JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

10 hours ago, Sofia said:

Exactly!

By changing the more strict costumes he can also blend more.
Not so conspicuous

Who doesn’t hear “ hey there go JWs” 

Of course we must stand out as different 

But GT is approaching fast so fast!

I’ve always wondered how we’ll dress if we continue to preach door to door during the GT. If we do preach door to door our persecutors won’t be able to tell us from a door to door sales person 😁

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

2 minutes ago, Cushi said:

I’ve always wondered how we’ll dress if we continue to preach door to door during the GT. If we do preach door to door our persecutors won’t be able to tell us from a door to door sales person 😁

I think our witnessing is going to be more informal then. Could be wrong though.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Sometimes you see ones get disfellowshipped for immorality and when they decide to come back, they bring their unbelieving mate to the hall. I sometimes think about their unbelieving mate possibly being stumbled by seeing the friends ignore their mate. I try to imagine myself in their shoes and wonder what I would think if I saw that. Would I agree with it or not? Would I let it stumble me? Now I don’t have to worry about unbelieving mates being stumbled at how disfellowshipped ones are treated anymore 😊

Edited by Cushi

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I’m really gonna feel out of place wearing a bow tie to the meeting now 🤣

I need to go to bed, as I have my weekend meeting this morning. Looking forward to seeing who decides to not wear a tie and who wears slacks 😊

Edited by Cushi

8 minutes ago, Cushi said:

Sometimes you see ones get disfellowshipped for immorality and when they decide to come back, they bring their unbelieving mate to the hall. I sometimes think about their unbelieving mate possibly being stumbled by seeing the friends ignore their mate. I try to imagine myself in their shoes and wonder what I would think if I saw that. Would I agree with it or not? Would I let it stumble me? Now I don’t have to worry about unbelieving mates being stumbled at how disfellowshipped ones are treated anymore 😊

Yes my son in law feels like that. However there is a caution there. The update isn't a free for all. We should greet those disfellowshipped ones as each conscience allows. Doesn't mean we go off to a Cafe after a meeting with them. There is still a process in place, it's just a warmer more welcoming process now.

Can I add here too, the person who is disfellowshipped knows why they were. They should really be putting their spouse right if they have humility. 

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

32 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Yes, go for it! No ties on the brothers today out in service. Just too hot still here for dress pants for the sisters.

On holidays atm so did special talk on Zoom.  Saw a sister with pants.  Friends also on holidays here went to local hall.  She text me lots of pants on sisters.  Its around 28-29C today.🥺

1 minute ago, coolbrz731 said:

Does anyone know how this will affect metro carts?  We're assigned to the University of Washington, so it's definitely a more casual environment.  Watch me get a text right after asking this question...

On our Metro whatsapp group our CO put this up:

“How happy I am for you dear brothers and sisters as you watch the latest update. 
What a God! What an organisation! What a GB!”

So I’m guessing same dress code applies to Metro.

4 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

it's just a warmer more welcoming process now.

That’s exactly what I had in mind. I know the slave wasn’t saying we would unnecessarily associate with them, nor would I want to. That would be an act of disloyalty to Jehovah. What I’m saying is if I were the unbelieving mate, I’m not sure how I would feel about my girlfriend being totally ignored. I could understand folks greeting her but not associating with her if she was expelled from the congregation for serious wrong doing. I think the friends simply greeting a disfellowshipped person can have a big impact on an unbelieving mate.

4 minutes ago, Cushi said:

That’s exactly what I had in mind. I know the slave wasn’t saying we would unnecessarily associate with them, nor would I want to. That would be an act of disloyalty to Jehovah. What I’m saying is if I were the unbelieving mate, I’m not sure how I would feel about my girlfriend being totally ignored. I could understand folks greeting her but not associating with her if she was expelled from the congregation for serious wrong doing. I think the friends simply greeting a disfellowshipped person can have a big impact on an unbelieving mate.

I agree, but like I added ... they should be explaining to their spouse why they were disfellowshipped and not allowing those who did nothing take the fall instead.  I really hope my daughter can say to her husband .... this why, and I need to fix it. Now we can make that path just a wee bit smoother for her and others.

After I watched the broadcast yesterday morning I headed to the Kingdom Hall and ended up conducting the meeting for field service. I was wearing my tie. Nobody else had yet seen the broadcast but I encouraged them to watch it plus I mentioned the point about inviting disfellowshipped ones to the special talk and memorial.

Just before I concluded a missionary couple on vacation from their assignment in Africa arrived and sat behind everybody else. I knew them and welcomed them. The brother had no tie and the sister was wearing dress slacks. Yes they had just watched the broadcast and quickly made a change.

Here in Florida it can get quite hot in service so after a short time I dispensed with wearing my tie😀

49 minutes ago, Foxes53 said:

After I watched the broadcast yesterday morning I headed to the Kingdom Hall and ended up conducting the meeting for field service. I was wearing my tie. Nobody else had yet seen the broadcast but I encouraged them to watch it plus I mentioned the point about inviting disfellowshipped ones to the special talk and memorial.

Just before I concluded a missionary couple on vacation from their assignment in Africa arrived and sat behind everybody else. I knew them and welcomed them. The brother had no tie and the sister was wearing dress slacks. Yes they had just watched the broadcast and quickly made a change.

Here in Florida it can get quite hot in service so after a short time I dispensed with wearing my tie😀

So the brother that took the group had that same question today - did he need to wear his tie while conducting the meeting. We were at the hall - so he erred on the side of caution.

But what about when we meet in the territory? Surely it means no tie required? And if that’s the case, then surely the same applies for groups meeting at the hall?

14 minutes ago, Leslie.m said:

So the brother that took the group had that same question today - did he need to wear his tie while conducting the meeting. We were at the hall - so he erred on the side of caution.

But what about when we meet in the territory? Surely it means no tie required? And if that’s the case, then surely the same applies for groups meeting at the hall?

How times have changed? I was looking at the economic struggle of our brothers and sisters in the so-called 3rd world countries. This new updates (beard issue included is a relief. In the past, many have heard to worry about meetings and field ministry appearances in competition with sustenance. How grateful we are for these new updates.

What I really appreciate about this update is the way we see the difference between the texts in 1st Corinthians and 2 John. Honestly, I always thought and understood it this way from my personal study.
So, to see it "in print" right now is an affirmation for me how diligent the brothers are to follow Biblical instruction and are not "conservative" when it comes to their own views. They follow Jehovahs time to clear things up.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-S911B met Tapatalk

All of this Is a loving change. Being able to briefly welcome DFd ones is so nice. I saw a few DFd brothers and sisters at last years convention and at the circuit assemblies. I was excited to see them there and making steps to be reinstated. Now that I can give them a brief and encouraging greeting, I’m gonna take advantage of every opportunity I can at our meetings to do so. Maybe it’ll be those little greetings that encourages them to keep going to the meetings and keep making progress towards reinstatement. They’ll see that we still love them and want them to come back. That small greeting can make a difference for them.

This is proof of how amazing Jehovah’s love is and that he misses and still loves his lost sheep and doesn’t give up on them. I’m hopeful that we’ll see more reinstatement announcements and less disfellowshipping announcements from this point forward. It’s so strongly evident now that Jehovah truly doesn’t want anyone to be destroyed and he’ll do whatever he can to save as many as possible. 

Now as for ties, it depends on my mood and how I feel that day for our weekly meetings 😂. If I decide not to wear a tie for a meeting, I’ll bring one with me and put it in my bag just in case I have to do a last second substitution or if something comes up that requires a tie. Always good to be prepared. For conventions, I will not wear a tie or jacket while waiting to get in. It gets extremely hot so this will make it more comfortable. I’ll put on the tie that’s in my bag after I cooldown, drink water and rest for a couple minutes before proceeding to work my assignment. 

Also, a brother who worked a later SMPW shift last night told me that he and a few other brothers didn’t have ties on during their shifts. 

I guess many of us older ones,  who are very routine based and follow typical dress codes of our generation, are likely to carry on with our more formal dress and still wear jacket and tie when at meetings. Personally, I would feel uncomfortable without a jacket and tie, since the UK is not known for its heat it won't be a problem.

These relaxed dress guides, seem to align themselves with the new LPMD guidelines toward a more informal public ministry. 

My daughter summarized the subject: the change is now we do not have to be rude to people when they come to the Kingdom Hall. We greet everybody. It did not feel right anyway. I personally always felt that if one of my kids was disfellowshipped I would stop socializing with them meaning having meals , spending time together at the movies or shopping, but I would call to ask how they were doing if they needed anything and to encourage them to go to the meetings. It was going to be between me and Jehovah. Now no need for that. 😊