JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Disturbing Charts

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 485 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

"And you will be hated by all people on account of my name, but the one who has endured to the end will be saved." - Matthew 10:22

Based on that scripture, I have no problem being towards the bottom of that list, lol. Jesus said the grand majority would not want the truth.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

19 minutes ago, blue-jay said:

So, what is "Christianity"? I thought protestantism and Catholicism would be included in that, but it's all separate?

Yes. I think it is being used like a Venn diagram, with overlap, and not each as a distinct group.

Thus people have a general +34% favourable rating for 'Christianity' as a generic belief system, but when specific religions within that belief system are named, people give them a lower favourable rating.

I think the survey is like a box of chocolates .... most people like a generic box of chocolates and so most give the whole box of chocolates good favourable rating.... but when each specific chocolate within the box is rated - strawberry, coffee, nut, creme, etc - then the average favourable rating drops, as each person has different views and ideas on what a favourable chocolate is, and their individual rating tend to cancel each other out.

BTW, statistically, it appears that the top chart in the OP's first link simply uses the percentage who have a very or somewhat favorable view minus the percentage who have a very or somewhat unfavorable view of each religion - and ignores those have a neither favourable nor unfavourable view (33% for JWs), or are not sure (11% for JWs) - hence 44% answers are ignored??

I posted some information about why Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate Christmas on FB, just prior to the pagan day.

Among the 'it's your business, you don't have to explain' comments, was this little gem: 

Glad I’m descended from the first Catholics to arrive in Australia and yes we have always celebrated Xmas . I might add they have held high positions in the church and we’re all much loved.

It took a lot of self control to keep my fingers from responding. 😅

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

On 1/2/2023 at 8:26 AM, Dustparticle said:

What do you find that is not accurate? 

I glanced at this one and I wonder if it's a little misleading.  I'd have to see how the questions were worded.  I mean, Christianity is at the top of the list, but then several denominations of religions that profess to be Christian are listed.  

6 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I mean, Christianity is at the top of the list, but then several denominations of religions that profess to be Christian are listed.  

Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Playerquestion asks GIFexactly GIF

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

I glanced at this one and I wonder if it's a little misleading.  I'd have to see how the questions were worded. 

The link to the survey is in the article

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/v7tkzd5tem/poll_Favorability_of_Religions_20221122.pdf

Do you have a favourable or unfavourable opinion of the following groups, organisations, or belief systems in the United States?

Jehovah's Witnesses:

Very favorable =

6%

Somewhat favorable =

6%

Neither favorable nor unfavorable =

33%

Somewhat unfavorable =

21%

Very unfavorable =

23%

Not sure =

11%

If that was the only question ... where did they get the results for all those other religions

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

20 minutes ago, Qapla said:

If that was the only question ... where did they get the results for all those other religions

Because that was the question that was asked.... with participants then grading their favourability ratings for each of the 35-or-so listed religions/belief systems.

I only listed the responses for the Jehovah's Witnesses, but I provided a link for people to click which showed all the other responses for the other religions/belief systems, if they wanted to.

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

I should have guesses they asked the same question 35-or-so times to get the irrelevant answers they got

Yeah, the way they break out Christianity as a separate denomination messes up the survey. Also, so many people don’t realize we are Christian.

We are twice as hated by Republicans as by Democrats, which is not surprising.

I love that Pew research study because it shows us as having the highest percentage of respondents having feelings of spiritual peace and wellbeing at least once a week and the highest percentage of respondents who meditate and read scripture more than once a week. 🥰

Edited by Esined

24 minutes ago, Esined said:

I love that Pew research study because it shows us as having the highest percentage of respondents having feelings of spiritual peace and wellbeing at least once a week and the highest percentage of respondents who meditate and read scripture more than once a week. 🥰

I wonder how accurate these polls are because a lot of surveys on JW’s standards, beliefs, etc, does not line up with the Bible.

Edited by Dustparticle

7 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

I wonder how accurate these polls are because a lot of surveys on JW’s standards, beliefs, etc, does not line up with the Bible.

When they do a survey of random people they rely on self-reported data. So I guess if a person says they are one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, that is how they are recorded by the polling agency. We as baptized, active publishers have a different definition of what it means to call yourself one of Jehovah’s Witnesses than most people do.

For the purposes of the survey, they probably asked people what religion they identified with or were closest to, were raised as, believed in, affiliated with, etc. So that could be someone who is still studying, raised around the truth but never baptized, etc.

And they ask every religious group in the survey the same set of questions. From being here on JWTalk we know that while we all have the same faith and belief in Bible principles, we all have different perspectives and may perceive and answer survey questions somewhat differently. 

That probably accounts for survey responses that seem “off” compared with our actual beliefs.