JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

BREAKING NEWS | Two New Members of the Governing Body

On 1/23/2023 at 10:12 PM, Hope said:

you appreciate that the information is ultimately from Jehovah and certainly take it in as such - with much appreciation, but there is something to be said for being able to speak from experience, isn't there?

i like this narrative (yes while the information is ultimately from Jehovah) but something to be said about being able- to relate, just in case the one size fits all scenario doesn't come to play

2 hours ago, Dages said:

God doesn't care about these "diversity" issue. No Jews nor Greek.

I'm shocked there isn't more diversity in the GB. There aren't any Asians, Islanders, Latinos, Australians, New Zealanders, Welsh, Alaskans, Greek, Jew, Brazilian, Venezuelan, French, Irish, Native American Indian, Indian....

Should I go on? :lol1:

If someone is offended that there isn't a GB member from their ethnic background, then why aren't they offended that all ethnicities aren't represented?

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I'm shocked there isn't more diversity in the GB. There aren't any Asians, Islanders, Latinos, Australians, New Zealanders, Welsh, Alaskans, Greek, Jew, Brazilian, Venezuelan, French, Irish, Native American Indian, Indian....

If someone is offended that there isn't a GB member from their ethnic background, then why aren't they offended that all ethnicities aren't represented?

Because they are not the United Nations.

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

But there is an Australian. 😄

And already had a Greek brother. :laugh:

Edited by Araujo JW

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I'm not offended.  I'm ecstatic that more interracial couples are depicted in our photos and videos, tbh - it was a very long time coming.  It's nice to see one's background represented. ❤️ 

It *would* be nice to see more ethnicities represented amongst the GB and their helpers (I LOVE when I hear a different accent) - again more as a passing thought, since different backgrounds can offer different perspectives even with the same faith, don't they? 

But also again, I have absolute faith that everything is well in hand. :yes:

It's clear the GB likes to include brothers from a diversity of backgrounds. We see that from the helpers, they are from many different countries and ethnicities and languages.

However, when you look for anointed brothers who have served faithfully for many decades, who speak English fluently and can live in the US, probably the pool to choose from is much more reduced. There are only around 20,000 partakers in the whole world, how many of those meet the requirements above? And those are just some basic requirements, surely the GB has a lot more.

Ethnicity or color has nothing to do with choosing a member of the GB. They either qualify or do not qualify. Skin color should not even be mentioned as a qualification. 

That’s the world influence to judge everything by color and ethinicy....trying to make everything even Steven. That’s not how it works. It’s the inner person not the outside that counts. Satan in an effort to divide us fills our heads full of distorted views. Many jump right on the bandwagon. This another “woke” influence....all under the guise of fair and equal. Another one of Satan’s crafty machinations, trying to influence our organization. 

If an ethic group is not represented on the GB, it means no one in that group has qualified. Talk to Jehovah about that. Unless you think the GB is bias against certain ethic groups. It's one or the other. I think it’s the first reason. No one qualified. 

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

Vast majority of anointed ones come from Jewish backgrounds and Middle East backgrounds (thinking of first century) Then in our times some other regions were included. So it looks to me that ethnicity does not matter to Jehovah, but as long as person has humility and other important qualities they qualify for the role. Jehovah is called “Grand Instructor” so I am sure the anointed receive additional training and guidance in haven in relation to their duties as priests and kings. Ethnically does not matter, and including someone for the sake of ethnic representation is not the way things work with Jehovah. When they are in haven ethnicity will be lost, and then they become immortal powerful beings. But their personalities and spiritual qualities will be part of them even in haven. So the focus is on spiritual qualities when Jehovah makes the choice. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

When you hear others say there should be GB representing differing ethnicities and colors etc.... they are mirroring what the world has constantly been saying about worldly organizations and political offices. Because that is how they view people....it’s the; "My people", "your people" mentality.

That kind of thinking is understandable in the world.....but it has no place here.   When you see someone of your own color in the GB does it makes you feel good? Viewing things from that perspective seems bias in itself.  

It starts with the premise that we’re divided, and each one (ethnicity)  needs representation to be fair.  

Would their color make them more trustworthy on the GB ?  Or will they care more about you than someone of a different color?  This “woke” ideology is spreading and it ain’t pretty. :coffee:

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

3 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

When you hear others say there should be GB representing differing ethnicities and colors etc.... they are mirroring what the world has constantly been saying about worldly organizations and political offices. Because that is how they view people....it’s the; "My people", "your people" mentality.

That kind of thinking is understandable in the world.....but it has no place here.   When you see someone of your own color in the GB does it makes you feel good? Viewing things from that perspective seems bias in itself.  

It starts with the premise that we’re divided, and each one (ethnicity)  needs representation to be fair.  

Would their color make them more trustworthy on the GB ?  Or will they care more about you than someone of a different color?  This “woke” ideology is spreading and it ain’t pretty. :coffee:

That is *not* where I'm coming from. At all.

Your assumptions, however, are not pretty. 😒  I'll say no more about it. 

I've said it before on this forum and ill say it again now.....We should only say things to each other that we would say in person if we were all sitting around talking in the kingdom Hall.  We wouldn't be rude and we def wouldn't call each other names so lets never do it on this forum.   That is something we ALL have to remind ourselves.

5 hours ago, Hope said:

That is *not* where I'm coming from. At all.

Your assumptions, however, are not pretty. 😒  I'll say no more about it. 

My understanding was that you like the variety of personalities on the GB and personalities are enhanced by the person's background. So, a variety of ethnicity and cultures would give us a variety of personalities and experience. I agree 100%.

I don't think the comments made here, mine included, were directed to you or anyone else. They were generic comments about being careful to not adapt a worldly pride about our own race or ethnicity and feel that our race is not fully or appropriately represented on the GB

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The Bible says that "God is not partial," that "people of all sorts" will come to the hearer of prayer. Our work takes place in over 200 lands and in over 1000 languages! And this is only possible because in Jehovah's organization we have sooooo many people of very different backgrounds working together in spite of their differences, thanks to his holy spirit. My whole life I've seen all of our publications intentionally depicting Jehovah's people in all of the beautiful ethnic and cultural variety that he created us with the capacity to have, decades before anyone would even think to call that "woke" or political. Ever since childhood, I have that last illustration from My Book of Bible Stories burned into my brain!

So...it's not a worldly or political thing to expect that the Governing Body might reflect all of this, and to feel a little puzzled because it doesn't. A Bible study asked me this a long time ago - if God is not partial, why did all of the GB seem to come only from a European/Anglo background?

This was not out of a sense of worldly pride in her own race/culture but rather, feeling anxious and uncomfortable because racism, prejudice, and partiality are horrible parts of Satan's wicked system. See this Awake! article: "Why is Race Such an Issue?" https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101993602

Having the organization started in and based in the U.S. has given us a LOT of advantages in being able to reach millions of people and spread the message worldwide.

I have meditated on this and wondered whether Jehovah, knowing that

1) his people would be hated like Jesus was and face opposition to our work

2) his people would have to be able to work a LOT with governments to do any kind of organized, legally recognized activity

has ALSO guided his organization to be able to accomplish our work

1) during the rise of the Anglo-American world power

2) in a country where racism and ideas of white superiority have been so strongly embedded in government, not to mention Christendom.

So maybe the composition of the Governing Body, like the location of our headquarters, has allowed our organization to accomplish certain things over the years that might not have been possible otherwise -- not because Jehovah is partial, but because he has the broad view and knows how to realize his purpose. 

Edited by Esined

Jehovah is including everybody and I believe there is full representation of variety when it comes to anointed ones.  

Think of it ... sisters cannot serve as elders or on GB right now, and yet some of our dear sisters will be powerful immortals there in heaven to whom even angels will not be equal.  

Those sisters in the future role as "priests and kings" will be teaching all of us and helping "us" to reach perfection. 

Jehovah is the best equalizer. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

The Bible says that "God is not partial," that "people of all sorts" will come to the hearer of prayer. Our work takes place in over 200 lands and in over 1000 languages! And this is only possible because in Jehovah's organization we have sooooo many people of very different backgrounds working together in spite of their differences, thanks to his holy spirit. My whole life I've seen all of our publications intentionally depicting Jehovah's people in all of the beautiful ethnic and cultural variety that he created us with the capacity to have, decades before anyone would even think to call that "woke" or political. Ever since childhood, I have that last illustration from My Book of Bible Stories burned into my brain!

So...it's not a worldly or political thing to expect that the Governing Body might reflect all of this, and to feel a little puzzled because it doesn't. A Bible study asked me this a long time ago - if God is not partial, why did all of the GB seem to come only from a European/Anglo background?

This was not out of a sense of worldly pride in her own race/culture but rather, feeling anxious and uncomfortable because racism, prejudice, and partiality are horrible parts of Satan's wicked system. See this Awake! article: "Why is Race Such an Issue?" https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101993602

Having the organization started in and based in the U.S. has given us a LOT of advantages in being able to reach millions of people and spread the message worldwide.

I have meditated on this and wondered whether Jehovah, knowing that
1) his people would be hated like Jesus was and face opposition to our work
2) his people would have to be able to work a LOT with governments to do any kind of organized, legally recognized activity
has ALSO guided his organization to be able to accomplish our work
1) during the rise of the Anglo-American world power
2) in a country where racism and ideas of white superiority have been so strongly embedded in government, not to mention Christendom.

So maybe the composition of the Governing Body, like the location of our headquarters, has allowed our organization to accomplish certain things over the years that might not have been possible otherwise -- not because Jehovah is partial, but because he has the broad view and knows how to realize his purpose. 

I’ve had the same question your Bible study has had. I don’t think it’s wrong to ask it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The racial makeup of the governing body bothers  me from time to time. Then I remind myself of a few points. 
From the insight book under Impartiality 

Not partial toward Israel. Some persons have held that Jehovah dealt partially by using and favoring Israel as his people of ancient times. However, an honest examination of his dealings with Israel will reveal that such a charge is erroneous. Jehovah chose and dealt with Israel, not because of their greatness and numbers, but because of his love and appreciation for the faith and loyalty of his friend Abraham, their forefather. (Jas 2:23)

Jehovah had a purpose in the racial makeup of the nation,  the genealogy of the Messiah needed to be proven to fulfill prophecy. 

Jehovah is a god of purpose. If I truly believe the faithful and discreet slave is the governing body, then I must trust that Jehovah has a purpose in continuing to primarily use white men from the US.  

I look forward to fully understanding Jehovah’s purpose. 

When we think about the 144,000 and what they will be doing soon, it reminds us that the GB is a very small part of the 144,000 and they currently have a relatively short assignment from Jehovah. Very soon they will join the rest of the 144,000 and they will all have the same assignment. Any focus on who Jehovah is using as the GB pales when you think about how temporary the assignment is.

3 hours ago, rethro said:

Problem is  the Worlds solution is to just make all things equal based on color or ethnicity. That’s why they want racial representation in everything rather than putting the emphasis on the individual and qualifications.

At first glance,  it seems right and good.....but it’s not on the second glance. Unfortunately some bite and run with it even in our organization. They start seeing color as important. 

We have a wonderful sister here....very faithful etc..... However when I go to her home for the field ministry meeting I noticed she has a picture of Michelle Obama on her refrigerator.  :lol:

That’s the influence I’m talking about  on full display.   

Edited by Pjdriver