JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you know any JW who’s in the music industry?

And actually earning money either making/producing music or editing it?

I ask this because I’ve seen some who paint (didn’t have the heart to ask if they were actually making money from it) 

but not someone who makes music. 

I wonder if the industry in itself is detrimental to one keeping his/her Christian integrity. But not thinking of entering that field, of course, I’m too old for that! 

(I guess ones who were baptized after they entered the music industry would more likely continue in that field)

Edited by Hotteok

Certain brothers and sisters around my location, even elders, are in bands and perform their original music and/or covers in local establishments.

They are not in the music industry, per se. It's just a hobby. 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

There’s not that many to my knowledge. Most baptized witnesses that are in the music industry are ones that later found the truth after their record deal and either stopped making music once their contract was up or limited how much time they spend performing after finding the truth. I think this is the case because a lot of record executives encourage artists to put out things a Christian shouldn’t sing about. Plus, I would imagine the work of being a professional music artist requires a lot of rubbing shoulders with those deep in the world, more time than a Christian would want to.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

You might check out this Wikipedia page - pay particular attention to the "Personal Life" section

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Marvin

And this Wiki - again, pay particular attention to "Personal Life"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Benson

Both of these brothers have been JW's for many years and remain(ed) active in the music business while serving in their congregations.

Of course, being this prominent in the music business like these two is quite unusual.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Larry Graham was in the music industry for many years and he was very adamant that he would never recommend for any brother or sister to get into the industry.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

There are a few:

George Benson

Larry Graham 

Philip Ingram

Ronnie Laws

Daria Durasova (professional opera singer in Vienna- see videos on YouTube 😍)

Sheila Hutchinson (one of the R&B group, The Emotions)

Prince

Benny Golson (jazz saxophonist- life story in Awake mag)

That's who I can think of offhand. Most, if not all, still make their living in "the industry". They are careful, as we all must be about falling away..

Panamanian former reggaetón artist Edgardo Armando Franco who went by the pseudonym “El General” (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_General). As you might recall, his story was featured on JW Broadcasting (?) some years ago. Another common denominator is here that he gave up his music career in order to serve Jehovah with a clean conscience.

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

Hank Brian Marvin is an English multi-instrumentalist, vocalist and songwriter. He is widely known as the lead guitarist for The Shadows, he lives in Perth, Australia

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

16 hours ago, LoneWanderer said:

Panamanian former reggaetón artist Edgardo Armando Franco who went by the pseudonym “El General”

The interview with him (https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/SeriesTruthTransforms/pub-jwbvs_201612_1_VIDEO) was used as a basis for an item at a midweek meeting five years ago (I thought it was like a year ago! :wacko:) : https://www.jw.org/en/library/jw-meeting-workbook/october-2017-mwb/meeting-schedule-oct23-29/live-to-praise-jehovah/

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

16 hours ago, LoneWanderer said:

The interview with him (https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/SeriesTruthTransforms/pub-jwbvs_201612_1_VIDEO) was used as a basis for an item at a midweek meeting five years ago (I thought it was like a year ago! :wacko:) : https://www.jw.org/en/library/jw-meeting-workbook/october-2017-mwb/meeting-schedule-oct23-29/live-to-praise-jehovah/

That one blew my mind! El General was really popular back in the day and I was tickled to see him on JW Broadcasting back when that came out. It’s a fantastic interview too.

Dave Thomas of the band Pere Ubu and several others was a Witness. I’m not sure if he still is though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Thomas_(musician)

Edited by Esined

I knew some who were. Google for details:

Don Rendell - Lovely brother. He was so talented, he didn't need to be "worldly" to be recognised. Took our Watchtower at one time.

Wilton Felder

Wayne Henderson

Brian Locking

When I heard  Prince Nelson was a Witness, I just didn't believe it until I went to the same convention.

I am a bit skeptical of "JW" celebrity lists unless I meet the people.

James Ingram wasn't a JW but he recorded a song titled "Yah mo be there".  Ebonics for "Yah will be there".   

I have a newspaper clipping from USA Today, March 27, 1984:

"Pop singer James Ingram disguised references to God in his hit song Yah Mo Be There.  His reason: to keep the song from being relegated to gospel radio stations.  

"Yah is the Hebrew name for God, Yahweh. So it means God will be there," says Ingram.

I kept the newspaper clipping tucked into my Live Forever book to show Bible students that we aren't the only ones who know God's name is Yahweh, more commonly pronounced Jehovah.

1 hour ago, Doug said:

James Ingram wasn't a JW but he recorded a song titled "Yah mo be there".  Ebonics for "Yah will be there".   

I have a newspaper clipping from USA Today, March 27, 1984:

"Pop singer James Ingram disguised references to God in his hit song Yah Mo Be There.  His reason: to keep the song from being relegated to gospel radio stations.  

"Yah is the Hebrew name for God, Yahweh. So it means God will be there," says Ingram.

I kept the newspaper clipping tucked into my Live Forever book to show Bible students that we aren't the only ones who know God's name is Yahweh, more commonly pronounced Jehovah.

His brother, Philip, is a Witness. Philip is also a well-known R&B singer.. and a frequent vocalist on our Original Songs 😊

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

You all know there is a difference between "know" and "heard of", right? 

How many of us really have any first hand knowledge about any of this? 

I have first hand knowledge of everyone on my list except Benny Golson. But I did read the Awake article myself 🙃

Regarding Damon - I only saw IG pics of him getting baptized at a convention a few years ago 🤷🏽‍♀️

wow the list is getting bigger!

Actually what I initially asked was if you have people around you who are in the music industry who aren't famous and only using their musical skills as a means to earn bread.

But it's good to know famous JW musicians from all over the world!

I once heard the writer of the song 'Nothing's gonna change my love for you." is a JW. (He is, according to a post above)

Kim Sung-Hee, not so famous worldly but she once was a member of a very famous K-pop girl group, KARA but soon departed the group to regain her faith.

But in this case, her mother was a JW, though it still must've been a difficult decision to make. She's making lots of money and married a son of a famous voice actor in Korea who's also stunningly rich so I won't really worry about her..haha. It's good to hear her voice from a JW original song occasionally.

1 hour ago, Hotteok said:

But it's good to know famous JW musicians from all over the world!

On 12/28/2022 at 12:00 AM, Hope said:

Most, if not all, still make their living in "the industry". They are careful, as we all must be about falling away..

Tim, don't let the glitz and glamor blind you.  They may have been famous at one time (or are still famous for their past accomplishments) but it's not like spiritually mature Witnesses actively seek fame and glory.  

Hope said it nicely.  They may still be involved in the music industry, but they are no longer seeking stardom.  There are too many negative influences and pitfalls for a mature Christian to continue to live the lifestyle of a music star.  

Here is the thoughts from a former athlete, an NHL hockey player, who became a Witness. He's not in the music industry, but the sentiment is no doubt the same. 

*** g86 2/22 p. 17 I Finally Found It—The Real Life! ***
What I had previously thought was the real life was not. I had reached the top in the hockey world, and what was there? Not contentment or happiness. No, the glamour and glory of the sports world is not the real life. While from the outside it may seem happy and rosy, inside there is generally extreme selfishness and no real direction or purpose in life.
https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=101986125&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=45

Selena, her parents were witnesses, I think I re  read s somewhere she’d just started up a Bible study, and then she was tragically killed. 

I know of one baptised sister in my age group who is an ‘influencer’ she does YouTube makeup videos and has released a few songs. But I’m not wanting to say her name on here. It must be hard being in that music/fame world and staying strong in the truth. From what I remember of her she is such a lovely girl. Haven’t seen her in a long time. 

6 hours ago, Luisabola said:

Selena, her parents were witnesses, I think I re  read s somewhere she’d just started up a Bible study, and then she was tragically killed. 

I know of one baptised sister in my age group who is an ‘influencer’ she does YouTube makeup videos and has released a few songs. But I’m not wanting to say her name on here. It must be hard being in that music/fame world and staying strong in the truth. From what I remember of her she is such a lovely girl. Haven’t seen her in a long time. 

I met a cousin of Selina's - a Brother Quintanilla - at a wedding in New York in 1993. He was a Bethelite.