JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Top 3 news articles today in your area

What's making news in your area today?

There were 3 leading stories on hackers in the top stories in Australia this evening. That’s an unusually high amount of hacker stories.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-27/whats-happening-with-the-latitude-financial-cyber-attack/102151164

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-27/superannuation-fund-ngs-super-hit-by-cyber-attack/102151926

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-27/crown-resorts-ransomware-threat-by-hackers-data-breach/102151816

I thought it would be interesting to see what snippets of news is happening around the world.

Another school shooting. 3 elementary kids and 3 adults dead. 
Also the massive tornado that went through Mississippi. 26 dead. 
Israel protests

Putin and the nuclear stuff. 

All bad news 😭

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

1 hour ago, BLEmom said:

Another school shooting. 3 elementary kids and 3 adults dead.

A 28 year old woman ( killed by police ) with 2 assault rifles and 1 hand gun! I said this on another post that the Nashville and surrounding area seems to have shootings and deaths on a daily basis! 😔

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/03/27/covenant-school-shooting-nashville-live-updates/11549814002/

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

3 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

I assume you're not asking for international news:

Whatever you want to put down that strikes you as the top 3. I know the news repeats itself, but I'm interested in both what’s happening in your part of the world, and what you feel is important. Just a snapshot, not the whole ins and outs (other threads on that).

The U.S. in our state of Ky.

#1 - GOP lawmakers override veto of transgender bill, resulting in riots and arrests.

#2 - Some barges got stuck on the Ohio river and some started sinking. Thankfully no leaks, as one was carrying methanol.

#3 - NCAA basketball scores are literally all over the news XD.

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

• 1 month later...

An article in The Guardian, May 17, 2023 spoke about a recently passed bill in the state of Florida (where I live) effective 7-1-2023. It is called the Protections of Medical Conscience bill. The author writes that it "let's medical professionals and health insurance companies deny patients care based on religious, moral or ethical beliefs."  The article goes on to say : "the law is deliberately vague. It does not list which procedures are acceptable to refuse and it doesn't clearly define what constitutes a 'sincerely held religious, moral or ethical belief' ". It appears the original intent of this law was to deal with the issue of transgender treatment, but due to lack of specifics it could be used by those with bias against any religion . Even though it doesn't specifically target JWs, it could be certainly used against us, especially in the matter of blood transfusions. It will be interesting to see how this law may be used and if other places will adopt such a law. We are truly living in critical times and I am reminded of Ps. 94:20.

49 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

1. Chocolate

2. Chocolate

3. Chocolate

You may want to sit down  .     .     

Spoiler
Spoiler

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is thinking about banning chocolate milk in school lunch programs for elementary and middle school students.  Apparently, chocolate milk contains as much sugar as soda.

9 minutes ago, Doug said:

You may want to sit down  .     .     

Hide contents
  Hide contents

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is thinking about banning chocolate milk in school lunch programs for elementary and middle school students.  Apparently, chocolate milk contains as much sugar as soda.

Yes, I saw this and it is stupid too. Why? The kids are not drinking chocolate milk everyday at schools. Plus, the makers of chocolate milk can reduce the intake of its sugar too. Plus, I wonder why USDA is fusing over chocolate milk at school lunches, while every day the kids are being served with processed foods?

Ya, saw these on my feed this morning Lucy, terrible times. I remember the recession in the 80's, it was real rough on my young family. Living on 400.00 a month was torture. But my rent was only 85.00 so that helped. I really hope it doesn't happen again.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Rental crises right across Canada people can not afford the prices and are being evicted because the property has been sold and there is no where to go. 

A 2 bedroom suite goes any where from $2500 - $3000.  

Wild fires rage out of control in Alberta and British Colombia. Thousands evacuated and smoke effecting most of Canada and upper Mid west USA and east. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nyc-mayor-eric-adams-works-deal-house-migrants-churches-proposes-residences-down-road

New York City Mayor Eric Adams asked residents to welcome the tens of thousands of migrants pouring into the five boroughs, and even suggested the idea of paying homeowners and landlords to house them, the New York Post first reported.

During a press conference on Monday, Adams announced the creation of a two-year partnership with New York Disaster Interfaith Services (NYDIS) that allows up to 50 houses of worship or faith-based spaces to offer overnight shelter for up to 19 single adult men at each location.

The city will also open five offsite daytime centers to provide programming and support for asylum seekers during the day, allowing the faith-based spaces to resume normal activities.

• 2 months later...

Nothing about that here. I'm glad we have the local branches really watching things closely to give us alerts. I pray that you are able to stay safe!!  :pray:

Here is what is trending right now where I live. The same craziness with the former president taking 2 out of 4 slots - sandwiched between Maui and a hurricane coming my way:

8_17.thumb.jpg.f84c7e2af4092066689be5ee5a7165e0.jpg

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....