JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Minimalistic Lifestyle

Hey friends. 
Have anyone tried or are living a minimalistic lifestyle? I started a few weeks ago and the feeling is awesome. If you have let’s exchange ideas along with challenges and benefits you are getting. There might be someone thinking about trying but just don’t know where to start. Let’s discuss. 

Posted (edited)

What is "minimalist"? One plate, fork, spoon, knife, bowl? One chair, one bed, two sets of sheets & towels (gotta wash one and use the other).  12 mix/match clothing items?  Do we ever want guests?

For me, the stress of even thinking about getting rid of things would outweigh whatever "awesome" feeling might come of it... :shrugs:

Edited by Hope

The needs of everyone is unique and differs from person to person. What May be your needs may not be for someone else. No need to anxious. Think about it, what type life did Jesus lived? He was able to move from place to place without having any anxiety about what was left behind. 

6 hours ago, Alikay said:

Hey friends. 
Have anyone tried or are living a minimalistic lifestyle? I started a few weeks ago and the feeling is awesome. If you have let’s exchange ideas along with challenges and benefits you are getting. There might be someone thinking about trying but just don’t know where to start. Let’s discuss. 

Oh yes; I have ordered my new Maserati with fabric seats, as I thought leather ones would be materialistic 🤣 (humor) 

Point is:

We all have different definitions of minimalistic lifestyle so please elaborate with more details what you mean to have this conversation. (Give some examples if you can) 

8 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

We all have different definitions of minimalistic lifestyle so please elaborate with more details

We have a lot of financially independent residents that have adopted a minimalistic lifestyle. I see them sleeping in Bus stops and under bridges.

3 hours ago, Alikay said:

The needs of everyone is unique and differs from person to person. What May be your needs may not be for someone else. No need to anxious. Think about it, what type life did Jesus lived? He was able to move from place to place without having any anxiety about what was left behind. 

I cannot live the life of Jesus. I'm nearly twice his human age and need money/job to live. 

And moving is highly overrated 🥴

4 hours ago, BLEmom said:

A part of me would like to have very few “things”.  Then my aches and pains come and I break out my machinery….

My dream would be to live in some type of travel vehicle and live in different places exploring.   I’m nowhere near that dream. Lol

I got the same dreams. 

The range of my ideas in our movements goes from: with our own feet, by bike, by train, by ship, with Hyperloop - 1000km/h. - with Bimp or Zeppelin- with Beaming. Everything in its time. Everything that has a minimal impact on the environment. Ultimately, will align us with the advice of our heavenly government and earthly administration. I would like to call myself a very imaginative person, but also a practical individual.

28 minutes ago, Michelle81 said:

I think the term "minimalist" is vague. I'd say I'm frugal and conservative with the amount of belongings I have. 

I am totaĺly by you, dear Michelle. I want to and will also be very economical with the treasures of our planet. Now, as well as I can. And 100% perfect in the New System.

I don't know what the OP means. But I did watch a Netflix documentary on minimalistic living and it doesn't necessarily mean living a poor lifestyle. It just broadens the perspective that we can live with less. Many of the things we own are necessary, and the burden of owning many things could make us feel empty. Like sister hope and a few mentioned, it really depends on an individual's needs and the size of a family. 

The takeaway from the movie is living with less contributes to a stress-free life. And there is a substantial amount of truth in it. So, I have decided that the latest Tesla plaid s, a sufficient amount of clean outfit, a cinema-sized TV for a good viewing experience, and a couple of other everyday stuff is okay for me in my goal of becoming a minimalist 🙂

On 5/13/2022 at 8:31 AM, Alikay said:

He was able to move from place to place without having any anxiety about what was left behind. 

Do you think this is viable for most worshipers of Jehovah in our days? Many have family responsibilities, children go to school, elderly ones need medical and emotional care. Majority cannot live like nomads for many reasons. Simple life is different to minimalistic life. We build kingdoms halls to worship Jehovah in a designated area, designated circuits and branches. 
Ap Paul moved a lot, but visited congregations  were others lived permanently without moving. 
Balance is needed when serving Jehovah, but simple life proved to elevate a lot of stress in our lifestyle. 
But I am not sure how minimalistic lifestyle helps us in this regard, because those two are way different to me.