JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hugs: The health benefits of hugging

19 minutes ago, Hope said:

I need to believe that hugs are not that important; they are not part of my life and I'm still surviving.  :shrugs:

People that don't eat healthy or exercise are still living but we can't deny the health benefits of a good diet and physical routine.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I saw a similar article on ‘country living’ but yours is better Michelle! 😃

soooo many benefits 

I particularly like that it strengthens relationships, reduces loneliness and increase each other’s self esteem.

Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider one another so as to incite to love and fine works 

(incite= urge / persuade / encourage )

Deleted

Edited by BLEmom

Double post?

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

I have a love hate relationship with hugs. I think they are great but they tend to cause a lot of anxiety. Is this person comfortable with hugs?  Only a side hug or a frontal hug? How hard should I hug this person? How long are they comfortable? How much boobage is involved? And every person is different and each interaction with the same person can be different?  I didn’t grow up in a family of huggers so it is has been an uncomfortable learning process that I will now have to relearn thanks to COVID. 🤪😝

oh and when I was a kid, there was a brother who always tried to get me to hug him by quoting that scripture about greeting each one with a holy kiss. He creeped me out and I avoided him at all costs. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Although we are a pretty huggy family, it's nice to just hold onto something while sleeping - whether a person, a pillow, or a huge stuffed animal. The huge stuffed animals I see on sale at some stores now are super cute.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

16 hours ago, Tortuga said:

People that don't eat healthy or exercise are still living but we can't deny the health benefits of a good diet and physical routine.

No... I think I'm "living" - more than simply "surviving". :) As much as is allowed to me, anyway.  I cannot add hugs to my diet or physical routine, unfortunately.  I'm pretty sure that if we *needed* lengthy hugs to live, Jehovah would ensure everyone received them.  Since that is not the case, I can't believe they are necessary for life... or even a happy life.  :shrugs:

Edited by Hope

2 hours ago, BLEmom said:

I have a love hate relationship with hugs. I think they are great but they tend to cause a lot of anxiety. Is this person comfortable with hugs?  Only a side hug or a frontal hug? How hard should I hug this person? How long are they comfortable? How much boobage is involved? And every person is different and each interaction with the same person can be different?  I didn’t grow up in a family of huggers so it is has been an uncomfortable learning process that I will now have to relearn thanks to COVID. 🤪

I get you. My parents were not big huggers. Yet my kids (7,16,19,25) somehow still give me a hug and I find it really really hard to be the first hugger- I’m usually the “ hugee” I hate myself sometimes I really wish it came naturally. I pretend (and give it laldy) …but it’s not natural to me, but I hope it will be after many years in a perfect system.  After this article of Michelle’s I’m Gna try harder to be more responsive and loving. It’s a gift He gave us. Along with the wonderful provision of pure and wholesome beautiful marital love. Another whole subject but one I could write lots about …. 

Edited by Honeybarrel

1 hour ago, Hope said:

No... I think I'm "living" - more than simply "surviving". :) As much as is allowed to me, anyway.  I cannot add hugs to my diet or physical routine, unfortunately.  I'm pretty sure that if we *needed* lengthy hugs to live, Jehovah would ensure everyone received them.  Since that is not the case, I can't believe they are necessary for life... or even a happy life.  :shrugs:

I think you missing out of something and that is hugs. It may not be necessary or part of happy life, yet it is part of life. Much hugs to you sis:hugs: :hugs::hugs:

10 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

I think you missing out of something and that is hugs. It may not be necessary or part of happy life, yet it is part of life. Much hugs to you sis:hugs: :hugs::hugs:

2 Timothy 3:3 would bear out your point… I think it’s an essential part of life and Christian life :) .we should be the huggingest folk you ever did see to bear out the demonstration of love among ourselves. Hugs = natural affection

9 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

Thank you 😊  It's part of other people's lives, tho. Since I live alone, a blanket on my legs is all I qualify for. But it's okay.. it's warm. I have a 15 lb weighted blanket, too. Those will have to do. I don't have anyone for a ten second hug, let alone 20 secs or longer... you can't even get those at the Hall. It's just not my lot in life. 🤷🏽‍♀️

So... phooey on those studies. But it's great for those who got it like that- don't take it for granted!  🖤

52 minutes ago, Honeybarrel said:

I get you. My parents were not big huggers. Yet my kids (7,16,19,25) somehow still give me a hug and I find it really really hard to be the first hugger- I’m usually the “ hugee” I hate myself sometimes I really wish it came naturally. I pretend (and give it laldy) …but it’s not natural to me, but I hope it will be after many years in a perfect system.  After this article of Michelle’s I’m Gna try harder to be more responsive and loving. It’s a gift He gave us. Along with the wonderful provision of pure and wholesome beautiful marital love. Another whole subject but one I could write lots about …. 

Yeah we did alright by our kids because they are constantly hugging me too!  And they are boys. 😉

4 minutes ago, Jmystro said:

Hugs from Jehovah- Field Ministry Meetings”.

I would like to hear more about this 👍

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

12 hours ago, Hope said:

Thank you 😊  It's part of other people's lives, tho. Since I live alone, a blanket on my legs is all I qualify for. But it's okay.. it's warm. I have a 15 lb weighted blanket, too. Those will have to do. I don't have anyone for a ten second hug, let alone 20 secs or longer... you can't even get those at the Hall. It's just not my lot in life. 🤷🏽‍♀️

So... phooey on those studies. But it's great for those who got it like that- don't take it for granted!  🖤

No matter what situation we are in, we all are precious.

https://thoughtbrick.com/spirituality/experience-amma-hugging-mother/

My experience with Amma, the hugging mother

Spoiler

image.png.e5f4f4b958249e6dde0802f5aa67bd91.png

People will travel hours to see her and wait equally as long to experience just a few seconds in her embrace.

It was in the queue where I discovered that the event was going on all night, finishing at 9am the next day, which meant Amma would be hugging people all the way through the night. Where does this woman get her energy from?

I´m a big huggy :hugs: that´s part of the culture I grew up in and it´s one of the things I miss most now in the pandemic.

Just like Lucy said, I also hug my cat (he has no choice, can´t escape...hehe) - and I hope so much there will be a a day when I can hug a human again (not only for 10 seconds, I have backlog demand) - and who also will be willing to hug me.

Chrissy :wave: