JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Why are some people exceptionally smart?

Studies and efforts don't quite explain the contrast between, say, an ordinary person and someone who is exceptionally smart or intelligent.

Two examples off the top of my head could be John von Neumann and Margaret Heafield Hamilton.

(these people were academically phenomenal. But some people are exceptional politically, with very strong charisma and leadership, in itself is a form of strong intelligence) 

Or we could ask why are most people ordinary? which is more normal?

If that's just within the boundary of human variety Jehovah set, is this how it's going to be forever in the NW? (Some people being too smart while most remain average)

Come to think of it, seems like angels too have ranks and different abilities and power.. 

if somehow being normal and ordinary now is a sign of imperfection, then we could say most people will be like Neumann. 

(Because perfect Jesus must've been excellent in all fields of study and expertise) 

And I'm grateful for brothers and sisters who could've shined secularly had they been secularly educated but instead work their best for Jehovah. 

Hmmm, exceptionally smart or ordinary. That would be me. ( Notice I don't say which category 😂😂😂)

It's a good question though. I think everyone will have a " field of excellence". Rather like flowers in a garden. For some that might be academic excellence, physics for example. Others might have a wonderful singing voice, or be an exceptional artist. And still others might have a warmth that draws people. We'll all have differing gifts that contribute to the beauty of the garden and make life amazing. And we'll have forever to develop other talents. One thing I'm sure of, no one will be stupid!

13 minutes ago, Ludwika said:

Hmmm, exceptionally smart or ordinary. That would be me. ( Notice I don't say which category 😂😂😂)

It's a good question though. I think everyone will have a " field of excellence". Rather like flowers in a garden. For some that might be academic excellence, physics for example. Others might have a wonderful singing voice, or be an exceptional artist. And still others might have a warmth that draws people. We'll all have differing gifts that contribute to the beauty of the garden and make life amazing. And we'll have forever to develop other talents. One thing I'm sure of, no one will be stupid!

Wise answer!! : -)

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2021 at 3:14 AM, VisualizeUrParadise said:

why are most people ordinary?

God must Love the average man....He made so many of them.:lol:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

3 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

We are average because of Satan. We don't know the real average God has in plan... Let's discuss that in a couple of centuries when we will have a dozen of PhDs

Johann Sebastian Bach was fantastic at creating harmonies, but his cooking skills are long forgotten. People don’t even remember if he was good at math.

Leonardo da Vinci could paint, and he was truly exceptional at coming up with fantastic ideas regarding inventions. And yet, did he have the skills necessary to keep a family together?

Perhaps both of them will be able to develop their skills when they wake up to perfect life on the coming new earth?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

And Jehovah will enhance any natural skills we now have, to make them amazing. We all have the potential in us, just lack time, motivation and we recognise where our priorities lie.

I was thinking of Bezalel “The great diversity of Bezalel’s skills and the fact that he was filled “with the spirit of God” (Ex 35:31) enabled him to oversee making the tent cloths and their embroidery, gold and copper hooks, the outer coverings of skins, wooden panel frames overlaid with gold, the interior screen (Ex 36), the overlaid ark of the covenant and its cherubs, the table and its utensils, the golden lampstand and incense altar, the prescribed anointing oil and incense (Ex 37), the altar of burnt offering, the copper basin and stand, the courtyard (Ex 38), the ephod and its breastpiece set with precious stones, and the priestly robes (Ex 39).” - Insight Book.

7 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Leonardo da Vinci

Despite the thousands of pages Leonardo left in notebooks and manuscripts, he scarcely made reference to his personal life.

Leonardo's most intimate relationships were perhaps with his pupils Salaì and Melzi. Melzi, writing to inform Leonardo's brothers of his death, described Leonardo's feelings for his pupils as both loving and passionate. It has been claimed since the 16th century that these relationships were of a sexual or erotic nature. Court records of 1476, when he was aged 24, show that Leonardo and three other young men were charged with sodomy in an incident involving a well-known male prostitute.

wikipedia

Despite the thousands of pages Leonardo left in notebooks and manuscripts, he scarcely made reference to his personal life.

Leonardo's most intimate relationships were perhaps with his pupils Salaì and Melzi. Melzi, writing to inform Leonardo's brothers of his death, described Leonardo's feelings for his pupils as both loving and passionate. It has been claimed since the 16th century that these relationships were of a sexual or erotic nature. Court records of 1476, when he was aged 24, show that Leonardo and three other young men were charged with sodomy in an incident involving a well-known male prostitute.

wikipedia

Most of it has been lost to history.

Where else have I heard about someone being loving and pretty much awesome after their death? Oh, yeah, pretty much every funeral…

My point is that these people did shine in some areas, but left things to wish for in other areas.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 10/5/2021 at 2:14 AM, VisualizeUrParadise said:

Studies and efforts don't quite explain the contrast between, say, an ordinary person and someone who is exceptionally smart or intelligent.

The Circuit Assembly with the Branch ( morning ) talks about "why smart people don't get it" , you'll have to listen.  😉

7 hours ago, Lee49 said:

The Circuit Assembly with the Branch ( morning ) talks about "why smart people don't get it" , you'll have to listen.  😉

Spoiler

(1:23:18) Well, do we have an example of how the holy spirit, the helper, did just that? Called something back to mind. John 2:19. Jesus had told the Jews: “Tear down this temple and [in] three days I will raise it up.”

They didn't get it. And the disciples did not understand it at that time. So in verse 20 the Jews replied this temple was built in 46 years and will you raise it up in three days?

Verse 21 says this, but he was talking about the temple of his body. They didn't get that.

Serious note...

Yaa.. Quite interesting how Jehovah can lock intelligent ones out of understanding because it takes spiritual unlocking.... 

I.m amazed at all the stuff i had wrong for a good stretch of time.. And there

S no reason for me to be amazed at more stuff i have wrong....

Edited by vern

On 11/15/2021 at 11:49 PM, Beyond the Sky said:

Why are some people way more athletic than others? No matter how much I train, I will never be able to run as fast or jump as high as Michael Jordan. 

It just seems we aren't all born with the same/equal abilities. Maybe in the new world. 

The problem here is comparation. Michael Jordan trains since her youth. Her skills are provenient from hard work. We don´t see this hard work. We see results.

As mentioned here, the "genius" that we reffer are people that dedicates a life to an skill or some skills. Michael Jordan doesn´t use the bible with mastery to teach others than as you. Because he probably never do that.

everyone don´t tells the fails, because this we only expect victory and succes in a quick time. This doesn´t exists.

(Maybe a person have more facility in one thing, but doesnt dispensate hard work.)

As mentioned here, we don´t born with same abilites and equals. but with the New World and soooo much time, we can do a lot of things with maestry.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 8:18 AM, Pjdriver said:

You cannot blame the condition we humans are in on Jehovah selectively  endowing skills and traits. Even in imperfection we sure have AMAZING potential!   If the original parents had not both succumbed to heartless and egotistical entrapment we would have had circumstances allowing much different development, eh?   Then again "neccessity is the mother of invention" so imagining what the motivations WILL be makes one assume that there will still be differing causes making us all the unique people Jehovah intended.  Can we really imagine the freedom of imitating our Heavenly Father without fear of failing OR fear of succeeding!?   The worse thing now is conversations where we measure, equate and chest thump ourselves and each other!

I think I am average but WOW I sure want a million years of THIS (without the satanic influences that are everywhere...DUH!).   And can we imaging having the perfect energy to tackle WHATEVER we put our minds to or is called for?

18 minutes ago, Geralyn said:

You cannot blame the condition we humans are in on Jehovah selectively  endowing skills and traits.

What makes you say I am blaming Jehovah for anything?  I’ll chalk it up to a misunderstanding. :coffee:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

Apologies Pjdriver!   it was a lazy thing for me to snatch your humorous acknowledgement of the seeming disproportionate amount of normality in us rather than separate the thought from your name...  and where I said "you" maybe I should have said WE because I had already shifted into a group musing frame of thought!    Your comment made me think  of how to view the conditions we live under and what really makes us, or KEEPS us from that accumulation,  development and skillfull display of gray matter... lol