JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

I should make it clear that the announcement in the US about clothing styles was only given to the elders.  It was not included in the Congregation announcement nor was it posted on the information board.  So the congregations in the US Branch territory would not have heard any such announcement either.

1 minute ago, Dhanyel said:

When was this announcement made? 

Translating...

“Jehovah lovingly warned us that there would be a lack of food in the last few days. (Matt. 24:7) In recent times, the cost of food and agricultural products increased in many countries. What practical measures can we take to prepare for food shortages? . . . ” 

(May 1st)

2 minutes ago, jwhess said:

So the congregations in the US Branch territory would not have heard any such announcement either.

Our CO spoke about it during the meeting for field service.

The minute the update was released and the announcement was read, everyone wanted to know exactly what does "have a part on the meeting" include.

Clarification was inevitable.

2 minutes ago, Murilo Orlando said:

Translating...

“Jehovah lovingly warned us that there would be a lack of food in the last few days. (Matt. 24:7) In recent times, the cost of food and agricultural products increased in many countries. What practical measures can we take to prepare for food shortages? . . . ” 

(May 1st)

With the situation in Rio Grande do Sul it will affect the economy, the images of the floods are very sad

43 minutes ago, Doug said:

Our CO spoke about it during the meeting for field service.

The minute the update was released and the announcement was read, everyone wanted to know exactly what does "have a part on the meeting" include.

Clarification was inevitable.

We had the CO visit last week and the question was brought up.  He mentioned that the tie and jacket requirement applied only to those who went up on stage to give a part.  Those passing the mics, working in the sound booth and attendants did not require a tie and jacket.  Well, after receiving this latest announcement, we had to let all the brothers with these privileges know about the "new light" in regards to dressing.

1 hour ago, BPelder said:

We had the CO visit last week and the question was brought up.  He mentioned that the tie and jacket requirement applied only to those who went up on stage to give a part.  Those passing the mics, working in the sound booth and attendants did not require a tie and jacket.  Well, after receiving this latest announcement, we had to let all the brothers with these privileges know about the "new light" in regards to dressing.

Now we have specific direction from the Branch.  We will all need to readjust again.

10 hours ago, Bluebell said:

dresscode.jpeg

We also had a #3 concerning the Theocratic schools.  But on the full announcement (elders portion) there were several other numbered sections deailing with specific duties, like mic handling, stage, attendants and AV.  They should wear our more formal dress (jacket/ties and sisters skirts/dresses).

So our regular publishers heard about the Theocratic Schools part of the announcement but not the other parts.

22 minutes ago, jwhess said:

We also had a #3 concerning the Theocratic schools.  But on the full announcement (elders portion) there were several other numbered sections deailing with specific duties, like mic handling, stage, attendants and AV.  They should wear our more formal dress (jacket/ties and sisters skirts/dresses).

So our regular publishers heard about the Theocratic Schools part of the announcement but not the other parts.

What about elder meetings, shepherding calls, etc?

3 hours ago, Murilo Orlando said:

Translating...

(May 1st)

We had that announcement on our congregation early this year 

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

Yeah I found that strange.

Perhaps we are being tested....seeing how the publishers will listen to the elders when they get "different" direction than they understood from the Update.  Information they will probably not be happy with.  Will they receive this "new" information as being handed down from the GB?  Or will they cause conflict because what they understood from the Update video is different than what they're hearing from the elders?

Just interesting that that part wasn't read to the congregation...

55 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Perhaps we are being tested....seeing how the publishers will listen to the elders when they get "different" direction than they understood from the Update.  Information they will probably not be happy with.  Will they receive this "new" information as being handed down from the GB?  Or will they cause conflict because what they understood from the Update video is different than what they're hearing from the elders?

That sounds a little underhanded and there isn't any reason for the GB to do that. The information from the GB is provided to the ones that are affected by it. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

Now we have specific direction from the Branch.  We will all need to readjust again.

To me it's like skating at the roller rink, sometimes you skate going forward, sometimes you skate backwards, either way you are going in the correct direction, how you get there has changed slightly! 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

Posted (edited)

This will be testing for some regarding if their corresponding Branch sends this announcement to their respective congregations that are under their care. As the original GB update did specifically mentioned those having "part of the program", which did have some questioning what exactly does it entail. For most, it would have meant just on the stage itself, whereas for others it may have meant those ancillary duties are also included.

Now that some Branches have handed out more clearer direction on what constitutes a "part of the program" that are related to their area of oversight, we just have to follow the direction.

It would have been much clearer if they said "any who are assigned a part or duty to perform at the meeting", it would have seemed much easier for most to comprehend for most.

While it was pleasing for me have a period of not having to wear a jacket when doing mics and stage (even thoughI still wore a tie), it just means I'll just have to roster myself less in doing these parts I guess 🤭 (I do the roster for our congregation). In our congregation, it was always optional wearing jackets when doing AV, as it does get stuffy in the back corner, as also with security or back counter. Some will always wear their jacket, whereas some don't, like myself. I just get hot wearing jackets, even in winter, thus I only wear it when absolutely necessary. I did stage mics last MWM, so it could be the last time I can get away with this if we get the announcement here in Australia. I am more like :praying: that we don't get that announcement.

As it is coming into winter, it isn't too bad to put up with. However, when it does get hot especially getting close to summer, then jackets do get to become optional anyways in our congregation.

Edited by Pabo

21 hours ago, Bluebell said:

dresscode.jpeg

That's that was read at our meeting tonight. I asked our COBE about the attendants, etc. He said that wasn't part of the congregation announcements.. but a word was had with all the brothers. All the working crew were in jackets and ties 😉

1 hour ago, Hope said:

That's that was read at our meeting tonight. I asked our COBE about the attendants, etc. He said that wasn't part of the congregation announcements.. but a word was had with all the brothers. All the working crew were in jackets and ties 😉

We had the same congregation announcement this week, but nothing else in the Elders section of the letter in the UK regarding other duties - yet 😂😂

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 4:08 PM, Dages said:

Even Elder Committees do not require them neckties

I probably would in a committee…

that’s me 

especially since they often occur before /after meeting

but on shepherding call this week we both wore only ties …. It did seem a bit more relaxed for the family…. So that was good

Dont think I’ve worn a jacket in service for over a decade or 2 

it’s too hot here

doesn’t show spirit of a sound mind

CO still conducts with jacket then tosses jacket after mtg as we head out

Edited by DarinS

Spelling

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DarinS said:

but on shepherding call this week we both wore only ties

:eek: No shoes?...socks?...nothing?

:lol1:

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 5/2/2024 at 3:51 PM, Dhanyel said:

When was this announcement made? 

On 5/2/2024 at 7:20 PM, Sofia said:

We had that announcement on our congregation early this year 

Yes we had it in January of this year. 

On 5/3/2024 at 8:03 AM, pgwenlan said:

We had the same congregation announcement this week, but nothing else in the Elders section of the letter in the UK regarding other duties - yet 😂😂

I'm surprised as I would have thought the standard of dress in the UK was more formal than in the USA.