JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library-Failure to update

This year I started to have problems with updating Watchtower Library.

I am running it on my desktop using Windows 10.

So I reinstalled Watchtower Library and updated. It got to 2022 but Study Watchtower stopped at January issue.

Then I am getting same message "failure to validate update package"

I have tried manual updates and read FAQ in Watchtower Library.

Nothing has worked. Any suggestions that can help? 

1 hour ago, Foxes53 said:

Nothing has worked

Try this ...🤣

Spoiler

For truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard grain, you will say to this software, ‘update from here to there,’ and it will update, and nothing will be impossible for you

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

3 hours ago, Foxes53 said:

So I reinstalled Watchtower Library and updated. It got to 2022 but Study Watchtower stopped at January issue.

Does any publication download or update?  Or is it just some items that fail?

5 hours ago, Foxes53 said:

There is an extra step in the FAQ, did you try this?

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=802013318&srcid=share

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

55 minutes ago, Foxes53 said:

Thanks. I saw that but could not locate either of 2 files mentioned.

Did you get the right folder? It says to go to C:\ProgramData\Watchtower\WTLibrary. That is a different folder than the usual Program Files. On some systems, ProgramData is set with the hidden attribute, or perhaps the system attribute, and so cannot be seen normally. In File Explorer, go to File --> Change folder and search options --> View. Once there, select Show hidden files, folders and drives and uncheck Hide protected operating system files. With those settings you be able to see virtually everything on your hard drive, including the ProgramData folder. (When you're done, put the settings back the way they were.)

58 minutes ago, Sheep said:

When you're done, put the settings back the way they were.

I leave the hidden files/directories/folders visible on my PC all the time. It doesn't hurt anything if they are visible - just makes them accessible.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 hours ago, Sheep said:

Did you get the right folder? It says to go to C:\ProgramData\Watchtower\WTLibrary. That is a different folder than the usual Program Files. On some systems, ProgramData is set with the hidden attribute, or perhaps the system attribute, and so cannot be seen normally. In File Explorer, go to File --> Change folder and search options --> View. Once there, select Show hidden files, folders and drives and uncheck Hide protected operating system files. With those settings you be able to see virtually everything on your hard drive, including the ProgramData folder. (When you're done, put the settings back the way they were.)

Thanks Eric. Followed your suggestions, deleted 2 files and Library has now updated successfully.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I am also not able to update. In the update.log I find this:

08-05-2022 09-04-21-04M: Platform 2.10, Build 10651
08-05-2022 09-04-21-04M: ERROR: Failed to validate package: Package is not signed by Watchtower:

08-05-2022 09-04-33-04M: ERROR: Failed to validate package: Package is not signed by Watchtower:

08-05-2022 09-06-23-06M: Uses proxy env variable no_proxy == '192.168.99.100'

08-05-2022 09-06-23-06M:   Trying 23.213.161.19:443...

08-05-2022 09-06-23-06M: Connected to download-a.akamaihd.net (23.213.161.19) port 443 (#0)

08-05-2022 09-06-23-06M: ALPN, offering h2

08-05-2022 09-06-23-06M: ALPN, offering http/1.1

08-05-2022 09-06-23-06M: successfully set certificate verify locations:

08-05-2022 09-06-23-06M:   CAfile: C:\ProgramData\Watchtower\WTLibrary\Temp\MEPAB8E.tmp
  CApath: none

Is "download-a.akamaihd.net" the right location?

looking at your error it looks like the certs aren't right.  This is discussed in the FAQ:

https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/watchtower-library/faqs/

In brief follow these steps:

1. In File Explorer, open the folder “C:\ProgramData\Watchtower\WTLibrary.”
  2. Delete the following two files:
    1. a.ca-bundle.zip
    2. b.cert.pem

• 1 year later...

hi I have the same problem, I tried to find the files to delete but despite making hidden files visible I couldn't see the files to delete.  In desperation I deleted my watchtower library and reinstalled it.  When the new install tried to update I received the unable to validate update message again.  The problem now though is now my Watchtower library is completely empty

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Watchtower Library has just updated with meeting Workbooks for 2024 Jan/Feb and March/April and Watchtower study edition for 2024 Jan/Feb

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."