JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

4 hours ago, Dolce vita said:

I made very clever calculations during the pandemic, sometimes I was right but often I was wrong. That's what science is, when it is confronted with divine greatness, it fails.

The last one was posted on Friday March 15. For the next one I suggest: Friday April 26. And if it's in May, maybe the 3rd. QED: it will be a Friday, that's for sure, but what day of what month? 

Thank you, Sister Fa! I'll be waiting for one of those dates.

15 hours ago, truce said:

I tend to favor Friday April 26 or even the Friday before, because of the upcoming convention starting in May. We expect the new song to be released following the next update. 

I'm thinking May the 3rd or May the 10th :D 

May the patience be with us

I have noticed a pattern in the recent updates. The GB is preparing us for extreme weather conditions.

Men can grow beards and sisters can wear trousers, that sounds like the weather may be unusually cold in some areas.

Brothers don't have to wear jackets or ties, that sounds like it will be unusually hot in some areas.

I think the next Update will tell us to start serving hot and cold drinks at the Kingdom Hall..:lol1:

"I'd like a Matcha Latte for the Public Talk please.."

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

15 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I have noticed a pattern in the recent updates. The GB is preparing us for extreme weather conditions.

Men can grow beards and sisters can wear trousers, that sounds like the weather may be unusually cold in some areas.

Brothers don't have to wear jackets or ties, that sounds like it will be unusually hot in some areas.

I think the next Update will tell us to start serving hot and cold drinks at the Kingdom Hall..:lol1:

I tend to agree... maybe some bourbon on the rocks, shaken not stirred... for the WT conductor. 

5 minutes ago, truce said:

I tend to agree... maybe some bourbon on the rocks, shaken not stirred... for the WT conductor. 

A nice cold beer for the WT reader...:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

12 minutes ago, Mike047 said:

According to the bible it's also good to take courage (Acts 28:15) - not a bad drink either.

I would like to be in the Three Taverns congregation...:lol1:

3 minutes ago, Araujo JW said:

Not being the wine of wrath, the wine of fury or the wine of anger, it can be any drink. :laugh:

- Jeremiah 25:15; Revelation 16:19; Revelation 14:10.

If we served wine at the meetings, we would need a bigger bottle for the Memorial...:lol1:

On 4/9/2024 at 7:47 AM, Tortuga said:

They may not serve Latte's; I forgot about the scripture at Habakkukish 2:3 . . .For your drink is yet for its appointed time, and it is brewing toward its end, and it will not be cold. Even if it should delay, keep in expectation of it! For it will without fail be brewed. It will not be latte!

Edited by Tortuga

Okay. I'm just gonna say it.. you know what's NOT a good look, fellas?  Short sleeved shirts, t-shirt visible at neck and no jacket. Especially if it's a plaid pattern, as seems to be so popular around here.  It looks like what a little kid would wear. Much too casual to my eyes - it's like what a Dad might wear to take the family out to breakfast, then a trip to the park.

Brothers MUST have long-sleeved shirts somewhere, right? Those- with a jacket, no tie... that looks so much nicer than the Costco shopping trip gear I've been seeing in my congregation.. 🥺😓

There. That's my rant of the day. Let the readers use discernment 🖖🏽

Screenshot_20240412_083318_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Hope

16 minutes ago, Hope said:

Okay. I'm just gonna say it.. you know what's NOT a good look, fellas?  Short sleeved shirts, t-shirt visible at neck and no jacket. Especially if it's a plaid pattern, as seems to be so popular around here.  It looks like what a little kid would wear. Much too casual to my eyes - it's like what a Dad might wear to take the family out to breakfast, then a trip to the park.

Brothers MUST have long-sleeved shirts somewhere, right? Those- with a jacket, no tie... that looks so much nicer than the Costco shopping trip gear I've been seeing in my congregation.. 🥺😓

There. That's my rant of the day. Let the readers use discernment 🖖🏽

Screenshot_20240412_083318_Chrome.jpg

I remember wearing something similar to high school in the 90s! 🙂

21 minutes ago, Hope said:

Short sleeved shirts, t-shirt visible at neck and no jacket.

I just stored my crew neck T-shirts and bought a bunch of V-neck T-shirts. Personally, I like a long sleeve shirt with a button-down collar if I am not going to wear a tie.  

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I just stored my crew neck T-shirts and bought a bunch of V-neck T-shirts. Personally, I like a long sleeve shirt with a button-down collar if I am not going to wear a tie.  

So much better. We got brothers dressed like the above as door attendants. One is an elder.

The shirts are tucked in, at least - but I'm not a fan 😒

51 minutes ago, Hope said:

That's my rant of the day. Let the readers use discernment

I am trying to use discernment is responding. That being said, I like turtlenecks! In the late 60's I would wear a suit jacket and turtleneck to the meetings as a little boy! Time to bring back the turtleneck! 

sddefault turtleneck.jpg

fad19da5-d266-4fee-8c86-78dcf7a88281.__CR0,0,600,450_PT0_SX600_V1___.jpg

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

So I live in the UK and am currently visiting the USA (midwest). I'm really surprised how much the brothers and sisters have embraced the new dress and grooming code. It looks like a coiled spring has been released in the USA! Way more beards and relaxed dress than in the UK.

TBH you don't notice a huge difference in the UK except for the beards at Bethel and on the assembly platform and a few sisters in slacks. We already had two elders in our congregation with beards before the change and now we have maybe 3 more brothers who have grown them. That's it! It just wasn't a big deal in our congregation. It seemed strange when one of them went to Bethel for construction and had to shave it off. Then he grew it again when he came back. Most brothers are still in suits and ties to the meeting. Less so on service.

What I do notice is that dress in general is way more casual in the USA than in the UK so the chasm between our dress for spiritual activities and non-spiritual was massive.

It's very interesting to observe.

Edited by Abigail

25 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

I am trying to use discernment is responding. That being said, I like turtlenecks! In the late 60's I would wear a suit jacket and turtleneck to the meetings as a little boy! Time to bring back the turtleneck! 

sddefault turtleneck.jpg

fad19da5-d266-4fee-8c86-78dcf7a88281.__CR0,0,600,450_PT0_SX600_V1___.jpg

Looks groovy 😎 👌🏼 I love it!

Purposeful and stylish... but does need a jacket, I think. Or else that sweater better be quality 🤌🏼

Edited by Hope