JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Gordon Lightfoot dies aged 84

One of my favorite singers has died...:cry:

"Tributes have been paid to the singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot who has died at the age of 84.

The Canadian musician became famous in the 60s and 70s with hits like Early Morning Rain and If You Could Read My Mind.

His songs were covered by artists including Elvis Presley, Barbra Streisand and Johnny Cash.

Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau described him as one of the country's greatest singer-songwriters.

"Gordon Lightfoot captured our country's spirit in his music - and in doing so, he helped shape Canada's soundscape," he said on Twitter.

"May his music continue to inspire future generations, and may his legacy live on forever."

A statement on Lightfoot's official Facebook page said he died of natural causes at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto on Monday.

Lightfoot was born in Ontario and won a talent competition as part of a barbershop quartet while still in high school.

Aged 18 he headed to the US to study music composition, before returning to Canada.

He made his radio debut in 1962 with (Remember Me) I'm the One, which led to a number of hit songs and partnerships with other musicians.

Marty Robbins' 1965 cover of Ribbon of Darkness reached number one on the US country charts, while Peter, Paul and Mary took For Lovin' Me into the US top 30.

Lightfoot made his first appearance in the US Billboard chart in 1971, when If You Could Read My Mind reached number five.

It was his highest scoring hit in the UK, where it peaked at number 30 in the same year.

But it reached a new audience in the early 2000s when it was used on the soundtrack to Channel 4 comedy Trigger Happy TV.

Lightfoot had a vast catalogue of more than 200 songs and some were covered by artists including Harry Belafonte, Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead.

Dylan once said: "I can't think of any Gordon Lightfoot song I don't like. Every time I head a song of his, it's like I wish it would last forever."

Lightfoot was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1986, which said he was responsible for "dozens of classic, enduring and chart-topping" compositions.

"Few performers have so eloquently captured the adventure, hardship, tragedy and elation of nation building," it said on its website.

Lightfoot was nominated for four Grammy awards, including for the The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, about the drowning of 29 sailors when a freight ship sank in Lake Superior.

He dominated Canada's Junos in the 1970s, winning 12 awards during the decade.

And in 2003 he was awarded the companion of the Order of Canada - the country's highest civilian honour.

However, Lightfoot was more reserved about his talents, telling Canada's The Globe and Mail: "Sometimes I wonder why I'm being called an icon, because I really don't think of myself that way."

The musician remained an active touring artist well into his 80s, only cancelling his planned tour of the US and Canada last month.

He is survived by his wife Kim Hasse, six children and several grandchildren.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

29 minutes ago, Parale said:

What is the story about his guitarist Red Shea and bass player Rick Haynes?

I heard both of them were brothers.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

38 minutes ago, Qapla said:

The Ballad of the Yarmouth Castle was one of my favorites too.

2 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

He was one of my favorites, I couldn't get enough of Edmund Fitzgerald. Looking forward to him coming back. 🧡

That ship when down when the Great Lakes are tough at that time of the year. Believe me, I live about 4 miles away from Lake Michigan. If you want to see Jehovah's power then those waves will show it. It is awesome.

Understandably front page news in Canada....

Toronto Sun says: "Farewell to our Bard - A nation mourns as legendary folk singer Gordon Lightfoot dies at 84" and inside has a one-page article by Jane Stevenson on page 9.

Toronto Star says: "Gordon Lightfoot 1938-2023 - SUNDOWN - Legendary singer-songwriter, whose voice inspired generations and whose lyrics captured a nation's soul, dies at 84" (the front page picture is from a 1976 concert) and featured inside on pages 2 and 3 is a very nice double-page obituary spread, with pictures.

The Globe and Mail says: "FAREWELL TO A LEGEND - Beloved Canadian folk singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot, whose songs chronicled the soul of the country, dies as 84" (the front page picture is from Lightfoot playing guitar at home in 2016) and there is a nice full-page obituary on page 3 with pictures.

image.thumb.png.f3bd373d9088c02bba11550f75f0ecf2.png

Edited by Parale

On 5/2/2023 at 10:27 PM, Tortuga said:

I heard both of them were brothers.

Red Shea passed away back in 2008 and his memorial was held at a Kingdom Hall.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/red-shea-70/article25579859/

As for Rick Haynes, I cannot confirm whether is not a witness. Many sources say that Gordon Lightfoot banned any speaking of religion at any of his tours, recordings or when the band was together for any reason, as he feared that he would lose more members of his band, as Red Shea left the band due to the strains of touring has for a Christian conscience.