JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Let's name the planets!

I was just watching again Bro Cooks talk at the AGM when he talked of the disgusting names of the planets which have been named after false gods and are soon to be gone - it got me thinking what names would you like to see used in their place? Any good suggestions?!

And do you feel a little weird now using them? My little girl watched the video and she says she now feels bad using the disgusting names she's been learning at school.

1 hour ago, Liam Davies said:

I was just watching again Bro Cooks talk at the AGM when he talked of the disgusting names of the planets which have been named after false gods and are soon to be gone - it got me thinking what names would you like to see used in their place? Any good suggestions?!

And do you feel a little weird now using them? My little girl watched the video and she says she now feels bad using the disgusting names she's been learning at school.

Jehovah name the stars (Psalms 147: 4) and who knows, he might let us name the planets.

It will be interesting to name those planets after men and women of great faith (both ancient and modern).

Mars-Taze,Jupiter-Hadassah,saturn-sarah etc

sounds funny really,almost every name has a funny history somehow,Just that when people get used to it they simply overlook it.

I think Zion is a cool name for a planet but may never be used since Jehovah is no longer sentimental towards Jerusalem.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

When I wrote my Paradise text, I name Mars as "Edom" (red) and Jupiter as "Hagadol" (the great/big one)... :D 

So... Mercury would be Hom (Heat :D )

Venus would be Anan (Cloud)

Saturn would be "Tabat" (Ring :D

Edited by Dages

Brief meaning given to the planets in our solar system:

Mercury - Today: fast Future: ? 
Venus - Today: beauty Future: ? 
Earth - Today: soil Future: ? 
Mars - Today: war Future: ? 
Jupter - Today: wood, large Future: ? 
Saturn - Today: agriculture Future: ? 
Uranus - Today: sky Future: ? 
Neptune - Today: seas Future: ? 

If we imagine how Jehovah defeated numerous "gods" in the past, such as in the 10 plagues of Egypt, it could follow this fine line.

More or less like this, I think:

Mercury - Future: JahMyh (faster Jah)
Venus - Future: Jahnou (Most Beautiful Jah)
Earth - Future: Vindication (Jehovah vindicated this planet)
Mars - Future: JahShalom (Jehovah of peace)
Jupter - Future: ShelukhahJah (Jehovah is greater in extent)
Saturn - Future: ? KhaqelaiJah (Jehovah the Farmer)
Uranus - Future: ShamayimJah (Jehovah of the sky)
Neptune - Future: ? ElohimYamJah (Jehovah the God of the Seas)

Don't take me so serious ok ?:encourage:

Edited by Leonard Match Valid

Nothing wrong with Earth. In all languages the name for our planet comes from the word meaning dirt or soil, like Leonard said. Perhaps this is because from dust or dirt we come from and the name of our home planet of origin is a reminder of Jehovah’s creative process. 

Only the other planets are named after pagan gods. 

7 minutes ago, RedRob said:

Do any of you think that we'll eventually go out and explore space, expanding the paradise beyond just our solar system?  

If you are asking for my personal opinion, yes, I hope we do. When, Where and How are TBD...:thumbsup:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, bystander said:

The universe is the playground of the angels. 

I've suspected as much. When I think about the destructive events in the universe (like supernovas and black holes), I imagine that angels are experimenting with interacting with the physical world. And either that's their "reset" button or just part of the process. Maybe even a mistake.

But knowing how Jehovah loves to do things via processes (like constructing Adam from dust instead of just snapping his fingers and POOF there's Adam), it makes sense that the angels would need a "playground" to learn how to safely manipulate the physical world.

Guess we'll see for sure in the new world... 😁

1 hour ago, bystander said:

I think Saturn should be named Ringo. 

Why would we want to name a planet after an "old west" outlaw from the late 1800's or an English drummer from the 1960's ?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~