JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you know any JW who’s in the music industry?

10 hours ago, JonE said:

Speaking of Nicolas King, 

It's sad to hear that anyone turns their back on Jehovah but we have a LOT of information about how to treat someone that is no longer part of Jehovah's organization. We may want to prayerfully consider whether we should look at his social media or share any information about him.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, JonE said:

He did NOT sing the cart song. Compare that with his recordings and you'll see it's not the same voice. (And no it wasn't changed, it's the same recording as always.)

I listened to a whole line up of songs last night... he sounds the same. Try "Where I Belong" against the Cart song, "What Means the Most to Me", "Finding Treasures".  The voice is identical.

His professional recordings *will* sound different- studio enhancements and style that isn't suitable for our songs. I sound different singing our songs than I do singing secular tunes. One puts a bit more personality/ style into making a secular song one's own. Kingdom/ Original Songs are sung more straight in order to not bring more attention to the singer than to the song.

Edited by Hope

26 minutes ago, Hope said:

I listened to a whole line up of songs last night... he sounds the same. Try "Where I Belong" against the Cart song, "What Means the Most to Me", "Finding Treasures".  The voice is identical.

His professional recordings *will* sound different- studio enhancements and style that isn't suitable for our songs. I sound different singing our songs than I do singing secular tunes. One puts a bit more personality/ style into making a secular song one's own. Kingdom/ Original Songs are sung more straight in order to not bring more attention to the singer than to the song.

You're right that Where I Belong sounds similar to him:

https://www.jw.org/en/library/music-songs/original-songs/where-i-belong/

But the cart song is in no way shape or form the same when it comes to tone and timbre. Nothing at all to do with style, it's not even close in fact:

https://www.jw.org/en/library/music-songs/original-songs/if-you-could-see-what-i-see/

Edited by JonE

There’s a nice life experience of Trummy Young, Louis Armstrong’s trombone player for his band and prolific big band session musician, on how he got the truth whilst in the music industry. — g77 7/22 p.9

“It’s not a matter of how much we know, but how much we love what we know.”

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/g201311/eldar-nebolsin-pianist-explains-faith/

I read experience a few years ago, well, being a pianist is very different from a pop artist (unless you're really famous). It's funny because his interpretation of Liszt Totentanz, if I'm not wrong, was already in my playlist before I knew he's a JW

(Be careful! The above comment came from a suspicious source, a 20 year old. There's a risk that he is being: Idiot, reckless or stupid)

23 minutes ago, Sete said:

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/g201311/eldar-nebolsin-pianist-explains-faith/

I read experience a few years ago, well, being a pianist is very different from a pop artist (unless you're really famous). It's funny because his interpretation of Liszt Totentanz, if I'm not wrong, was already in my playlist before I knew he's a JW

I remember this experience so well!! I’d just been learning myself just about over a year and reading it encouraged me to keep music in its place and our worship as priority. I really love hearing his version of Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No.1 👌

3 hours ago, JonE said:

You're right that Where I Belong sounds similar to him:

But the cart song is in no way shape or form the same when it comes to tone and timbre. Nothing at all to do with style, it's not even close in fact:

https://www.jw.org/en/library/music-songs/original-songs/if-you-could-see-what-i-see/

Okay - we'll agree to disagree, my brother. A skilled singer - especially a theatrical one as King seems to be - can easily change their voice to suit the character they're portraying.  I'm pretty sure of what I'm listening to, as you are. 

It doesn't matter, however... he's not our brother anymore and that is a tragic loss.  😢 

5 hours ago, Hope said:

You seemed to be arguing something I didn't say, as if I was criticizing the choice of the person singing. I was confused why your comment seemed defensive against points that were not made. :shrugs:

No worries 😊

Ok, thanks.

Sometimes expression sassy springs negative feelings, also you said that you’re not happy, therefore I concluded that you don’t like the song. This is again perfect example that written language can be confusing. If you meant something else, sorry for assuming that you don’t like the song. I misunderstood you. 😪 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

Ok, thanks.

Sometimes expression sassy springs negative feelings, also you said that you’re not happy, therefore I concluded that you don’t like the song. This is again perfect example that written language can be confusing. If you meant something else, sorry for assuming that you don’t like the song. I misunderstood you. 😪 

Broadway/theatrical singing often has a bit more "razzle-dazzle" (sassiness? a lil' campiness?) than just straight singing.  From the moment I first heard the "Cart" song, I imagined jazz hands and a kicking chorus line for the "Big Finish" last verse! :D  It's just that style; it was sung in character to really "sell it".  Knowing the background of the singer now just confirms that I wasn't crazy for getting that impression.

I'm not happy because such a talented, evidently formerly spiritual young man has turned to such an awful way of life.  I will think of the loss when I hear his songs... 😢 

I also think about how much I'd LOVE to be involved with singing and theatre as he is, but knowing the potential loss, dangers and enticements make me ever more vigilant to resist wistful thoughts.  It's not an environment where Witnesses can be safe.  It is too seductive. :( 

1 hour ago, Hope said:

Broadway/theatrical singing often has a bit more "razzle-dazzle" (sassiness? a lil' campiness?) than just straight singing.  From the moment I first heard the "Cart" song, I imagined jazz hands and a kicking chorus line for the "Big Finish" last verse! :D  It's just that style; it was sung in character to really "sell it".  Knowing the background of the singer now just confirms that I wasn't crazy for getting that impression.

I'm not happy because such a talented, evidently formerly spiritual young man has turned to such an awful way of life.  I will think of the loss when I hear his songs... 😢 

I also think about how much I'd LOVE to be involved with singing and theatre as he is, but knowing the potential loss, dangers and enticements make me ever more vigilant to resist wistful thoughts.  It's not an environment where Witnesses can be safe.  It is too seductive. :( 

No need to feel that way with the cart song. 😅 I encourage anybody to open these two links in different tabs and listen to the opening lines of each in immediate succession, and it's very clearly different people. I'm not trying to be contentious or anything, just hate it when fake news/rumors spread and are repeated, and wouldn't want anyone who likes the cart song to feel bad about hearing it when it clearly isn't the person in question. 

Edited by JonE

4 hours ago, Friend of Peace said:

I remember this experience so well!! I’d just been learning myself just about over a year and reading it encouraged me to keep music in its place and our worship as priority. I really love hearing his version of Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No.1 👌

He really understand what Rach was thinking, I love him version of Chopin Concerto II. Just asking brother, this image in your profile is a Harpsichord?

(Be careful! The above comment came from a suspicious source, a 20 year old. There's a risk that he is being: Idiot, reckless or stupid)

1 hour ago, Hope said:

Being involved in music is really hard to resist. The music industry is very, very dirty. You will not only be forced to think like them, but also DO what they want. There are many cases of chairman wanting sexual relations with artists in exchange for artists getting a good one, or even just to get a record deal. I love music a lot, I love composing, producing, but just for me. It sounds cool to have a name in the music scene, but this is Satan's world, and he won't let us have a big name easily. In my case there aren't many temptations that I would suffer, but a beautiful woman is too difficult. Better not play with fire.

6 hours ago, Friend of Peace said:

There’s a nice life experience of Trummy Young, Louis Armstrong’s trombone player for his band and prolific big band session musician, on how he got the truth whilst in the music industry. — g77 7/22 p.9

In the 80s my girlfriend and I were in Hawaii.  Barely from my memory we were trying to see either him or his daughter perform.  Old timers disease means I can’t really remember exactly what happened but don’t think we got to see either of them.👩🏻‍🦳

1 hour ago, Sete said:

Being involved in music is really hard to resist. The music industry is very, very dirty. You will not only be forced to think like them, but also DO what they want. There are many cases of chairman wanting sexual relations with artists in exchange for artists getting a good one, or even just to get a record deal. I love music a lot, I love composing, producing, but just for me. It sounds cool to have a name in the music scene, but this is Satan's world, and he won't let us have a big name easily. In my case there aren't many temptations that I would suffer, but a beautiful woman is too difficult. Better not play with fire.

For myself, I'm not interested in having a "big name".  My father is a well-known blues musician in Chicago; the "glamour" of being in entertainment isn't really a draw for me.  It's just the work I'd like to do... it's the only thing I *can* do that really fulfills me in every emotional way.  I know that I cannot indulge something that would compete with Jehovah on that level, so I just don't.  And I'm well aware of the dangers. I must wait for the New World for such an opportunity.

3 hours ago, Sete said:

He really understand what Rach was thinking, I love him version of Chopin Concerto II. Just asking brother, this image in your profile is a Harpsichord?

In my cover photo, it is a harpsichord! It was part of the Victoria and Albert Museum in the UK :) 

Back in the early 1970's I was working for a guy repairing pianos. The guy I worked for was building a harpsichord from a kit for a local college professor.

The guy I worked for was not a JW - but - to stay on topic, we had a brother in the congregation who played guitar professionally. He was more of a "studio musician". He used to play for Anita Bryant and some for Frank Sinatra. He was the guitarist for the John Gary Show from Miami. When he moved to our area, he had left studio work and became a guitar teacher.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

9 hours ago, Friend of Peace said:

Trummy Young was an Elder in the Kaimuki, HI Congregation I was in back in 1970-71.  At the time he had a band and played in a Waikiki Hotel.  I saw him as a very humble brother.  I never saw his show but I heard that he talked to the Friends on vacation after the show.

Edited by rocket

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

3 hours ago, Hope said:

For myself, I'm not interested in having a "big name".  My father is a well-known blues musician in Chicago; the "glamour" of being in entertainment isn't really a draw for me.  It's just the work I'd like to do... it's the only thing I *can* do that really fulfills me in every emotional way.  I know that I cannot indulge something that would compete with Jehovah on that level, so I just don't.  And I'm well aware of the dangers. I must wait for the New World for such an opportunity.

The same thing with me, I would like to understand all the arts in New World, but music I do today, and probably way much more in New World. Music, mainly erudite is too special for me. I love the way the most pieces don't have any lyrics, but it still lyrical. Like El testamento de Amelia. Well, working with music can be really hard for us JWs, but doing by hobby is wonderfull, do you do it?

2 hours ago, Friend of Peace said:

In my cover photo, it is a harpsichord! It was part of the Victoria and Albert Museum in the UK :) 

That's amazing! I used to study Harpsichord. A lovely instrument, I don't have more time to study it (and neither buy one, in Brazil it costs R$80.000 💀, wich is too much), it's amazing playing one. I plan to when have a free time write a Harpsichord Concerto, but I didn't even finished my Piano Concerto, a lovely barroque sound.

13 hours ago, Hope said:

System seems to be working slightly differently now, since the upgrade and my comment (plus the separate one below) didn't appear to post, so I kept hitting the post button. And then I found it. Posted multiple times.

Fortunately, I found them, all in one post, before the edit time limit was up and was able to remove them all - so it didn't look like I was going for '3 times for emphasis'. 😬🙄😁

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

13 hours ago, Hope said:

You seemed to be arguing something I didn't say, as if I was criticizing the choice of the person singing. I was confused why your comment seemed defensive against points that were not made. :shrugs:

No worries 😊

It may be because of the emojis you used in your post about 'the sassy Broadway sound ...'.

I, too, got the impression you didn't like it, due to the emojis you used. 🤗

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.