JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

Let's summarize the results in our meeting. I'll be honest, I don't like despotism and totalitarianism. All brethren who serve in maintenance, which is audio/video equipment, stage maintenance, commentary microphones, etc., wear ties and jackets as they did before announcement #2.  But there is one, but! Elders not participating in the program allow themselves to not wear tie and jacket because they are not serving during the program. Some elders look at brothers with judgment when they serve in the field without ties. 

Edited by Andrey

31 minutes ago, Andrey said:

Let's summarize the results in our meeting. I'll be honest, I don't like despotism and totalitarianism. All brethren who serve in maintenance, which is audio/video equipment, stage maintenance, commentary microphones, etc., wear ties and jackets as they did before announcement #2.  But there is one, but! Elders not participating in the program allow themselves to not wear tie and jacket because they are not serving during the program. Some elders look at brothers with judgment when they serve in the field without ties. 

Some will take more time to adapt.

Jehovah is patient with us.

So, here's a thought, why don't we all dress the way we use to unless we need to take off our jacket and tie..

I know we don't have to wear a tie and jacket but if we are in a nice air-conditioned KH, then why wouldn't we want to do our best?

This new provision to adapt our clothing to the environment reminds me of Zoom, it's a great provision for those that need it but that doesn't mean everyone should do it.

Hold on, let me put on my fire protection gear before you respond..

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Andrey said:

All brethren who serve in maintenance, which is audio/video equipment, stage maintenance, commentary microphones, etc., wear ties and jackets as they did before announcement #2. 

Not in our Congregation. Our audio/av brothers wear no ties or jackets. Our stage brothers, some have worn jacket and tie, others no jacket or tie. Those leading out for service including Elders, some have chosen to wear a tie, others do not. 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I know we don't have to wear a tie and jacket but if we are in a nice air-conditioned KH, then why wouldn't we want to do our best?

That reminds of a story from Dillon, South Carolina at a meeting. One ministerial servant would not take of his jacket as he felt he should always wear a jacket, especially on a Sunday meeting. The brothers tapped him on the shoulder, had a brief conversation with him to please take his jacket off. The brothers wanted unity at the meeting and wanted this brother and others to enjoy the meeting with some comfort.

Another interesting thing happened at this meeting. The visiting speaker said something in his talk that the scriptures did not support. He said something in reference to his mother "God rest her soul". As soon as this was said I saw 3-4 elders get up and have a brief meeting. As soon as the talk was over the brother who gave the talk was taken to the second school and told he would not be saying the closing prayer due to the comment. He stayed for the meeting. That was almost 40 years ago and it still clear in my mind.

I am getting used to the change in dress.  It took me about 3 months to get used to the beards so I can imaginge that I will feel mostly comfortable with the new style before the start of the next service year.

Forward be our watchword.  It is the 'old' song title.

"...steps and voices joined; Seek the things before us, not a look behind....

sn1.JPG

Edited by jwhess

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

So, here's a thought, why don't we all dress the way we use to unless we need to take off our jacket and tie..

This new provision to adapt our clothing to the environment reminds me of Zoom, it's a great provision for those that need it but that doesn't mean everyone should do it.

Hold on, let me put on my fire protection gear before you respond..

flame thrower fire GIF

Since the "environment" wasn't mentioned as a reason for the change, I don't think it's accurate to say that tie-less brothers in AC-ed rooms are deficient in some way. The announcement said the goal is to be "dignified, modest, and appropriate", not doing the most you can.

Is a Sister who doesn't wear a necklace, earrings, and two bracelets not doing her best because she could do more? At what point does "doing your best" become putting on a showy display and being immodest? 

fur coat GIF by STATES OF UNDRESS

I recommend reframing your mind,

to: "is this brother dignified, modest, and appropriate"?

If YES, then: 

Mission Accomplished.

The Man Reaction GIF by ION Mystery

26 minutes ago, LeolaRootStew said:

I recommend reframing your mind,

I was sharing my opinion, that's what we do here isn't it? :lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I was sharing my opinion, that's what we do here isn't it? :lol1:

you invited a response...

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Maybe we are having a culture clash? When I say "reframe your mind" I mean change your perspective, because your current perspective seems to be causing you some sort of distress (?). No offense was intended, I genuinely thought you wanted a response. 💜 

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

So my next guess for a future update is that sisters can be used to read the Watchtower Study and CBS. Some sisters in our congregation are excellent readers and really like to read, I would love to see them used to read the WT and CBS:D

I used to have often the priveledge to read the book study decades ago.

I was so happy with that ❤️ 

It s interesting to think about it 

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

So my next guess for a future update is that sisters can be used to read the Watchtower Study and CBS. Some sisters in our congregation are excellent readers and really like to read, I would love to see them used to read the WT and CBS:D

I would love that so much. Back in the day, if we didn't have appropriate brothers at a Book Study, I would read sometimes.. it was so enjoyable. 

I've always wished I could do a Bible reading talk.

35 minutes ago, Hope said:

I've always wished I could do a Bible reading talk.

A lot of Brothers could use your attitude when it comes to a Bible reading. I have seen so many brothers get disappointed when all they "get is a Bible reading".  Talks are fun to give, that being said I will take a Bible reading over a talk any day of the week. It is a privilege to read God's Word in front of a congregation. One of the most difficult and enjoyable readings I ever gave was a week after my mom had passed away. What was the reading? It was November 6, 2018 and the Bible reading was John 20:1-18. My wife heard my voice cracking several times. Brothers cherish your Bible reading assignments. They are a treasure.

1 hour ago, truce said:

Talk to me about this Monday 3rd June 

Well that s the Monthly Broadcasting featuring Gileade s graduation. Some of us here at the Forum attended it 😉

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Good idea. 

More participation for sisters is a good training for what is coming

2 hours ago, DancesWithWife said:

I will take a Bible reading over a talk any day of the week. It is a privilege to read God's Word in front of a congregation.  Brothers cherish your Bible reading assignments. 

I had the privilege of the Bible reading a couple of weeks ago.  Psalm 22:1-19.

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"  Powerful material.  And, it was my first assignment n my new congregation!   :sweat:

On 4/12/2024 at 8:50 PM, jwhess said:

I am getting used to the change in dress.  It took me about 3 months to get used to the beards so I can imaginge that I will feel mostly comfortable with the new style before the start of the next service year.

Forward be our watchword.  It is the 'old' song title.

"...steps and voices joined; Seek the things before us, not a look behind....

sn1.JPG

Remember that song well, lot of nice songs in that song book.

sandra

On 4/13/2024 at 4:11 AM, Andrey said:

Boy, wouldn't I make their heads spin of I was in your congregation!

When the GB update was released, which was on a Saturday morning here in Australia, I turned up to the FSG with no tie. I was the first to do so in our congregation whereas every other brother did wear a tie.

Even though I still choose to wear a tie to the meetings, mainly as it has been much milder in the temperature, however when it does gets a bit sticky under the collar, the tie will be GONE!

But I am happy not having to bring a jacket (which I didn't when doing AV desk or security before the announcement) when now doing mics or stage. I just get too hot wearing a jacket, even when it was cold. You rarely see me wear a jacket at all, even in winter inside our KH, mainly because they turn up the heat on the air conditioner in winter.

We still have a couple of brothers have the opinion that we should be wearing ties and jackets in doing duties which are off the stage or conducting the FSG or saying a prayer at a FSG, but they will eventually adjust in time. I know I have. 😜

Edited by Pabo