JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Stock Market

Alphabet (GOOGL) split its two classes of shares (GOOG) by a 20-to-1 margin, a move that reduced the price of one share from just over $2,200 on Friday to about $110 on Monday. Does anyone here plan to buy?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have never bought any stock.

I did read that Netflix may face "total devastation" if their stock drops again next Tuesday - and the trend may hit other streaming services as well.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

5 hours ago, Doak said:

I don't know anything about the stock market, but I'd love to make some extra money out of it.

I think It will be good to begin with understanding the terms stocks and shares very well.

A share is the smallest unit of the investment a company allows,you can buy more than one shares to earn more interest.
When you buy a share or shares you are contributing more for the running of the company and deserve to earn interest on your investment that is proportionate to the money you contributed by buying the share.

As a unit,a share has a  price and fixed earning after an agreed time called earning per share(EPS).

So if someone buys a share from Dangote company at $500 per share and the EPS is   $150 quarterly,it means that after the first four month you will have an interest of $150 if you purchased only one share which means you have a total of $650 after the first four months(quarterly).

But if you purchased ten shares which will cost  $5000 at $500 per share and $150 EPS ,your interest will be $1500 after the first four months which will give a total sum of $6500 after the first four months (quarterly).

When you buy more than one shares you collectively call them a stock of shares.

On 7/20/2022 at 9:33 AM, Tortuga said:

Alphabet (GOOGL) split its two classes of shares (GOOG) by a 20-to-1 margin, a move that reduced the price of one share from just over $2,200 on Friday to about $110 on Monday. Does anyone here plan to buy?

Googl has tripled in value in the last 6 years. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

21 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Googl has tripled in value in the last 6 years. 

My concern is that alphabet.inc(Googl) does not pay the interest(dividend) on the shares to shareholders.actually they have never done that right from inception and no one knows when the company intends to begin paying the dividend.

which makes me to worry if it is really safe buying their shares since one may have to wait for his entire lifetime for the expected dividend plus the sleepless nights.

put simpy,their shares does not have a clear plan to attract investors.

I can imagine that the reason why they are making their shares cheaper is because they are loosing patronage since people can't trust it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 9:46 AM, Doak said:

I don't know anything about the stock market, but I'd love to make some extra money out of it.

Too much manipulation in the stock market.  If you want stocks, using a robo investor like Wealthfront is better.  Let them deal with the market.  Less stress.  Not sure what's available in your country, but look into robo investors...

On 7/20/2022 at 11:33 AM, Tortuga said:

Nope, I'm buying crypto.  Now's the time to accumulate, and I am expecting at least 15x on my money for the next bull run.  I'm already up 10-75% on the coins I've selected, since I bought them on July 1st.  I got one coin in particular that I have high hopes for.  If it gets to the same market cap as a similar competitor, this particular coin can go up 150x!  Not holding my breath on that, and DEFINITELY NOT betting the house, of course.  :raspberry:  But these are the kinds of things you can get with crypto.  I sold VET for a 1600% profit in April 2021, and MANA for a 1200% profit.  You can't get that with Google....  

You just gotta do research and make careful picks....

I've been staying away from Crypto. I can't get past the "you are buying nothing but an imaginary number" part. At least with a stock or ETF you are actually buying a portion of one more actual companies. But each their own.

I have a few that I like, PBW is one - it is an ETF for several clean energy companies - especially solar. It looks like congress in the US will be passing their clean energy bill coming up. It's a bet on that actually happening - we'll see. Goldman Sach (GS) is another I watch closely. As interest rates rise, banks should be making even more money. In fact, its rare for banks to NOT make more money, but inflation did have an impact on them. So, there is another bet - that inflation will slow and interest rates will rise. If you think that too - then a large bank like GS is a solid bet. Bank of America (backed by Warren Buffet) BAC seems another large bank worth keeping an eye on.

The part about stocks and ETFs is they really are bets like anything else. You make an educated guess on what you think will happen with the local and global ecenomy. OR better - as suggested above - find a good money management place, let them know your risk level and go from there. We also have a small amont invested in Northwest Mutual (NM) as they are that type of company. As we started in Feb that has NOT been a great bet, YET. The DOW ( a good indicator of the overall stock market) is down 10% still from year to date (YTD). I'm only down 7% with NM YTD, so they beat the overall market, but not by much.

OK - just some random thoughts.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

2 minutes ago, trottigy said:

At least with a stock or ETF you are actually buying a portion of one more actual companies.

The problem with that is they can put out new shares and dilute your ownership.  Just look at what Twitter did (or was considering doing...I forget) just before Elon entered into contract to buy them.  They pulled some strings to make his shares less controlling.

Or if you dig into the Dryships (DRYS) fiasco....lost money to that scam.  They diluted their stock again and again and again and again.  Looking at the max chart is funny because allegedly at one point in time, a single share was worth $1.5 billion.  8-)  Then you got stuff like Waitr (WTRH).  Solid, excellent company.  I use them from time to time.  They announce they're buying another company....suddenly their stock price goes from $2.20 to $0.14.  :facepalmpo2:

Bitcoin exists because of junk like that.  There are 21 million Bitcoins that will ever exist...period.  No more, no less.  No company to change things on you and/or pull the rug out from you.  Can't say the same for ALL of crypto.  99% of the rest are essentially like stock.  But Bitcoin is king because there's no company pulling the strings behind the scenes.  And crypto is working very very hard to become mainstream.  It's not going away.  And if this system of things keeps on going, I'm getting a piece of this pie while it's still cheap...

https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/feature/Common-cryptocurrency-scams

8. Fake cryptocurrency exchanges

Scammers may lure investors in with promises of a great cryptocurrency exchange -- maybe even some additional bitcoin. But in reality, there is no exchange and the investor does not know it's fake until after they lose their deposit.

Stick to known crypto exchange markets -- such as Coinbase, Crypto.com and Cash App -- to avoid an unfamiliar exchange. Do some research and check industry sites for details about the exchange's reputation and legitimacy before entering any personal information.

This is the one that get me. You have to make sure your exchange is legit, but even the legit ones could eventually end up being scams.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

1 minute ago, trottigy said:

https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/feature/Common-cryptocurrency-scams

This is the one that get me. You have to make sure your exchange is legit, but even the legit ones could eventually end up being scams.

Absolutely.  That's why "not your keys, not your crypto" is a saying.  You need to buy a hardware wallet and transfer your crypto to it.  This bear market was so bad, there were 25+ legit exchanges that had to file for bankruptcy.  It's still the wild west with crypto....you definitely need to do your research before buying into it!!  It's not something to blindly throw money at.  :wink: