JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Highly Processed Foods Linked To Cognitive Problems

I've always thought that processed food or even fast foods could be a big issue for us. Yes it tastes good, hard for me to pass up a McDonald's breakfast, yet processed anything is questionable. Now that some years have gone by it seems that stats show the choices we make have consequences. I find this interesting. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/04/well/eat/ultraprocessed-food-mental-health.html

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

2 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

I've always thought that processed food or even fast foods could be a big issue for us. Yes it tastes good, hard for me to pass up a McDonald's breakfast, yet processed anything is questionable. Now that some years have gone by it seems that stats show the choices we make have consequences. I find this interesting. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/04/well/eat/ultraprocessed-food-mental-health.html

I was told once that ultra processed milk was just one molecule away from plastic

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

The powers that be promote the ultra processing of most foods for fear of botulism 🙄 

I remember someone coming unhinged because I drink raw milk! 

My hubby and I drank unpasteurized milk for over 40 years.

But, when kids would come to stay on our dairy farm, I would give them store-bought milk,

because their citified tummies couldn't handle 100 Proof milk.  😂

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I grew up drinking raw milk (yes, we had cows) and I never found it harmful - in fact, when I first started drinking store-bought milk, I thought it tasted watered-down.

However, as far as processed food affecting cognitive memory

after many, many years of drinking milk from the store and other processed foods but I haven't noticed any ...

Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

What was I talking about ... Oh yeah, I was talking about the cost of groceries and the challenge of trying to make ends meet on Social Security ...

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Wait, that wasn't it ... I was talking about cooking and if we will have fried foods ....

Episode 2 Wait GIF by ABC Network

Uh ... now I remember, I was going to say something about having something when - if - 

Seth Meyers Stop GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I will just go get something yummy to eat and come back to this later ....

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

OK - Fully nourished

had some Big Macs, fries and a shake - where was I

Confused Pulp Fiction GIFConfused Where Am I GIF by Originals

Oh yeah ... memory and eating

That reminds me, I got out some donuts and ice cream

Don't want the ice cream to melt

Kevin James Brb GIF by TV Land

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 hours ago, Qapla said:

However, as far as processed food affecting cognitive memory

cognitive. adjective. cog·ni·tive ˈkäg-nət-iv. : of, relating to, or being conscious mental activities (as thinking, reasoning, remembering, imagining, learning words, and using language)

Hm... which one to give up? Thinking? , reasoning? 

I am happy to give up on learning words and remembering ..to keep my donuts... 🍩LOL :whistling:

Now I convinced my brain to accept this reality LOL 🤣

I love compromises...

John Cornyn Senate GIF by GIPHY News

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

4 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

to keep my donuts...

Well, we are what we eat and most donuts have a hole in the middle, so, uh, what are we talking about?

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Well, we are what we eat and most donuts have a hole in the middle, so, uh, what are we talking about?

I guess you can say that @New World Explorer isn't "wholesouled" in what he does, because there is a "hole" in his "soul".

doughnut man | a five foot high advert outside a doughnut sh… | Flickr

Edited by Pabo

On 5/4/2023 at 11:11 AM, bagwell1987 said:

Indeed it is.  I can't read the article...apparently I need to subscribe.  But I can tell you why it is the case, based on the things I've learned recently.

Our brain needs fat to function.  In fact, our brains are 40% fat & cholesterol (take note of cholesterol right there.....and worry about statins)

The low-fat diet craze has lead to an increase of mental disorders and conditions (now you know why!!)

Highly processed fats (like seed oils...sunflower, canola, safflower, etc) are more like rubber than fat.  Guess how electricity is affected by rubber?  And guess what goes on in the brain???? (lots of electrical activities)

Processed foods also tend to REMOVE fat and REPLACE it with sugar.  Yay.....

And now you know why processed foods would cause dementia and other issues like that...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 12:30 AM, computerwiz said:

Indeed it is.  I can't read the article...apparently I need to subscribe.  But I can tell you why it is the case, based on the things I've learned recently.

Our brain needs fat to function.  In fact, our brains are 40% fat & cholesterol (take note of cholesterol right there.....and worry about statins)

The low-fat diet craze has lead to an increase of mental disorders and conditions (now you know why!!)

Highly processed fats (like seed oils...sunflower, canola, safflower, etc) are more like rubber than fat.  Guess how electricity is affected by rubber?  And guess what goes on in the brain???? (lots of electrical activities)

Processed foods also tend to REMOVE fat and REPLACE it with sugar.  Yay.....

And now you know why processed foods would cause dementia and other issues like that...

Thanks for sharing, this has been an interesting thread for me as my Grandmother has Alzheimers and I've been researching risk factors.   She didn't have the top risks- she was thin, healthy, kept active, engaged in various mental activities in her retirement as a teacher.  Still, she didn't eat very healthy and she and my Grandpa followed a very low fat diet, I've always wondered if that contributed to her decline.

Side note- we used to buy raw milk and loved it, even my milk allergic daughter could drink some.  Unfortunately we moved and it's  now illegal to purchase in our new province.

12 hours ago, Violin said:

Thanks for sharing, this has been an interesting thread for me as my Grandmother has Alzheimers and I've been researching risk factors.   She didn't have the top risks- she was thin, healthy, kept active, engaged in various mental activities in her retirement as a teacher.  Still, she didn't eat very healthy and she and my Grandpa followed a very low fat diet, I've always wondered if that contributed to her decline.

Side note- we used to buy raw milk and loved it, even my milk allergic daughter could drink some.  Unfortunately we moved and it's  now illegal to purchase in our new province.

There are several risk factors for dementia/Alzheimers.  Not getting enough fat in the diet is one of them.  The other is statin drugs, or having low cholesterol in general.  The brain is supposed to be 40% fat & cholesterol.  If either is too low, disfunction can set in.

There may be more risk factors, but those are the 2 I know of, and probably the biggest.

4 minutes ago, Imagine said:

The question is causation or correlation?

Because further reading of that article says:

One possible reason for this memory loss is the fact that blood type can lead to things like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes. These conditions can cause cognitive impairment and dementia.

And so if "high cholesterol" is linked to that blood type.....guess what they prescribe to those with high cholesterol?  Statins!  One of the "true" causes of dementia/Alzheimer's.