JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Battery lawn mowers

I'm thinking of buying a battery powered lawn mower. Does anyone have any pros or cons they can share?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I'm currently looking at the Greenworks 40V 20" push mower. Does being self propelled really help?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Reviews for this on Amazon are not very good..glad you got a good one! I find reading reviews on Amazon very helpful. I think if we ever needed a mower it would be best to purchase from a local shop that also repairs what they sell.

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

My daughter bought a DeWalt self-propelled cordless ... it can share the batteries with the DeWalt tools we already have. She really likes it and we have not had any problems with it.

The EGO is one of the highest rated cordless mowers

image.jpeg.cde7bdf51e57ebca9438f3b32ac82d29.jpeg

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Rich, I had a gas powered self propelled and really didn't like it

It was heavy, I couldn't man handle it in rough areas, it was just a handful of machine to work with.

With your sized yard I would say get a 20" non propelled...jmho.

Eric has a batt mower, imma call him and see what he's got...

20 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Rich, I had a gas powered self propelled and really didn't like it

It was heavy, I couldn't man handle it in rough areas, it was just a handful of machine to work with.

With your sized yard I would say get a 20" non propelled...jmho.

Eric has a batt mower, imma call him and see what he's got...

I'm thinking the same thing. I looked at the highest rated mower that John just mentioned, the EGO 56+ and it looked like a monster. I want something simple. The Greenworks 40V 20" looks pretty basic and it has a steel deck, some of the ones that I looked at were mostly plastic.

Edited by Tortuga

Just now, Tortuga said:

I'm thinking the same thing. I looked at the highest rated mower, the EGO 56+ and it looked like a monster. I want something simple.

The Greenworks 40V 20" looks pretty basic and it has a steel deck, some of the ones that I looked at were mostly plastic.

Remember that one pops had, a Sunbeam or something like that...

How many times did we run over the cord?:oops::lol1:

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

My daughter bought a DeWalt self-propelled cordless ... it can share the batteries with the DeWalt tools we already have.

I had originally planned to do that since I have a lot of DeWalt 20V tools, but the DeWalt mower doesn't do well in the reviews, and it is expensive. I might get a 20V model if I can get it cheap enough.

Just now, tekmantwo said:

Remember that one pops had, a Sunbeam or something like that...

How many times did we run over the cord?:oops::lol1:

Yup, a twin blade Sunbeam. I think mom bought that with Bluechip stamps..:lol1:

We just got a 20 inch Ryobi and really liking it so far. Big things for me are that it's light, you can lift it really easily. It's so light that despite not having self propelled I don't have issues on my relatively flat yard. I mow for about 30 or so mins and have 2 bars left to weed eat. It's quiet to the point it doesn't wear me down. I like being able to stop and move something out of the way then just pushing a button to start again. I can only think of 1 con right now and it's that I don't like that it's majority plastic, I don't rough handle it though so we'll see how that goes.

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

My daughter bought a DeWalt self-propelled cordless ... it can share the batteries with the DeWalt tools we already have.

I just looked at the DeWalt again and found one that included 2 10aH batteries. That's awesome, since I have a DeWalt blower and trimmer. The package price was better than I thought. I may go look at it tomorrow.

283c0747-4615-428a-a586-27895aedf1d7?qua

Edited by Tortuga

3 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

I do not know we will have mowers in the NW or not, but having a goat or 2 will do the job. Start being nice to them now.

Sorry Dusty, all the goats will be destroyed at Armageddon...

Edited by Tortuga

My son has the twin battery. 

It is very quiet and very light.

I would expect for small well kept lawns, it is adequate. 

I am used to high powered (noisy) machines with some grunt. I used a mulching blade when I had lawn. (No need for a catcher).

My son had not cut his lawn for some weeks, and the battery unit struggled. Compared to my old lawn (1/4 acre) , this was a quarter the size. 

The blade chocked, and the motor shuts off. I clear the blades, and go another 3ft.

After about 20 hard minutes the batteries gave out.  Fortunately he has 6 batteries, so the lawn was finished, but a petrol powered mower is faster. I would have done it in 1 tank with my Honda, and in less time and with less frustration. 

The ryobi is quite narrow, so you cut less on each pass. (I think it's because of the poor power/battery capacity.)

My Honda was much wider (and self-propelled.)

The absence of noise and being lighter is something I appreciate as I get older.  Imho

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

6 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

I do not know we will have mowers in the NW or not, but having a goat or 2 will do the job. Start being nice to them now.

6 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Sorry Dusty, all the goats will be destroyed at Armageddon...

Maybe you can get a few shep to help you out!

10 hours ago, Qapla said:

My daughter bought a DeWalt self-propelled cordless ... it can share the batteries with the DeWalt tools we already have. She really likes it and we have not had any problems with it.

The EGO is one of the highest rated cordless mowers

image.jpeg.cde7bdf51e57ebca9438f3b32ac82d29.jpeg

I agree, I have several tools from Ego. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Kobalt 40 volt. I have had it for 3 months. No problems so far.

I like

It is light.

Little to no maintenance.

Easy to clean.

Starts every time.

I don't like

It's expensive for what I got.

It's only 20", I should have gone wider.

It takes coordination to start the blade, start the self propel, slow/increase the speed while on the go.

Be glad when the new system gets here and we lose this technology. 😝

6 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

My son has the twin battery. 

It is very quiet and very light.

I would expect for small well kept lawns, it is adequate. 

I am used to high powered (noisy) machines with some grunt. I used a mulching blade when I had lawn. (No need for a catcher).

My son had not cut his lawn for some weeks, and the battery unit struggled. Compared to my old lawn (1/4 acre) , this was a quarter the size. 

The blade chocked, and the motor shuts off. I clear the blades, and go another 3ft.

After about 20 hard minutes the batteries gave out.  Fortunately he has 6 batteries, so the lawn was finished, but a petrol powered mower is faster. I would have done it in 1 tank with my Honda, and in less time and with less frustration. 

The ryobi is quite narrow, so you cut less on each pass. (I think it's because of the poor power/battery capacity.)

My Honda was much wider (and self-propelled.)

The absence of noise and being lighter is something I appreciate as I get older.  Imho

I plan on keeping my gas powered mower just in case the battery powered mower doesn't cut it. No pun intended...well, maybe a little pun...

I like the idea of not having to deal with a gas powered mower. My wife was complaining about the smell so getting a battery mower will make things quieter. :whistling:

4 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

1900172442_batterypoweredZeroTurn.jpg.d69a122a84c9b8f19adef41312547e11.jpg

OK.  So I am lazy!  I want one.

Actually, I don't like using too many batteries.  Mining the metals is bad for the Earth.

I have a Cub Raptor 52 inch cut, I mow 4 acres so......

That said I'm going to battery other things. Weed eater and hedge trimmer so far, which I love. My blower is gas but not very old so it stays for now. I used an electric lawn mower at my mom's place and yup I nearly ran over the cord lots of times! 😆 

Battery stuff is getting better. Interested in what you end up with.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

26 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Weed eater and hedge trimmer so far, which I love. My blower is gas but not very old so it stays for now.

I have battery string trimmer and blower but I kept the gas ones just in case.

14 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I just looked at the DeWalt again and found one that included 2 10aH batteries. That's awesome, since I have a DeWalt blower and trimmer. The package price was better than I thought. I may go look at it tomorrow.

283c0747-4615-428a-a586-27895aedf1d7?qua

I decided to buy this one today. There was an online special and I got it for $400. The two batteries are worth $300!!