JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

At least 30 tornadoes hit Southern U.S.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 871 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/11/weather/severe-weather-tornadoes-saturday/index.html

spacer.png

A 200 mile long path of destruction may have been caused by a single, extremely powerful twister.

Those parts of Arkansas -- as well as Mayfield, Kentucky -- are in a path of more than 200 miles, including slices of Missouri and Tennessee, that might have been produced by one long-track tornado, CNN meteorologists said.

If it was one tornado, that 200-mile path would be the longest traveled of any since 1925.

spacer.png

(CNN)Storms unleashed devastating tornadoes late Friday and early Saturday across parts of the central and southern US including Kentucky, where the governor says the death toll will exceed 50 after "one of the toughest nights in Kentucky history."

More than 30 tornadoes have been reported in at least six states. A stretch of more than 200 miles from Arkansas to Kentucky might have been hit by one violent, long-track twister, CNN meteorologists say.

Tornadoes also have been reported in parts of Missouri, Tennessee and Mississippi.

One of the most devastated sites is the southwestern Kentucky city of Mayfield, where a tornado hit a candle factory Friday night while about 110 people were inside, Beshear said.

"We believe we'll lose at least dozens of those individuals," the governor said.

Video from Mayfield showed what remained of the factory: a massive debris field, largely of twisted metal, several feet high.

Other buildings hit in Mayfield, a city of around 10,000 people, include the Graves County courthouse and adjoining jail.

Illinois and Arkansas were also hit by tornadoes:

Deaths in Illinois and Arkansas, officials say

Deaths also have been reported in Illinois and Arkansas.

At the collapsed Amazon warehouse in the Illinois city of Edwardsville outside St. Louis, at least two people were killed, and rescue attempts were underway Saturday, Police Chief Mike Fillback said.

Praying for our brothers and sisters who live in these states.:(

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

1 hour ago, Lee49 said:

In Bowling green, Ky. some of the friends homes were destroyed, 5 minutes from my brother in laws home ( they were in Florida ) my nieces husbands mothers roof was partially blown off ( she's a sister ) no report of any injuries yet.

I just received that message too. And friends have to meet together in the basements. I think  Vincennes IN, got hit too.

9 hours ago, Lee49 said:

In Bowling green, Ky. some of the friends homes were destroyed, 5 minutes from my brother in laws home ( they were in Florida ) my nieces husbands mothers roof was partially blown off ( she's a sister ) no report of any injuries yet.

Can you ask your relatives there if they know if Ewing and Cecilia Russell were affected? They live in a community southeast of town..207 Gobbler Ct. He used to do Bible binding and repair.

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

32 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

They live in a community southeast of town..207 Gobbler Ct. He used to do Bible binding and repair.

I don't think the tornado hit in that area it was more NW , will post more if I find out, my brother in law ( an elder ) is in Florida, my niece and her husband are there helping his mother.

I was in a meeting yesterday; we had a member of the US Branch Committee give a brief update (as of 6pm est they were still waiting for updates from a few dozen congregations) but so far 25 homes were completely destroyed along with 10 KH's damaged...but thankfully so far no one was injured! Look for a full update on jw.org.

18 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

Can you ask your relatives there if they know if Ewing and Cecilia Russell were affected? They live in a community southeast of town..207 Gobbler Ct. He used to do Bible binding and repair.

I saw this map where areas would be affected by tornados. Don't know if this helps or not.

7B018944-12C9-461F-BF4C-64D7BF83074B.thumb.jpeg.eb091e524fa7bf03118aab9e8f58e03c.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Lewis said:

I saw this map where areas would be affected by tornados. Don't know if this helps or not.

7B018944-12C9-461F-BF4C-64D7BF83074B.thumb.jpeg.eb091e524fa7bf03118aab9e8f58e03c.jpeg

Thanks..I also heard on the news that the tornado there was on the ground for 5 miles..a separate one from the tornado that they think was on the ground for 200 miles!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

These storms were very unusual, because they didn't expect them in the month of December.  So in a way, many people caught off guard.  The one tornado that started in one state ran 227 miles on the ground into Kentucky.  All I can think of is to donate to JW.ORG, what little we have can help out our brothers in times like these.