JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Windows 11

I just bought a new desktop computer and a laptop, both of them are running Windows 11. So far it's great, easy to use. 

Has anyone here had any good or bad experience with Windows 11?

Any hints or tips that you would like to share?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

My wife's computer, and the "family" computer seem to be working well with Windows 11... So far no major issues. 

My computer (which meets the requirements) is still having trouble upgrading though. It keeps prompting me to upgrade but gets to 65% or so and then rolls back automatically. Fortunately the rollbacks work fine. But it would be nice to get it over with. It's a Dell Inspiron P97F if anyone else has seen issues...

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I just bought a new desktop computer and a laptop, both of them are running Windows 11.

So you have 22 windows together now? LOL ...🤣 forgive my silly mood :facepalmpo2:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Windows 11 updated on my laptop.
I miss the 'right-click' copy / paste routine. The renaming was easier on Win 10. I feel they could have this a bit smarter to mold to the user preferences.
With 2 screens on the laptop, I would put the taskbar on the side opposite of the screen. I can not work out how to do this on Win 11.
I added a second SSD. It came with a program called Samsung Magician. Whatever it does in the background; it continually throws up an error message every time I turn it on. Windows 11 memory manager prohibits the Samsung program from making memory changes in a folder. It cannot be changed, and I cannot find a 'work-around'.
With Win 10, I clicked on the message - it jumped to the folder- and I made a change to 'allow' Samsung to make changes. Not no more in 11.
I am patiently waiting for updates to fix this...

Old (Downunder) Tone

Snap layouts are a useful feature to snap your window into a preset position. Just hover your mouse over the maximize / restore button on the top right corner and select the position you want.

1667159517_ScreenShot02-01-22at12_30AM.PNG.0bf3460aa52b45cbbbca44d53df4d36f.PNG

This article also explains it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 9:50 PM, New World Explorer said:

So you have 22 windows together now? LOL ...🤣 forgive my silly mood :facepalmpo2:

In the new System we will become  windows 144. Then is over for all times. (think on the fibonacci row = 12x12)

it is only this )

Edited by Exter

grammar

• 2 months later...

I have setup an work colleagues new laptop that has Win11. I hate it, I found Win10 was bad enough, but Win11 takes it.to.another level. Most of the settings and options either are masked behind something else, or very hard to find.

It normally took me only an hour to setup a new computer that ran on Win7, but it blew out to 3hrs on Win10, and 4 and a bit for Win11.

Win11 is basically designed to monitor your every move, which Win10 started to do when it was introduced. There were only 7 areas you had to edit to make privacy secure in Win7, but there were over 43 areas in Win10, and Win11, it basically impossible, as it breaks Win11.

We deal with sensitive data but Microsoft wants to be like Google in knowing what you so on your machine.

As for Edge, when people were asking why they renamed MS web browser to EDGE, many had some wild ideas, however I posted that is stood for Extracting Data Gathering Engine, which the forum moderator had been served a notice from some lawyers to delete my post. I must have been way too close to the mark.

Thus I have set my Win10 laptop not to upgrade to Win11.

On 5/5/2022 at 9:05 AM, Pabo said:

I have setup an work colleagues new laptop that has Win11. I hate it, I found Win10 was bad enough, but Win11 takes it.to.another level. Most of the settings and options either are masked behind something else, or very hard to find.

It normally took me only an hour to setup a new computer that ran on Win7, but it blew out to 3hrs on Win10, and 4 and a bit for Win11.

Win11 is basically designed to monitor your every move, which Win10 started to do when it was introduced. There were only 7 areas you had to edit to make privacy secure in Win7, but there were over 43 areas in Win10, and Win11, it basically impossible, as it breaks Win11.

We deal with sensitive data but Microsoft wants to be like Google in knowing what you so on your machine.

As for Edge, when people were asking why they renamed MS web browser to EDGE, many had some wild ideas, however I posted that is stood for Extracting Data Gathering Engine, which the forum moderator had been served a notice from some lawyers to delete my post. I must have been way too close to the mark.

Thus I have set my Win10 laptop not to upgrade to Win11.

I re-installed Win10...much better for me..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

On 1/28/2022 at 6:05 PM, WilliamChew said:

1. I like the multiple desktops feature. I now can place long running programs (e.g. checking for bad sectors on the Hard disk) into a separate desktop out of view. 

2. Programs on the taskbar that are active now have a marker below the icon.

Both are also present in Windows 10.

I run Windows 11. I joined the beta/development group. Currently, I'm on 22H2, as are many people now.
On a positive note, I have not experienced the 'Blue Screen of Death'!

[They changed the colour!]

Old (Downunder) Tone

GreenScreen.jpg

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

I have been using Windows since version 3 - I have used all the incarnations for PC's through Windows 10. I could count on one hand the number of BSOD I have experienced and all of those led to hardware issues, not software glitches.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

BSODs or kernel panics are caused either by failing hardware or bad drivers and typically come with the error you are seeing:driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

in this case the driver is iastoravc.sys.  This driver is responsible for the intel sata raid controller (the interface with the hard drives in your computer)

This could point to a failing hard drive, or an incompatible driver.  This seems to be a more common issue with IRST(Intel Rapid Storage Technolgy) Driver.  I would look on your computer manufacturer's site to see if they have updated drivers.

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

I have been using Windows since version 3 - I have used all the incarnations for PC's through Windows 10. I could count on one hand the number of BSOD I have experienced and all of those led to hardware issues, not software glitches.

I remember Windows 3, even remember using DOS.

Thanksfor that driver tip.
I was too quick-off-the-mark buying a high- speed Samsung NVMe M.2 1TB SSD. Samsung had no drivers for it, and the Samsung Magician software would not recognize the drive.
Been nothing but trouble...
It reminded me that I no longer have the patience to ride the technology curve.
And I was also reminded -don't believe all the hype about 'new' products.
I was on the Samsung tech centre for months with no response. After about 8 months they said to send it back as it was 'faulty' and they would give me a refund. By then I misplaced my original SSD (I know, I know - but M.2's are tiny) and I could not clone it back (I searched for months).
So I said I would buy (and pay for) a new (tested) one, clone it (I had to use CrystalDisk) and then apply for the refund for my original purchase.
Samdung could not supply a 'tested/working' one. Out of stock...

NOTE to self: Don't believe everything you read!

Old (Downunder) Tone

I have one of these

image.png.e803949f1b9bceeeaef5c5a5987c668a.png

No problems from day one ... working just fine with Windows 10

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

...which just works.

🤣 sorry had to clean to spit off my screen when I read that....Nothing just works.  

While I prefer linux, I have lost my fair share of sleep trying to get stuff to work like, radeon, renoir audio drivers, nvidia, broadcom, acpi, qhd...I could go on and on.