JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Civil protests are increasing around the world

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 539 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I think we can all agree we are seeing unprecedented increase in civil protests (though of course there has always been protests particularly emphasising the fragility of the clay and iron).

But seeing what is happening with Canada (I just don't get that one) with trucks blocking the capital and causing unreasonable disruption (including honking all night! Imagine living there, poor people).https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-08/canada-ottawa-trucker-protest-explainer/100812524

And it's happening also in other places, like in Canberra.  Similar to the Canada protest, and I think they have basically copied it, the truckers have moved in along with other anti-vax and anti-mandate protesters.  They have already been told to move on from their original camping spot on the lawns of the National Library of Australia, in the parliamentary precinct.  

"Many demonstrators at today's march had spent the week camping on the Patrick White Lawns, near the National Library of Australia, as part of the Convoy to Canberra protest.

Police conducted a large operation yesterday to remove camping equipment and illegally parked vehicles from the area.

While peaceful protests within the parliamentary are permitted, camping and parking without a permit is not."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-05/thousands-of-protesters-against-mandatory-vaccination-act/100807560

And so this weekend, these protesters plan to menace a mass vaccination hub, where children are being vaccinated and encouraged to come dress a superheroes for the "Superhero Saturday" vaccine blitz.

"A female protest leader urged demonstrators not to "cause problems because there's children there".

"But it might be nice to circumnavigate the whole place with a few cars to let them know that we're watching them," she said.

The speaker expressed disgust that the "evil" clinic would be mostly vaccinating children on Saturday.

"To make it even worse, you know what they've asked of the kids? To come as their favourite superhero," she told the crowd."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-11/canberra-braces-for-vaccine-protests-and-disruptions/100822112

No wonder we are being advised to be prepared for this sort of civil unrest - it's only going to get a lot worse.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/jw-meeting-workbook/may-june-2022-mwb/Life-and-Ministry-Meeting-Schedule-for-May-23-29-2022/Are-You-Prepared-to-Face-Civil-Unrest/

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

trucks blocking the capital and causing unreasonable disruption (including honking all night!

I thing a judge ruled it unlawful for the trucks to honk!

• An Ontario judge granted a 10-day injunction on Monday that forbids truckers parked on city streets in downtown Ottawa from constantly honking their horns. "Tooting a horn is not an expression of any great thought I'm aware of," Ontario Superior Court Justice Hugh McLean said during court proceedings, according to the CBC.

conan obrien ups GIF by Team Coco

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/11/americas/canada-truckers-protests-covid-friday/index.html

Canada judge issues injunction allowing police to remove protesters at critical bridge to US

A Canadian judge issued an injunction that will allow police to end the ongoing blockade at the busiest international crossing in North America after Covid-19 demonstrations have disrupted the supply chain and triggered a state of emergency in the country's most populous province.

France has now also a truckers protest, reminiscent of the "Yellow Vest" protests before covid.

"France mobilised thousands of police, armoured personnel carriers and water cannon trucks in Paris on Friday to keep out convoys of motorists converging on the capital for a protest against COVID-19 restrictions. Checkpoints were set up at toll points on major entry roads while riot-control barriers were erected across the city centre ahead of rallies that the protesters aim to hold over the weekend.

Inspired by horn-blaring “Freedom Convoy” demonstrations in Canada, the motorists - from numerous cities across France - were expected to gather outside Paris during Friday and seek to defy a police order not to enter the city.

“We’ve been going around in circles for three years,” said pensioner Jean-Marie Azais, part of a “Convoie de Liberte” headed to the capital from the southwest, in reference to France’s anti-COVID strategy. “We saw the Canadians and said to ourselves, ‘It’s awesome, what they’re doing.’ In eight days, boom, something was sparked.”

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20220211-macron-urges-calm-as-french-freedom-convoy-motorists-close-in-on-paris

They are planning something here too in the US from coast to coast. They are planning on blocking major roadways and trying to disrupt the superbowl. They would also like to disrupt Biden's state of the union address. 

The article says that this is about vaccine mandates "among other things." Wonder what the other things are. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/02/10/truckers-convoys-may-target-super-bowl-bidens-state-union/6738641001/

19 hours ago, Saffron said:

They are planning something here too in the US from coast to coast. They are planning on blocking major roadways and trying to disrupt the superbowl. They would also like to disrupt Biden's state of the union address. 

The article says that this is about vaccine mandates "among other things." Wonder what the other things are. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/02/10/truckers-convoys-may-target-super-bowl-bidens-state-union/6738641001/

On the news here they say that they also protest against higher prices on food, fuel and so on. 

I find it interesting that during these protests, many have made comments comparing the mask mandate to the holocaust... I sometimes wonder if such people even hear themselves? What will they be protesting next, handwashing? sigh...

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Alot of people are fed up with the government, price gouging, mask mandates and alot of other things they consider injustice… I feel bad for people, but I wish they could see how such protests usually bring out the crazies and lead to looting/vandalism and innocent bystanders getting hurt or worse…. Even if people have good intentions, not everyone is like that… 

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

13 hours ago, cricket246 said:

the government, price gouging, mask mandates and a lot of other things they consider injustice… I feel bad for people

Thank you Cricket!!   Sunday's Watchtower study showed the why and benefit of showing fellow-feeling (Jehovah expects us to be Holy).   Sometimes in service I mute the friends and just watch because they sound judgmental and unfeeling!  When I try to explain WHY people are doing these things I feel like an apostate because I have taken the time to know what is going on!  I had to mention it to someone last year and she quickly said "oh I wouldn't say that to someone in service" but I hear it and "it hurts my feelings FOR people" when I hear US talking that way, it is almost hypocritical.  I live in a pretty abusive marital situation with precious little conversation and really need encouragement.  Having a feeling of sympathy for others and seeing their point of view doesn't change our stand on Christ's Kingdom as the REAL solution but it can give your heart a head start on saying right things.    Maybe we (as secondary American's) can also learn something from looking into what has happened to Canadians because it has happened here too, but most of us don't know it yet...   I remember one brother who was taken from his home in Russia had to help his wife have a better attitude about it he told her 'the quicker you accept things as they really are the faster you can see how to move successfully in that situation' I cannot recall his name and I am paraphrasing but it touched me how true.  

• 5 months later...

I’m just watching the news and all the massive protests among a crumbling system. 

Lebanon:

A man threatened to set himself on fire and to kill everyone in the branch, pointing his weapon in the bank manager's face." 

He said he stormed the bank because his father "was admitted to hospital some time ago for an operation and could not pay for it". 

During the hostage situation, a crowd gathered outside the bank, many of them chanting, "Down with the rule of the banks!" 

"Bassam you are a hero!" cheering bystanders chanted outside the bank. 

The incident was the latest involving local banks and angry depositors unable to access savings that have been locked in Lebanese banks since the country's economic crisis began in 2019. 

Lebanon has been mired in an economic crisis for more than two years since the market value of the local currency began to plummet and banks started to enforce draconian restrictions on foreign and local currency withdrawals. 

Lenders have also prevented transfers of money abroad.”

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/hero-lebanon-hostage-taker-turns-self-in-after-partial-funds-payout/uodkdmoiu?cid=newsapp:socialshare:copylink

Brazil:

Protests around democracy because people feel the election results will hot be accepted by Jair Bolsonaro á La Trump. 
Brazilians march in defence of democracy over Bolsonaro election fears https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-62516251

21 hours ago, zoebarry said:

I expect that we will see some major unrest soon here in the US.

Here,  locally,  some Witnesses keep talking about avoiding the downtown Akron area,  especially at night, due to ongoing protests over a police shooting that they happened just prior to the July 4th weekend. 

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/news/2022/08/02/akron-neighborhoods-national-night-out-canceled-over-safety-concerns/10218442002/

The National Night Out events Thursday in Akron's Goodyear Heights, Highland Square and Middlebury neighborhoods have been canceled, with organizers citing safety concerns and possible protests relating to the fatal Akron police shooting of Jayland Walker. With thunderstorms fanning out across the area Thursday afternoon and expected into the evening, it was not immediately clear whether activities planned in other neighborhoods would go on as scheduled.

This cancelation was just last week 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here’s a new (gaining popularity now) type of protest:

Soup on a Van Gogh, mashed potatoes on a Monet: Why are activists throwing food on priceless art?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-28/why-are-activists-throwing-food-on-art/101589870

Protesting at a gallery is nothing new, but there's been quite a few demonstrations just this year alone at exhibitions around the world.

In July, climate activists glued themselves to Sandro Botticelli's Primavera at Galleria Degli Uffizi in Florence.

In May, a man was arrested and placed in psychiatric care after he smeared the Mona Lisawith cake at The Louve in Paris.

Closer to home, two protesters were arrested in Melbourne earlier this month after gluing themselves to the protective covering of a Picasso print at the National Gallery of Victoria (NGV).

Recently, protesters at London's National Gallery threw tomato soup on Vincent Van Gogh's Sunflowers.

Days later, liquefied mashed potatoes were thrown on Claude Monet's Les Meules (Haystacks) in Germany.

Now, the Girl with a Pearl Earring by Johannes Vermeer is the latest masterpiece to be targeted in the Netherlands.

None of these artworks have been damaged, but the protests have grabbed global attention. They are protesting mainly about climate change.