JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

13 hours ago, JonE said:

The last two pages of this thread struck me at first as hilarious, but then almost sad.

Agreed. Implementing change take time for all to make the needed change. Some will continue dressing the way they always have. Others have changed immediately. We are a progressive organization to say the least. Will there be adjustments to the new guidelines we have been given? Possibly. 

These are such small changes of grooming and dress when we think about them. To me the biggest challenge was the use of electronics. I was determined not to use a tablet, to be a "real" Bible guy, "real" books & magazines. The change took time. But as I get older, my brain and body not working the same as they used to, I value the use of tablets, computers or phones. JW broadcasting is like having a CA, SA & RC each month. 

I think of the brothers and sisters who have left deeply entrenched beliefs behind to accept worship of Jehovah. That to me takes courage. If I have a beard or not, if I wear a suit does not require courage. Standing up for Jehovah, leaving behind traditions and becoming acceptable to Jehovah takes courage and faith. Those who make those changes build my faith, not what they look like on the outside, but who they are today and what it took to get there. That's real change, courage and show outwardly to all faith. 

My wife and I talk about faith all the time, faithful to each other and Jehovah. Being faithful, not how I am groomed or wear is how we want others to see us.

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

41 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

Agreed. Implementing change take time for all to make the needed change. Some will continue dressing the way they always have. Others have changed immediately. We are a progressive organization to say the least. Will there be adjustments to the new guidelines we have been given? Possibly. 

These are such small changes of grooming and dress when we think about them. To me the biggest challenge was the use of electronics. I was determined not to use a tablet, to be a "real" Bible guy, "real" books & magazines. The change took time. But as I get older, my brain and body not working the same as they used to, I value the use of tablets, computers or phones. JW broadcasting is like having a CA, SA & RC each month. 

I think of the brothers and sisters who have left deeply entrenched beliefs behind to accept worship of Jehovah. That to me takes courage. If I have a beard or not, if I wear a suit does not require courage. Standing up for Jehovah, leaving behind traditions and becoming acceptable to Jehovah takes courage and faith. Those who make those changes build my faith, not what they look like on the outside, but who they are today and what it took to get there. That's real change, courage and show outwardly to all faith. 

My wife and I talk about faith all the time, faithful to each other and Jehovah. Being faithful, not how I am groomed or wear is how we want others to see us.

Jennifer Lopez Applause GIF by NBC World Of Dance

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

How is everyone reacting to all of the changes that have come in the last 6 months in your congregations?  Many seem to be adapting well, but there are some who seem unhappy about it.  How can we encourage everyone to adapt and move with Jehovah's Organization?  I don't want to see people get discouraged.  What are your thoughts?

48 minutes ago, RedRob said:

there are some who seem unhappy about it

How do you know if they are "unhappy about it " are they openly voicing their opinion or giving sneering looks, I haven't seen that in our congregation, there are either nice comments on how the differen't beards look or how nice the sisters slacks look on those that look nice ( some I feel are wearing too tight fitting slacks, young brothers included ) as far as no ties, only a very few have chose not to wear a tie or jacket when not having a part, 2 elders approached me and commented on how my nice my beard and no tie look was. I am meticulous at keeping my short beard trimmed with little to no fly away hairs sticking out, in fact while sitting behind some brothers with beards I can't help but noticing their fly away hairs sticking out and want to bring my scissors to the meeting and snip them ( of course while they're not looking 😂 )     🧔🏻‍♂️

We had a visit from the CO not long ago. During the preaching meetings, while listening to the brother, I said to myself that perhaps the best thing was to not talk about it anymore. Why ? The CO, hairless, made a comment about the only two brothers in the congregation who were bearded, an elder and a young one. He pointed out to the youngest that he had the beard of Jesus Christ, the poor brother was embarrassed, and no one really understood what the Overseer meant, and when he saw the elder he exclaimed :  “Come , U., allow me to touch it, this beard looks very dense.” The brother felt very uncomfortable.

I then thought that the best thing was to no longer talk about it as something new. It would be better not to think about it in the end, unless you find a lovely sister with her slacks and a charming brother with his pretty, well-trimmed beard. You shouldn't look like Rasputin, should you ?

6 minutes ago, Dolce vita said:

You shouldn't look like Rasputin, should you ?

There was an older brother giving a talk on zoom last Sunday on our neighbor congregation, my wife was listening in as she usually watches both our meeting and our daughters meeting on zoom, he had a very uncouth, untrimmed beard with neck hair growing on his sagging neck, sad to say, but yes, keep it neat or shave it all off!   👴🏻 ( scissors please )

1 hour ago, Lee49 said:

very uncouth, untrimmed beard

That's going to happen now and then. Some people should not have beards or maybe wear them differently. We have a brother in his 30s do the bible study reading last night. My wife said he looks like he could be an Amish by his beard style. At the same time, with his thinning hair, to me he looked like an orthodox Jew wearing a kippah (yamaka). Not all brothers look good with a beard, but they have the right to try it. 

1 hour ago, Lee49 said:

neck hair growing on his sagging neck, sad to say, but yes, keep it neat or shave it all off! 

That's a little cruel to say that, even if it's true don't you think? Would you say that if he did not have the beard that you found unkempt? Would you say something about the mole on my face?  I have a scar on my chin that my beard now covers, so for some of us beards hide scars or other issues. 

We are not the beard police, nor should we put others flaws down. We have several brothers in our congregation who do not look well with their beards and it's not my place how they wear their beard, trim their beard or their personal appearance. 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

1 hour ago, DancesWithWife said:

That's a little cruel to say that, even if it's true don't you think?

Well, I wasn't the only one that said that ( some from the hall that were watching it ) and not to his face, if you're an elder and giving a talk especially on a close up on zoom you should be presentable don't you think, would it be "cruel" if the other elders had to councel him? We don't have rules but we do follow guidelines. 

We have a very good looking brother in our congregation that is growing the perfect beard. He was in Bethel for many years and was used for images of many Bible characters, including Jesus. He said it would take several hours to put the beard on and take it off when they used him then, it would be much easier now. :lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

6 hours ago, Tortuga said:

We have a very good looking brother in our congregation that is growing the perfect beard. He was in Bethel for many years and was used for images of many Bible characters, including Jesus. He said it would take several hours to put the beard on and take it off when they used him then, it would be much easier now. :lol1:

Ooohhh - WHICH Jesus???  There were a couple who were truly gorgeous!!  😍

8 minutes ago, Hope said:

Ooohhh - WHICH Jesus???  There were a couple who were truly gorgeous!!  😍

Show me your favorites and I'll tell you if he is there..:D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 minutes ago, pholmes38 said:

Are we expecting update number three this coming Friday (3 May)?

Update number 3, in 2023, came on 17 April

It would be nice this Friday. Next Monday is the monthly program for May and therefore quite unimaginable that we have two big programs in the same week, it's not in the tradition (but you never know). The following Friday would feel very late so let's count on this week.😊

3 minutes ago, Dolce vita said:

Next Monday is the monthly program for May and therefore quite unimaginable that we have two big programs in the same week, it's not in the tradition (but you never know).

It's not unknown - 2023 #1 for example - but I believe that usually if they're published within a few days of each other, it is the update that is published first, with the monthly broadcast a couple of days later....

11 minutes ago, Parale said:

Ce n'est pas inconnu - 2023 #1 par exemple - mais je crois que généralement s'ils sont publiés à quelques jours d'intervalle, c'est la mise à jour qui est publiée en premier, avec la diffusion mensuelle quelques jours plus tard....

14 minutes ago, Parale said:

Ce n'est pas inconnu - 2023 #1 par exemple - mais je crois que généralement s'ils sont publiés à quelques jours d'intervalle, c'est la mise à jour qui est publiée en premier, avec la diffusion mensuelle quelques jours plus tard....

Same week ? I didn't know, Paul. I have already observed an Update on Friday and Monday following the monthly program but never in the same week. I'm wrong then... Let's hope that on Friday we will have the Update and on Monday: monthly program.