JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

World is at 'pivotal moment' and must avert crises

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 953 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Yet another cry for peace and security?  

A call for the toothless UN beast to finally be given some actual TEETH?

Or just the same ole  same ole?

Time will tell. 

52849102_ScreenShot2021-09-12at12_16_20PM.png.7144118bb3c897b8d5285f9546b094bc.png

UNITED NATIONS -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres issued a dire warning that the world is moving in the wrong direction and faces “a pivotal moment” where continuing business as usual could lead to a breakdown of global order and a future of perpetual crisis. Changing course could signal a breakthrough to a greener and safer future, he said.

The U.N. chief said the world’s nations and people must reverse today’s dangerous trends and choose “the breakthrough scenario.”

The world is under “enormous stress” on almost every front, he said, and the COVID-19 pandemic was a wake-up call demonstrating the failure of nations to come together and take joint decisions to help all people in the face of a global life-threatening emergency.

Guterres said this “paralysis” extends far beyond COVID-19 to the failures to tackle the climate crisis and “our suicidal war on nature and the collapse of biodiversity,” the “unchecked inequality” undermining the cohesion of societies, and technology’s advances “without guard rails to protect us from its unforeseen consequences.”

In other signs of a more chaotic and insecure world, he pointed to rising poverty, hunger and gender inequality after decades of decline, the extreme risk to human life and the planet from nuclear war and a climate breakdown, and the inequality, discrimination and injustice bringing people into the streets to protest “while conspiracy theories and lies fuel deep divisions within societies.”

In a horizon-scanning report presented to the General Assembly and at a press conference Friday, Guterres said his vision for the “breakthrough scenario” to a greener and safer world is driven by “the principle of working together, recognizing that we are bound to each other and that no community or country, however powerful, can solve its challenges alone.”

The report -- “Our Common Agenda” -- is a response to last year’s declaration by world leaders on the 75th anniversary of the United Nations and the request from the assembly’s 193 member nations for the U.N. chief to make recommendations to address the challenges for global governance.

In today’s world, Guterres said, “Global decision-making is fixed on immediate gain, ignoring the long-term consequences of decisions -- or indecision.”

He said multilateral institutions have proven to be “too weak and fragmented for today’s global challenges and risks.”

What’s needed, Guterres said, is not new multilateral bureaucracies but more effective multilateral institutions including a United Nations “2.0" more relevant to the 21st century.

“And we need multilateralism with teeth,” he said.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/chief-world-pivotal-moment-avert-crises-79960511

Well, at least another cry for security. :D 

"safety"  "security"

Security by any other name is still security. :D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Regarding wanting their “teeth”. They need to be careful what they wish for. lol

After they get them, they will have consequences they can’t even dream of. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

On 9/12/2021 at 11:35 AM, Friends just call me Ross said:

Yet another cry for peace and security?  

A call for the toothless UN beast to finally be given some actual TEETH?

Or just the same ole  same ole?

Time will tell. 

52849102_ScreenShot2021-09-12at12_16_20PM.png.7144118bb3c897b8d5285f9546b094bc.png

Well, at least another cry for security. :D 

"safety"  "security"

Security by any other name is still security. :D 

Thank you for sharing this. The time that we are living in....well, this was a very interesting read.  I've shared with family, and  with some in my cong.

Edited by Polka Dot

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".