is often very cultural, and arbitary. In some cultures, refusing to dance in such a way would get you labelled as immature or even disrespectful (for example some tribes become offended if you refuse their offer to dance with them, which includes jumping around with a crowd to music), in fact a form of this culture can be seen in Matthew 11:17: "“When we played the flute, you did not dance...",

Not that it's wrong to not want to dance, because it's all relative, but just as much as it's not wrong to dance, or jump around, and so on. Sometimes, people's "Christian hardships" come from putting burdens on ourselves which Jesus has not required of us.

Matthew 11:30: "For my yoke is easy and my burden is light"

This thread actually takes me back to a congregation party we had many, many years ago, with elders and servants there, and the entire congregation was jumping up and down to heavy EMD music like you describe. 😄

Edited by EccentricM

Mosh pit with Goliath and some Rephaim ? Haha

Seriously, that would be great, we don't do much parties like this besides Weddings... 

I want to dance and jump on this kind of music/events in Paradise.

Edited by Dages

10 hours ago, VisualizeUrParadise said:

I've never been to a music festival.. (Like where you stand among many hundreds and thousands of people and dance and jump to the music)

Mostly because I've always thought it's unchristian and also because there are not many outside/outdoor music festivals in Korea. 

Most music festivals are being done inside, like in a club and that's really dangerous for us.

But I'm quite jealous of people being able to go there and just listen to the banging music. 

I've wondered, would something like this -standing real close to one another and listening to EDM- be considered fundamentally immature in the NW?

(For whatever reasons.. like, because it creates this 'worldly' atmosphere or spirit in minds)

I can't quite imagine ... like, 400,500 hundred-year old people jumping and dancing with the EDM rhythm, although, there's nothing wrong with it per se.  

I love music festivals.  And Jehovah knows I don't believe it will be my idea of Paradise if we don't have them for eternity.  What could be wrong with them?  😮   I so look forward to hearing concerts with line-ups of the classical composers, famous musicians/singers we know of, incredible musicians lost throughout millenia that we'll hear from then.  I would be incredible!!! ❤️ 

However -- I'm NOT a fan of standing all day to listen to music.  I want a comfy chair, either in a concert hall or on the green, easily able to see and hear the performances.  It is annoying when people stand up in front of me; I'm short.  😕  If we all sit, we can all see! 

3 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Nothing wrong with it at all. The israelites danced and leaped about in mass crowds even as a form of worship, even David, and they were carrying the Ark of the Covenant! In the account it even looks down on the woman who "despised him" for it .

2 Samuel 6:14-16, 20-22: "David was dancing around before Jehovah with all his might; all the while David wore a linen ephʹod. 15 David and all the house of Israel were bringing up the Ark of Jehovah with joyful shouting and with the sound of the horn. 16 But when the Ark of Jehovah came into the City of David, Saul’s daughter Miʹchal looked down through the window and saw King David leaping and dancing around before Jehovah; and she began to despise him in her heart...20 When David returned to bless his own household, Saul’s daughter Miʹchal came out to meet him. She said: “How glorious the king of Israel made himself when he uncovered himself today before the eyes of the slave girls of his servants, just as an empty-headed man openly uncovers himself!” 21 At this David said to Miʹchal: “My celebration was before Jehovah, who chose me rather than your father and all his household and who appointed me as leader over Jehovah’s people, Israel. Therefore, I will celebrate before Jehovah, 22 and I will humble myself even more than this and become low even in my own eyes. But by the slave girls whom you mentioned, I will be glorified.” 23 So Saul’s daughter Miʹchal had no children down to the day of her death."

If you can't find anything specifically "wrong" with it, then how can it be labelled unchristian or immoral? What sin has been comitted? Remember being Christian does not equate to being boring or somber like monks, or the somber looking renaissance pictures of Jesus. We're allowed to be as "lively" as we want as long as we're not bringing harm to ourselves or others.

As long as people aren't getting out of control by means of drunkenness, or immoral behaviour (because some festivals include heavy drinking, sexual activity, drugs, etc), which equates to what the Bible condemns as "wild parties", but what you describe I would not call a "wild party" in the negative Biblical definition.

What is considered "mature" or "immature" in this manner is often very cultural, and arbitary. In some cultures, refusing to dance in such a way would get you labelled as immature or even disrespectful (for example some tribes become offended if you refuse their offer to dance with them, which includes jumping around with a crowd to music), in fact a form of this culture can be seen in Matthew 11:17: "“When we played the flute, you did not dance...",

Not that it's wrong to not want to dance, because it's all relative, but just as much as it's not wrong to dance, or jump around, and so on. Sometimes, people's "Christian hardships" come from putting burdens on ourselves which Jesus has not required of us.

Matthew 11:30: "For my yoke is easy and my burden is light"

This thread actually takes me back to a congregation party we had many, many years ago, with elders and servants there, and the entire congregation was jumping up and down to heavy EMD music like you describe. 😄

Interesting! Now that I think about it, the Israelites did jump and dance to music in a mass! 

Wow, something like that would never happen in Korea..For some reason, EDM is always considered worldly in Korea..haha 

1 hour ago, Hope said:

I love music festivals.  And Jehovah knows I don't believe it will be my idea of Paradise if we don't have them for eternity.  What could be wrong with them?  😮   I so look forward to hearing concerts with line-ups of the classical composers, famous musicians/singers we know of, incredible musicians lost throughout millenia that we'll hear from then.  I would be incredible!!! ❤️ 

However -- I'm NOT a fan of standing all day to listen to music.  I want a comfy chair, either in a concert hall or on the green, easily able to see and hear the performances.  It is annoying when people stand up in front of me; I'm short.  😕  If we all sit, we can all see! 

Haha I noticed girls sitting on the shoulders of men when that is the case.. 

2 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

emoji23.png…maybe in the new world you’ll be on your man’s shoulders (No man currently but then?emoji6.png)

Agape

Hmm... maybe.  But seriously - I don't think either of us would be comfortable for three hours in that situation... 😉  If everyone just stays sat down, no problem for anyone! :D 

Edited by Hope

3 concerts I got to sit down - Paul McCartney and Wings at the Palace in Michigan, James Brown ( at the Ryman , Nashville ) and Kansas at the Nashville Starwood Amphitheatre  ( outdoor ) all playing my preferred taste in music, I do like jazz also. My mother hated James Brown's music, " how can you listen to the screeching voice " she would say " but ma, he's cool " ! hahahaha

James Brown GIF

The women led the nation of Israel in singing and dancing after being delivered from Egypt. 

I imagine the same thing will happen after Armageddon. Can you imagine the whole world singing the same song at the same time?  Fabulous praise to Jah!

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

• 2 weeks later...

I like this thread. I love the previous comments showing that Satan did not invent music, nor did he invent music festivals. 

The credit for such awesomeness goes to Jehovah. Satan knows what we love and perverts those things. It causes confusion.  Jehovah's people have always been musical inventors. David played the harp (Kinnor,  Lyre ) for a reason. He understood harmony better than the Greeks after him. At Soloman's temple the orchestra was massive and consisted of the most skilled musicians. By the size of the orchestra you can imagine the magnitude of sound and the long distances those sound waves covered. 

Everyone of us will play musical instruments and sing in the New System because Jehovah made us in his image and nothing explains his creation, how harmony, math works better than music. Jehovah IS an artist. And everyone of us are too. Satan perverts art because it is too easy to see Jehovah with good art. Jehovah set the greatest example of any artist in the Universe, then created us and said, now you guys create some good stuff. And mankind as a whole failed and instead produced dissonance. 

But imagine in the New World those festivals. Don't believe we will just be in the audience just as a spectator. All will be part of the chorus. I can imagine there will be times where certain ones and groups perform for our enjoyment and to bring praise to Jehovah. And there will be other times when the entire sea of people will be singing and playing together simultaneously making those festivals grand worship services to Jehovah. 

Our Kingdom Melodies are going to sound even more spectacular at our festivals in Jehovah's new world. 

Great article about Music in the Insight Book: 

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200003137?q=musicians+solomon's+temple&p=doc

On 8/27/2021 at 3:54 PM, Lee49 said:

3 concerts I got to sit down - Paul McCartney and Wings at the Palace in Michigan, James Brown ( at the Ryman , Nashville ) and Kansas at the Nashville Starwood Amphitheatre  ( outdoor ) all playing my preferred taste in music, I do like jazz also. My mother hated James Brown's music, " how can you listen to the screeching voice " she would say " but ma, he's cool " ! hahahaha

James Brown GIF

Love your taste Brother Lawrence.  So if I want to catch a good show I know who to ask :)  

This made me think; I've always been fascinated thinking about what music will be in the new world, or thinking what it will be like to introduce the biblical musicians to the instruments we have today and play together. But now I'm imagining David being asked "how did the psalms you compose actually sound?" so often that he would want to arrange a few festivals so he could show everyone at one time lol. 

I would love to go to a music festival, but for sure only one in the NW, the vibes I get from worldly ones aren't that great, especially in the current covid era 😬 Drugs and smoking, large crowds, being in close proximity with strangers, people dressed inappropriately, general reckless behavior and loudness, sometimes being so loud you can't even hear the music... My introverted self cannot handle it.