JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Translating the forums

I know some of you who are not fluent in English use some software so that the forums are translated into your language. When you post something, it is translated into English too.

What software do you use? Can you please explain in a simple way how you do it?

We have some members who cannot speak English and don't know how to use a translator this way and they would benefit a lot from such step by step explanations.

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

For hochhom languages jih neh let Google translated by 'oh - for for the tlhingan, wa' of the several translators founding with A Google search

I am afraid you lost us somewhere in deep space ....LOL 🤣

Rescue mission please. :borg:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

28 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

Prove it! LOL 🤣 :P:popcorn:

Chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie w Szczebrzeszynie (Polish) 

A beetle sounds in the reeds in Szczebrzeszyn ? :D 
(don't ask me to pronounce it in Polish :D )

Edited by Dages

13 minutes ago, Nedric said:

I like to use Deepl Plego and Sayhi, I am not a fan of google so I don't use google translate.🤣

Thanks, Ying. But do you go and translate every post manually, and then translate your reply back manually too?

I am looking for some software which does this more or less automatically.

If you use Chrome, you can set it to automatically translate webs from English into your language. It works quite well. You click on a link in JWTalk and everything is translated on the fly. Now I'm trying to find a way to type in your own language and have the reply automatically translated back into English, without having to go to a different web, paste the text, then copy the translation. Not sure if such software exists.

I think I found an easy and free solution for computers using Windows. Probably it can be adapted to Mac, Android and others too.

- First, use Chrome browser.

- Second, install this DeepL extension into Chrome (it's free and safe): https://www.deepl.com/en/chrome-extension

When you visit a website in a language foreign to you, such as JWTalk.net, Chrome offers to translate it into your own language. If it doesn't, you can open the option with this button:

translate00.jpg

Once you select your language, the whole page is translated on the fly, in my case into Spanish:

translate01.jpg

Now a translate icon appears on the lower right corner of the textbox (that's the DeepL extension). Click on it and it will immediately translate your text back into English. (The first time you may have to click on the gauge and select English).

On 9/20/2022 at 1:26 PM, carlos said:

Thanks, Ying. But do you go and translate every post manually, and then translate your reply back manually too?

I only translate those English words that I do not understand, most of the posts I can understand. So it is not always necessary to translate.😀

On 9/20/2022 at 1:26 PM, carlos said:

If you use Chrome, you can set it to automatically translate webs from English into your language. It works quite well. You click on a link in JWTalk and everything is translated on the fly. Now I'm trying to find a way to type in your own language and have the reply automatically translated back into English, without having to go to a different web, paste the text, then copy the translation. Not sure if such software exists.

Unfortunately, I am using Microsoft Edge. I am also used to reading English. Translating the whole page into my native language doesn't make sense to me. It reads strangely 🤣

1 hour ago, Nedric said:

Unfortunately, I am using Microsoft Edge. I am also used to reading English. Translating the whole page into my native language doesn't make sense to me. It reads strangely 🤣

I was trying to help a sister who doesn't speak a word of English. If you can understand English, the method I described above is not for you. :)

By the way, DeepL extension is available for Edge too.

I'm glad this topic was started. It brings up something that has been a growing problem, at least for me. I realize that some on the forums do not have English as their native language, and need help with translating some or all of the posts into their language. There's nothing wrong with that. But when that person replies to a post (thereby showing the original post in a quote box), the quoted post shows up in their language, not in English! I don't like that. I can't read what he is replying to!

Okay, maybe that's something to do with JWTalk. But is there a way to keep their translated quote in English, its original language? That way I wouldn't have to back up and find the original post in order to understand what he's replying to.

3 hours ago, Sheep said:

the quoted post shows up in their language, not in English! I don't like that. I can't read what he is replying to!

Eric, I think that's precisely a consequence of this process of using a translator. The text in the quoted posts is translated too.

I don't see any way to work around that. I'm afraid we will have to put up with it. :)

To comment, I'm still in Google translator through the Chrome browser, on my Android. And to read the posts I use the browser's native translation feature.

But I'm going to run some experiments based on what I've seen here. And if my comment is confusing, forgive Google, it's still learning.