JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

3 hours ago, Kwabena said:

Oh Come on now, totalitarianism?! 

Yes, it can happen at times.

Our congregation did go through that stage at one time with one elder basically controlling the entire congregation even though the other elders (and MS's) who couldn't stand up to him. In fact, most of them moved away and there was only other elder was not willing to move, but just did what he was told. Those were dark times indeed.

Edited by Pabo

3 hours ago, Pabo said:

Yes, it can happen at times.

Our congregation did go through that stage at one time with one elder basically controlling the entire congregation even though the other elders (and MS's) who couldn't stand up to him. In fact, most of them moved away and there was only other elder was not willing to move, but just did what he was told. Those were dark times indeed.

Wow! I thank God for my congregation then. 

For me it's all about attitude and spirit.

For example we had our branch visit last weekend. It was a "special meeting." So I wanted my appearance to match this special occasion. I wore one of my favorite suits with a tie and a jacket and I felt glad for myself!

But at the hall I found out that some of the brothers (brothers mostly) had the opposite thinking. One told me (I want to make clear that since the Update #2 I promised to myself that I would not make a remark about the way someone's dressed at the Kingdom Hall whatever I think about it cause this is not my place to do so, so I didn't in this case either) that, since it was not a usual meeting, it had to be THE meeting not to were a tie and jacket!

I was like "ok, if you say so," and move on. But then it occurred to me that they were justifying it for no reason.

And it made me reflect on the importance of attitude and spirit... 

34 minutes ago, Romain said:

For me it's all about attitude and spirit.

For example we had our branch visit last weekend. It was a "special meeting." So I wanted my appearance to match this special occasion. I wore one of my favorite suits with a tie and a jacket and I felt glad for myself!

But at the hall I found out that some of the brothers (brothers mostly) had the opposite thinking. One told me (I want to make clear that since the Update #2 I promised to myself that I would not make a remark about the way someone's dressed at the Kingdom Hall whatever I think about it cause this is not my place to do so, so I didn't in this case either) that, since it was not a usual meeting, it had to be THE meeting not to were a tie and jacket!

I was like "ok, if you say so," and move on. But then it occurred to me that they were justifying it for no reason.

And it made me reflect on the importance of attitude and spirit... 

There is more to, not wearing a tie, than simply, not wearing a tie.

16 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

An elder did the reading for our study last night on stage, didn't wear a tie !  A dress shirt unbuttoned at the top and a jacket.    🚫 👔

Was it a volunteer assignment, where he was covering for someone who didn't make it their assignment? 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

1 hour ago, Lee49 said:

An elder did the reading for our study last night on stage, didn't wear a tie !  A dress shirt unbuttoned at the top and a jacket.    🚫 👔

Recently, we had a elder meeting with all the elders using the hall (we have 4 congs in it).
It was ok not have a tie but still, a brother had an unbuttoned shirt... but it was not 1, but 2 buttons :D 
It was hilariously awful :D 
here is an AI version of the result

image.png.27f75d0030bb54fb17ca57d265dfea18.png

:D 

3 hours ago, careful said:

David, may I ask when you say this is an AI version, does that mean that this is a random face with a similar no tie situation?    We aren't putting photos online of an a actual brother who didn't wear a tie ...right?   I am not very tech savvy.  

This isn't a picture of the brother, I just asked an AI to show me a fat old guy with unbuttoned shirt :D 
Close enough :D 

I made one of our elders chuckle.  We had our elders and ministerial servants meeting with the circuit overseer.  I didn't quite know how to dress, so I wore a tie just in case.  I saw 2 elders and 3 MS coming out of their cars with no tie.  One elder looked at me as I was ripping my tie off and chuckled.  Only two brothers wore a tie to that meeting.  One was the CO.

On 4/19/2024 at 2:26 PM, Lee49 said:

What is the standard of dress in your land? (Let's not forget THAT clause in the letter from the GB).

45 minutes ago, truce said:

What is the standard of dress in your land? (Let's not forget THAT clause in the letter from the GB).

Look at his profile picture...:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

We have the Circuit Overseer this week. We asked him to review the update with us.  He said there was no newer information than what came in the update.  However, he is one of the responsible brothers for a Regional Convention and they had questions.  So they called the US Branch and talked to the Convention/Assembly department.

They asked if any of the Convention Attendants had to wear jackets or ties.  The answer was a simple NO.  Then they asked if those working on the platform/stage, like microphone adjusters needed to have jackets or ties.  The answer was a qualified NO.  An exception might be made by the Circuit Overseer or Convention Overseer on a personal basis.  They are in charge of the convention platform.

He said that locally, we all should know that the update said that you needed to wear the jacket & tie if you had a part on the program.  He asked us if we knew what having a part was.  It hasn't changed in many years.  Those with micellaneous duties on stage weren't participants in the program.  They were just fulfilling duties to make the program functional.  They would not be required to wear jacket or ties.

If sisters handled microphones, they could wear slacks or trousers.  Brothers who are attendants don't need jackets or ties.  He strongly cautioned us to avoid starting a process where we make "rules".  Follow the direction not our preferences or past views.

He himself (our CO) wore a suit and tie the whole week even in service.  He said it was his preference and he liked it.  He has a beard and his wife wore pants part of the time.

Did he say anything about conducting the meeting for service? should the brother conducting wear a tie and jacket?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Did he say anything about conducting the meeting for service? should the brother conducting wear a tie and jacket?

I don’t think so … tie in jacket seems to be required for more formal parts delivered to congregation during our meetings. Organising ministry is important but it does not fall under same category like Treasures, or Watchtower parts. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)