JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pray For Our Ukrainian Brothers and Sisters

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 694 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/ukraine/Brothers-Courageously-Deliver-Aid-Rescue-Others-in-Ukrainian-War-Zone/

So much courage and wise direction from our wonderful God, Jehovah. 

Vasyl, his wife, Natalia, and their three children huddled for several days in the basement of their house. On February 29, 2022, a bomb exploded near the house as they took shelter. The shock wave destroyed their home. Vasyl remembers hearing the explosion’s deafening sound and seeing all of the lights in the basement going out.

I wondered about the date in this paragraph and I checked the Ukraine calendar and they changed to the Gregorian calendar, the same as ours, in 2017 but the Julian calendar also has only 28 days in February this year, so I think the brothers must mean March 1st? Or maybe a typo and it was Feb 28.

I know that in the bigger scheme of things it is irrelevant but I was curious.  It is very unusual for the brothers to make a mistake.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

From a reliable person but cannot verify: 

Message from Ukraine:

Hello Arturo and Gloria. my husband and I are fine. my parents and sister live 100 km from Kyiv. it's quiet there now, but there are air raid alerts from time to time. Here is one case that the sister sent today. Take heart and you: A case from the Zaporozhye region.

My fellow believers and I decided to leave the occupied territory; there were 4 cars of Witnesses in the column. The road was very difficult, in our car there was me with an 11 year old child, a sister with sons 24 and 12 years old. There were about 30 checkpoints along the way, and at the last one, the cars of fellow believers were let through, but we were not, because cross-fire began, under which we stood for 3 hours.
 It was very scary, we prayed incessantly, but at some point in our minds each of us said goodbye to life. When it began to get dark, and heavy artillery went into action, the military turned our column around and sent us to some small, remote village. On the way there, terrible explosions were heard, and the sister recited Psalm 23 aloud from memory, and this calmed us.
 The village where we arrived was half empty, many houses were abandoned or closed due to shelling, people did not go outside and did not turn on the lights in the houses. Our column drove through the whole village and stopped at the very last street.
 Two local residents, seeing the situation, went out and began to resettle women with small children at home for the night.
 It became completely dark and cold outside, and we had absolutely no water or food left. We were very tired. We thought that we would have to spend the night in the car, since everyone had already been settled and only we were left on the street.
 Seeing our situation, an elderly local man approached us and offered us to spend the night with him, and we happily agreed. The house was large, clean, comfortable, the stove was heated, there was food. This man immediately surrounded us with care. We needed to contact fellow believers who managed to pass and report that we were alive, as they understood that trouble had happened to us. There is no connection in this village, and in order to make a call, you need to climb onto the roof, which Sergey (the owner) suggested doing. I went with him to catch a cosmic connection on the roof of the house. On the way, we had such a conversation with him.
 Julia: “We are so glad that we got to you, we are very grateful for your care!”
 Sergey: “I prayed that they would come, and I was useful to someone!”
 Yulia: “We also prayed not to stay on the street. You are a believer, and what God do you pray to?
 Sergei: “I pray to Jehovah God, I am a Jehovah's Witness!”
 Yulia: “I couldn’t believe my ears, I burst into tears and hugged him, saying that we are all Jehovah’s Witnesses too!”
 I went into the house all in tears, and all the time I said: “You won’t believe it, you won’t believe it !!!
 And Sergey took the Bible and the Watchtower with an article about the supper, went into the room and said: “I am your brother!”
 And then everyone burst into tears, and everyone rushed to hug him !! And we cried and laughed at the same time. At that moment, we all clearly realized that this was a miracle.
 It turns out that for many years he was the only Witness in the entire district of many villages, he had not seen his brothers and sisters for a long time, he had not experienced personal contact for a long time, he listened to meetings by phone. He prayed that he would meet one of our Witnesses. And we realized that Jehovah brought us to him, for encouragement and assurance that Jehovah did not forget him, and loves him very much. And for ourselves, we realized that even when the situation seems hopeless: a difficult road, the fact that we did not pass the last checkpoint, remained under shelling, and after all, we said goodbye to our lives, it is necessary to maintain hope and trust in Jehovah to the end, because he definitely have a plan and a way out!

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

14 minutes ago, Chris7 said:

From a reliable person but cannot verify: 

Message from Ukraine:

Hello Arturo and Gloria. my husband and I are fine. my parents and sister live 100 km from Kyiv. it's quiet there now, but there are air raid alerts from time to time. Here is one case that the sister sent today. Take heart and you: A case from the Zaporozhye region.

My fellow believers and I decided to leave the occupied territory; there were 4 cars of Witnesses in the column. The road was very difficult, in our car there was me with an 11 year old child, a sister with sons 24 and 12 years old. There were about 30 checkpoints along the way, and at the last one, the cars of fellow believers were let through, but we were not, because cross-fire began, under which we stood for 3 hours.
 It was very scary, we prayed incessantly, but at some point in our minds each of us said goodbye to life. When it began to get dark, and heavy artillery went into action, the military turned our column around and sent us to some small, remote village. On the way there, terrible explosions were heard, and the sister recited Psalm 23 aloud from memory, and this calmed us.
 The village where we arrived was half empty, many houses were abandoned or closed due to shelling, people did not go outside and did not turn on the lights in the houses. Our column drove through the whole village and stopped at the very last street.
 Two local residents, seeing the situation, went out and began to resettle women with small children at home for the night.
 It became completely dark and cold outside, and we had absolutely no water or food left. We were very tired. We thought that we would have to spend the night in the car, since everyone had already been settled and only we were left on the street.
 Seeing our situation, an elderly local man approached us and offered us to spend the night with him, and we happily agreed. The house was large, clean, comfortable, the stove was heated, there was food. This man immediately surrounded us with care. We needed to contact fellow believers who managed to pass and report that we were alive, as they understood that trouble had happened to us. There is no connection in this village, and in order to make a call, you need to climb onto the roof, which Sergey (the owner) suggested doing. I went with him to catch a cosmic connection on the roof of the house. On the way, we had such a conversation with him.
 Julia: “We are so glad that we got to you, we are very grateful for your care!”
 Sergey: “I prayed that they would come, and I was useful to someone!”
 Yulia: “We also prayed not to stay on the street. You are a believer, and what God do you pray to?
 Sergei: “I pray to Jehovah God, I am a Jehovah's Witness!”
 Yulia: “I couldn’t believe my ears, I burst into tears and hugged him, saying that we are all Jehovah’s Witnesses too!”
 I went into the house all in tears, and all the time I said: “You won’t believe it, you won’t believe it !!!
 And Sergey took the Bible and the Watchtower with an article about the supper, went into the room and said: “I am your brother!”
 And then everyone burst into tears, and everyone rushed to hug him !! And we cried and laughed at the same time. At that moment, we all clearly realized that this was a miracle.
 It turns out that for many years he was the only Witness in the entire district of many villages, he had not seen his brothers and sisters for a long time, he had not experienced personal contact for a long time, he listened to meetings by phone. He prayed that he would meet one of our Witnesses. And we realized that Jehovah brought us to him, for encouragement and assurance that Jehovah did not forget him, and loves him very much. And for ourselves, we realized that even when the situation seems hopeless: a difficult road, the fact that we did not pass the last checkpoint, remained under shelling, and after all, we said goodbye to our lives, it is necessary to maintain hope and trust in Jehovah to the end, because he definitely have a plan and a way out!

Very nice, is it the same experience posted on the previous page?

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

15 minutes ago, Michał said:

Very nice, is it the same experience posted on the previous page?

Thanks Michael, I should have checked. 

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

39 minutes ago, Chris7 said:

Thanks Michael, I should have checked. 

All of us do it sometimes. No worries 😉 

So, there are 19 people from Ukraine in our congregation. People from four families came to our polish meeting today including two pregnant sisters. They attend their Ukrainian meetings in their original congregations but understandably want to come and see others in person. One sister said that they don’t understand all the words but the main meaning is clear. All of them looked happy and if I didn’t know I couldn’t say they are all war refugees. I’m looking forward to our Polish-Ukrainian special spiritual program this Saturday. 

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

21 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

On February 29, 2022, a bomb exploded near the house as they took shelter.

It has been updated, and now reads:

On February 28, 2022, a bomb exploded near the house as they took shelter.

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/ukraine/Brothers-Courageously-Deliver-Aid-Rescue-Others-in-Ukrainian-War-Zone/

3 hours ago, Parale said:

It has been updated, and now reads:

On February 28, 2022, a bomb exploded near the house as they took shelter.

So just a slip of the finger on to the wrong number. So easily done. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

18 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

So just a slip of the finger on to the wrong number. So easily done. 

Hmmmm.... The issue would seem to be that a demonstrably wrong date was able to get through all the checks, and proof-reading, and fact-checking, that our brothers and sisters do at WHQ before it was posted on to the jw.org website 😟

I see that the latest update - Number Seven / 29 April 2022 - has now been posted on jw.org 🙂

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/ukraine/UPDATE-7-Brotherly-Love-Prevails-Amid-Ongoing-Crisis-in-Ukraine/

In part it hightlights that: "Although a complete report from all congregations in Ukraine is not yet available, it is known that more than 210,000 people attended the Memorial."

For comparision with previous years:

• 2017: 229,126
  • 2018: 217,417
  • 2019: 208,844
  • 2020: 230,656
  • 2021: 264,176
  • 2022: Over 210,000 (incomplete)

Edited by Parale

9 hours ago, Parale said:

For comparision with previous years:

• 2017: 229,126
  • 2018: 217,417
  • 2019: 208,844
  • 2020: 230,656
  • 2021: 264,176
  • 2022: Over 210,000 (incomplete)

Thousands of Ukrainian witnesses observed the Memorial in neighboring countries: there were quite a few in our Polish congregation. 

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

20 minutes ago, Michał said:

Thousands of Ukrainian witnesses observed the Memorial in neighboring countries: there were quite a few in our Polish congregation. 

Yes, that latest Update said that 19,961 publishers had fled to other countries, although we do not know how many of those may have 'zoomed' into their home congregations in Ukraine to observe the Memorial.

Edited by Parale

8 hours ago, Parale said:

Yes, that latest Update said that 19,961 publishers had fled to other countries, although we do not know how many of those may have 'zoomed' into their home congregations in Ukraine to observe the Memorial.

Yes, thats exactly it. I think majority connect on their Zoom to Ukrainian congregations but some were in other countries. My take is that this number 210 000+ is incredibly high for Ukrainian branch given the circumstances. But we’ll have to wait for global totals to see everything (I guess it could reach even 23M)

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 5:11 PM, Sofia said:

we are not in GT YET. Imagine when we are

Some of us are experiencing great tribulation right now.

OVER-Imagining tribulation now will cause us unecessary anxiety which we cannot expect Jehovah to assist us with especially, over and above what he has already provided. The encouragement Jesus gave to not be anxious about the next day (Matt.6:34), and the reassurance he gave that Jehovah will be there to support in facing accusers (Matt.10:19) is available to us now, along with the avenue of prayer, (Ph.4:7).

We have only to look at how faithful ones are now enduring with Jehovah's support to know how we will also be IF we continue to rely on Jehovah at that time. Hebrew 13:5-6 “I will never leave you, and I will never abandon you.” So that we may be of good courage and say: “Jehovah is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

On 4/14/2022 at 3:26 PM, Kiku said:

Right now there is no compulsory draft for "clergy of registered religious organizations", what we are. However, we need to take 2 years and 3 months alternative civilian service at minimal payment. And this is now very poorly organized in many regions. Therefore, many brothers are in a state of waiting for the instructions of the authorities.

i was born in communistic state Yugoslavia where brothers were inprisoned for neutrality form 1955-1990. some of them for more than 5-7 years. earlier, from 1947-1955. they were sentenced to death and executed by firing squad. in my country Croatia, part of Yugolavia which collapsed in same time as soviet union it was war too.. in 1990-1999. but brothers dont want join to army, ofc, some of them were imprisoned shortly, few weeks maybi till new law was released 1 year after war starts: althernative civilian service 18 months, (regular army service was 6 months) but with not salary at all. nothing. no food, no where to sleep. my very good friend brother lived at home, and his wife taked burden of that, she was working for normal salary but they lived very poorly that 18 months. worse, he lost good job. some brothers served ih hospials, and they had food and bed to sleep. some of hem work night shifts. it was not easy.. army and civilian service was cancelled in 2002. i think. now politicians make new law for army service for men because war in Ukraine, god help us.