JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you know any JW who’s in the music industry?

On 12/28/2022 at 12:12 PM, Qapla said:

You might check out this Wikipedia page - pay particular attention to the "Personal Life" section

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Marvin

I personally know Hank Marvin and his wife, Carole.  He is an elder locally here and we used to be in the same congregation.  He was one of the elders who went through my baptism questions with me.  

He is a lovely, humble and soft spoken brother. If he was recognised while in the ministry, he never acknowledged or admitted it but ignored it in a very kind and gracious way. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

There are a lot of ways to work in any art form as a profession or career in a balanced way. Even in the world there are a lot of people who work in the music industry and in any art form, for that matter, without being famous. There is a brother in my congregation who studied at Berklee

College before coming into the truth. For awhile after getting baptized he worked doing sound engineering/music production, then teaching private lessons. 

Nicolas King has music on Apple Play, and I actually have listened to his music, which is bit jazzy and romantically reflective.

(Style similar to a song : What a Wonderful World) 

So if anyone likes music of this type, please check it out. (You must have Apple Play paid account) 

You can listen for free on Spotify.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Here is an interesting article about a musician who was a long-time JW

https://welcometoharlem.com/longtime-musician-harold-blanchard-from-harlem-dies-at-80/

What this article does not mention is that his father (and his mother), who it said played at the Cotton Club, were also JW's. His father used to be the conductor for the orchestra for our Circuit and our District for several years back when we had live music. The son, the one the article is about, became our conductor a few years before the live orchestra was discontinued. However, he also served as the conductor of the Orchestra at Bethel - you know, the one that we all listened to with the recorded music. In fact, remember when we sung to recorded piano music (think purple/pink songbook) at the meetings? Well, you were singing to his piano playing. He was the recorded pianist for all the recoded songs in that book.

He was also an Adjunct Professor at Stetson University prior to his death.

They were a very musical family, and I was privileged to be able to play in the Circuit and District orchestra when they were our conductors.

Here is another nice article

https://baldwincremation.com/obituaries/harold-blanchard/

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 12/30/2022 at 7:07 AM, Shawnster said:

Tim, don't let the glitz and glamor blind you. 

Here is the thoughts from a former athlete, an NHL hockey player, who became a Witness. He's not in the music industry, but the sentiment is no doubt the same. 

*** g86 2/22 p. 17 I Finally Found It—The Real Life! ***
What I had previously thought was the real life was not. I had reached the top in the hockey world, and what was there? Not contentment or happiness. No, the glamour and glory of the sports world is not the real life. While from the outside it may seem happy and rosy, inside there is generally extreme selfishness and no real direction or purpose in life.
https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=101986125&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=45

This reminds me of an early video from our organization.  The young man had stars in his eyes about becoming famous and wealthy playing soccer.

His mother said: "If you want to be famous in Satan's world , he's going to want something from you in return."

I thought that line was so simple yet so true.

On 12/29/2022 at 2:12 PM, Hope said:

His brother, Philip, is a Witness. Philip is also a well-known R&B singer.. and a frequent vocalist on our Original Songs 😊

Just found this today.  Looks like it was a zoom gathering during lockdown interview with Philip Ingram.  There's a performance at the beginning then an interview.  I didn't know how to just show the performance.  The interview is rather long i didn't watch it all (will do that later).  He does introduce his wife Sister Ingram somewhere during the interview .  Don't know how much of his time is devoted to entertainment now but looks like he has teamed up with his old group to do this performance.  Hope it's ok to post

Edited by lovjahupepl

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, JonE said:

Speaking of Nicolas King, yes he has an amazing voice, and also was in a bunch of the choir videos, but sadly he's now in a relationship with another man, celebrating pride etc. according to his partner's posts

https://www.instagram.com/sethsikes/?hl=en

That’s horrible 

3 hours ago, JonE said:

Speaking of Nicolas King, yes he has an amazing voice, and also was in a bunch of the choir videos, but sadly he's now in a relationship with another man, celebrating pride etc. according to his partner's posts

https://www.instagram.com/sethsikes/?hl=en

https://instagram.com/itsnicolasking?igshid=MjAxZDBhZDhlNA==

Yeah, looks pretty grim. He sings several Original Songs..now he is a reproach. 😔

Edited by Hope

On 12/31/2022 at 11:27 AM, jwmanubcn said:

This brother Nicolas King is in the Watchtower choir in the music videos Sing to Jehovah 139, 140, 141 and in the movie "These Words . . . Must Be on Your Heart"

Nicolas King

www.thenicolasking.com/

Screenshot_20221231-200615_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221231-202317_JW Library.jpg

Yikes... his little speech to Rebecca on "acceptance and tolerance" & confusion (31:34) rings a bit differently now.. 😔  I'm so unhappy 🥺

32 minutes ago, Hope said:

Explains that sassy Broadway sound of the cart song... 😒😔

You're allowed to have personal taste.

But I like it.

Jehovah likes it, otherwise he would not approve it to use it in his worship

I think this is perfect example of personal preferences ☺️ 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I didn't know that either i looked up there instagrams Wow he's now part of LGBTQ alphabet soup Group it was probably already there he gave up his relationship with Jehovah his organisation and Everlasting life for the Stars and Glamor of the World very Sad. 😔

36 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

You're allowed to have personal taste.

But I like it.

Jehovah likes it, otherwise he would not approve it to use it in his worship

I think this is perfect example of personal preferences ☺️ 

:confused: I didn't say I didn't like it, didn't prefer it or anything. It tickles me and I know it by heart. I even have the French version downloaded.

That song does have a sassy Broadway sound... that his voice was perfect for it simply reflects the style of many who are Broadway singers. It's just a bit clearer to me now..

In Russia, one from the famoust Russian rock musican Fedor Chistyakov becomed JW in 1995.

This is traslation of article about him in Russsian Wiki

https://ru-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/Чистяков,_Фёдор_Валентинович?_x_tr_sl=en&_x_tr_tl=uk&_x_tr_hl=uk&_x_tr_pto=wapp

He is absolutely changed his repertoire but still playing interesting music and poetry.

Here is one song "when Bach will wake up" 

As I know, he served as elder.

4 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Sister Uani, may I ask you what is confusing in my post? I got confused emoji.

Can I clarify something for you? ☺️

You seemed to be arguing something I didn't say, as if I was criticizing the choice of the person singing. I was confused why your comment seemed defensive against points that were not made. :shrugs:

No worries 😊

6 hours ago, Hope said:

Explains that sassy Broadway sound of the cart song... 😒😔

He did NOT sing the cart song. Compare that with his recordings and you'll see it's not the same voice. (And no it wasn't changed, it's the same recording as always.)

Edited by JonE