JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcast - November 2023

11 hours ago, Dages said:

brighter light, not "new light" :D 

I like the idea of brighter light since it's more in harmony with Proverbs 4:18. New light implies that previous light is old (perhaps even wrong) but it isn't. Objects on our pathway become clearer as light shines upon it and gets brighter. Truth has always existed and is neither old or new. Truth doesn't replace itself or get better but our understanding of it gets clearer/brighter. 

21 hours ago, jwhess said:

"Originally" which is 140 years ago, only those that had business to do with the Society were invited.  In those old days, you got the right to vote for donating money to the WTBTS.  Most votes were determined by proxy ballots.  Br. Russell had enough votes to control the elections due to his donating the 21st century equivalent of 7-8 million dollars (more or less).

Later when the voting was limited to 500 and it did not matter about donations, the AM were restricted to a few hundred people.  There was no spiritual convention afterward.  It was purely a business requirement.

Once in a while the gathering was used to invite the public to a convention.

In modern times (say since 1950) it was rare to have any extra people involved.  But on special occasions like the 100th anniversary in Pittsburg, a large convention was arranged.  In that case the contacted the congregations in states nearby to offer tickets to those who were Pioneering or who had been publishing for 20+ years.  But each congregation only had "x-amount" of tickets, so sometimes the service years were upped to 30 or 40 years.

Occasionally, there might be the option of tying an Assembly Hall into the AM and the Circuit Overseer might have a say n who could come to listen.

In 2013 we got invited by congregation.  The AM was broadcast in video in the morning, then recorded video was used on Saturday afternoon, and finally 2 more recorded sessions were held on Sunday morn and afternoon.  We got the new Bible!!

In all of these cases, it was just nearby publishers (time zones) and those were English speaking.  Basically it was the US Branch and Canada.  Now with teleconference, we can reach out a little more.  Some of the Bethel servants stay in their rooms.  My son-in-law was working (LDC) and got to see one in an unfinished building at Warwick by video.

So really, this idea that a lot of people would watch at the same time is relatively new.  There never was a need to invite someone to fly from New Zealand to attend.  Now, many of the overseas locations would be in the early hours of the morning.

If you are not a voting member, it is a chance thing that you will find an invitation or way to attend.  This is why they spend a great deal of time and money to record and translate and produce a copy for everybody to see at home in January these last few years.

This is true and I'll add that the results of the annual meeting elections (along with some decisions) were added to watchtower articles for transparency. 

6 minutes ago, Landon1285 said:

I like the idea of brighter light since it's more in harmony with Proverbs 4:18. New light implies that previous light is old (perhaps even wrong) but it isn't. Objects on our pathway become clearer as light shines upon it and gets brighter. Truth has always existed and is neither old or new. Truth doesn't replace itself or get better but our understanding of it gets clearer/brighter. 

It could be six of one, half dozen of the other.  The light gets brighter, but what if that brightness comes from a new source, a.k.a. new light?  And since the GB call it new light, I'll follow their example.  New light that makes the overall light brighter.

There´s an expression that says "new light on this subject". If the adjustments are so different and new, by all means I think there really was a new light shed on the subject since now the understanding is quite different and changes A LOT our future!!

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

3 minutes ago, coolbrz731 said:

It could be six of one, half dozen of the other.  The light gets brighter, but what if that brightness comes from a new source, a.k.a. new light?  And since the GB call it new light, I'll follow their example.  New light that makes the overall light brighter.

Correct!

3 minutes ago, Sofia said:

There´s an expression that says "new light on this subject". If the adjustments are so different and new, by all means I think there really was a new light shed on the subject since now the understanding is quite different and changes A LOT our future!!

There is "old" light (old understanding that became obsolete and faded away) and "new" light (current understanding that improves our overall knowledge of the light of truth.)

Edited by truce

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Remember: most publishers have not seen the first half (or 2/3s) of the Annual Meeting.  This is where the clarifications were.  The first 3 talks were introduced as "new light" in a symposium with Br. Winder, Br. Splane and Br. Jackson.  That was followed by videos and updates by Br. Lett.

The part shown on this months broadcast was the last 4 talks in symposium, which we did see.  It did indeed focus on love and disciple making.  But we are waiting for January to get the WHOLE Annual Meeting. The beginning of which talks about how the GB gets the "new" understanding by spirit.  And Br. Splane takes us back into Biblical history and adjustments we are making (clarifications) to scriptural understanding of the resurrection process and Br. Jackson moves us unto the modern day to show us a "new" understanding of the Great Tribulation and the Judgement message.

We await the revealing of this first half of the meeting with anticipation.

Thanks bro for this upbuilding word

21 minutes ago, coolbrz731 said:

And since the GB call it new light, I'll follow their example.

Do they? When was the last time? We do have the 'light gets brighter' and variations on that, but I don't think we have 'new light' per se.

In fact, I believe you will find that the clarification is that we now call them 'clarifications' :)

Which also brings it into line with the Watchtower Index where they are listed as 'Beliefs Clarified'

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200277174

Edited by Parale

After a couple of pages of "new light", "brighter light" and so forth, we should direct our attention on the topic.  Which was...the November Broadcast.  The part that was shown and the release of the new publication was not even the part of the AM that had scriptural clarifications.

It did show us the need to follow 1st century examples and we will do so.  Stay tuned for the remainder of the AM program to get the REAL changes to come.  Then you can digress to analyzing the "new", "brighter" or "better" light when it comes.

10 minutes ago, jwhess said:

we should direct our attention on the topic.  Which was...the November Broadcast.

As I asked last month, inline with publishers not reporting specific hours as covered in the November broadcast....

On 10/22/2023 at 8:16 PM, Parale said:

What about reporting weekly congregation meeting attendances?

Particularly vis-a-vis the midweek meeting, considering the S-1 form is

On 11/1/2023 at 2:08 AM, Golfguy74 said:

interesting that there isn't a midweek meeting space.

🤔

36 minutes ago, coolbrz731 said:

7 lampstands? Just kidding. 

All I'm saying is that light is often related to truth which comes from a specific source. To avoid an unnecessary argument on semantics I'll just leave it at that. 

32 minutes ago, Parale said:

Do they? When was the last time? We do have the 'light gets brighter' and variations on that, but I don't think we have 'new light' per se.

Last thing I'll say about this subject.  I can't remember exactly which video I heard it mentioned, but I do remember my CO getting us hyped for a convention teasing that there might be some new light at that convention.  And I could be mixing what the CO said with what the GB said.  But I do tend to repeat the terms that I hear the more responsible brothers use.

It seems to me that this particular group who make up the governing body are not sticklers for descriptors like this. It seems they would rather focus on the information, rather than have long discussions of how to label them. I like that and it seems to have scriptural backing at 2 Timothy 2:14.

Keep reminding them of these things, instructing them before God not to fight about words, something of no usefulness at all because it harms those listening

The study note says:

The fights may have been about trivial differences in the meaning of words

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

53 minutes ago, Parale said:

In fact, I believe you will find that the clarification is that we now call them 'clarifications' :)

Which also brings it into line with the Watchtower Index where they are listed as 'Beliefs Clarified'

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200277174

Well I'm obliged to mention that Brother Winder of the Governing Body used that term "new light" in his talk at the 2023 Annual Meeting. So that was the most recent usage of the term in a theocratic setting. 

54 minutes ago, truce said:

Well I'm obliged to mention that Brother Winder of the Governing Body used that term "new light" in his talk at the 2023 Annual Meeting. So that was the most recent usage of the term in a theocratic setting. 

Oh, interesting. Brother WInder's talk has not been released on JW.org yet, and I did not attend/watch the Annual Meeting live, so I will look forward to watching it in January....

1 hour ago, trottigy said:

It seems to me that this particular group who make up the governing body are not sticklers for descriptors like this. It seems they would rather focus on the information, rather than have long discussions of how to label them. I like that and it seems to have scriptural backing at 2 Timothy 2:14.

There was a time when the Slave was a bit picky with using the exact words: No "new light", no "vindicating" Jehovah's name, and so on. But now it seems they don't care too much, in fact it seems sometimes they use those expressions on purpose. I like that too.

2 hours ago, carlos said:

There was a time when the Slave was a bit picky with using the exact words: No "new light", no "vindicating" Jehovah's name, and so on. But now it seems they don't care too much, in fact it seems sometimes they use those expressions on purpose. I like that too.

Its all about unity. Our congregation is divided. The Phili'stines sit on one side and the Philis'tines sit on the other.

Just Kidding 😂

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, carlos said:

Because it's just a gramma.

But obviously some are seeking "deeper meaning or significance" in specific expressions. 

In a long term it does not matter. It's better to focus on subject matter than expression how it was introduced. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

A sister and her anointed husband who were in attendance in person at the AM told me there was a ”new teaching“ (translated from German). This made me think at first hearing it, that it’s literally a new belief vs.a different understanding of something. But maybe that’s used in the German language to describe clarification. So interesting about this discussion. 🤔

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

On 11/14/2023 at 1:28 AM, truce said:

Wow! So I just need to know someone who knows someone then. 

I know Jehovah and that still wasn't enough!

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

• carlos changed the title to JW Broadcast - November 2023
  • trottigy unpinned this topic