JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Yes. Yes/No. No.

Without making any rules, the brothers in our congregation agreed that we would wear a tie any time we conduct a meeting for service. If the conductor says the prayer, he will have a tie on. If he asks someone to say the prayer, that brother may be tie-less..

But… that’s a rule… that you’ve all made…

Just came back from touring the Australasia Branch in Sydney. When my friend came by to pick me up - I confirmed whether he had a jacket - he did not. Because of what the update said I asked him to please swing by his place to get his jacket - which he did.

He was a little confused though, as he’s from Sydney and he had toured the Branch previously some years ago, without a jacket.

We were invited to have lunch at the Branch but couldn’t make it in time due to the jacket detour.

When we got to the Branch our jacket less host told us that Australiasia Branch is exempt from the jacket rule due to the heat 🤣🤣🤣.

I had informed him we were running late after we picked up the jacket so he waited to let us know when we got there 🤣🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Amygdala said:

I also get the feeling certain cultures need expressed rules to avoid cultural stigmas if someone is not dressed as standard. Thus I see why differing BOE’s decisions. Actually as a help.

i like cultures around the world. I have gained some experience with other cultures. I lived in South Africa for 2.5 years. My wife - you can see her in my profile picture - is a native South African. -- About the cultures. Oh..Jehovah, our dear God and Creator for eternity. What wonderful, truly beautiful - externally but also internally - worshipers can be found there. Isn't that great, excellent, so exciting to feel, so wonderful to look at and experience, how we are all connected in love. so different, yet like-minded in love for one another and in love for Jehovah and the kingdom of heaven.

8 hours ago, DancesWithWife said:

A lot has been said about whether we should wear a tie or not. One glaring question is why? Why do we wear ties? What's there origin? From the article "Why Do We Wear Ties" it makes this opening statement:

"Throughout time ties have had connotations of power and status. As the pinnacle of professional and suave dress wear, they are a staple in any man's wardrobe. Why are sharp and ambitious men drawn to wearing ties, and when did this begin?" Another interesting statement was: 

"Over the ages, the cravat has evolved into the modern necktie we wear today. Since their origins in military regiments, they have been a symbol of power and respect. Throughout the 19th century, they swept through Britain. They were found in most universities, schools, sports clubs and gentlemen clubs. Ties were (and remain) a clear symbol of privilege and exclusivity."

I am not going to quote the entire article, it's not that long but it is interesting. - https://www.emmettlondon.com/en-us/blogs/news/why-do-we-wear-ties#:~:text=Since their origins in military,symbol of privilege and exclusivity.

Thanks for the Link! - Decision for me: Why do we need this “strangling rope” anyway? Away with it, away with it! But if our dear elders would like to see it on me - in April, May and even June - I can read from the Bible before the meeting, then I'll just wear a tie. I don't make a fuss about it, I just wear it. What's the problem, beloved brothers and sisters too?...pffftttt

3 hours ago, Leslie.m said:

Just came back from touring the Australasia Branch in Sydney. When my friend came by to pick me up - I confirmed whether he had a jacket - he did not. Because of what the update said I asked him to please swing by his place to get his jacket - which he did.

He was a little confused though, as he’s from Sydney and he had toured the Branch previously some years ago, without a jacket.

We were invited to have lunch at the Branch but couldn’t make it in time due to the jacket detour.

When we got to the Branch our jacket less host told us that Australiasia Branch is exempt from the jacket rule due to the heat 🤣🤣🤣.

I had informed him we were running late after we picked up the jacket so he waited to let us know when we got there 🤣🤣🤣

One thing you'll learn in Australia is the phrase:

She'll be right mate.

I NEVER knew wearing a necktie during field service meeting was such a thing until today. I've never even thought of it. I think I can count with one hand the number of times I've seen the conductor in my congregation wear a necktie in my whole life. 

Thanks for the Ghanaian update. 

Being a publisher in Ohio, USA for 38 years, it was always the standard. 

I'm in agreement with the FDS decision and it's aways wise to support Christ's brothers direction in Jehovah's work. 

Edited by AH173

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Just did the exhibition tour at the Finland Bethel. All the brothers I saw coming and going were wearing ties and clean-shaven (except my husband). I think I saw one brother without a tie, but he could have been a visitor. 😅

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

30 minutes ago, Araujo JW said:

I have a hunch that there will only be one traveler visit per year. If this ever happens, half of the circuits will cease to exist.

Less shepherding from the circuit overseer (governing body representative) ? 

With the problems of my local congregation - I would like more, not less. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

10 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Less shepherding from the circuit overseer (governing body representative) ? 

With the problems of my local congregation - I would like more, not less. 

One of the visits could be made by an experienced elder from the locality who would bear the costs of the visit himself. This way, visits would remain the same frequency, with less expense for the Society.

7 hours ago, Leslie.m said:

But… that’s a rule… that you’ve all made…

No rules, just unity among the body for the sake of the congregation.  

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

14 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

No rules, just unity among the body for the sake of the congregation.  

What happens if a brother doesn't go along with your rule? You'll counsel him even though the GB says what he did is ok?

I prefer unity in the whole organization, not just a local congregation...

Problem is sisters have to wear according to their figures. I'd wear this to work when  I was running a headstone business. Really easy to say what you'd wear if you've got a gorgeous even reasonable figure. I have less choice. For now, hehe

And the reason they look casual is the top and Hat set that setting. You have nice black heels a white shirt and black or dusky pink jacket it's a whole different story.

Sis, I wore almost these exact slacks to the meeting Tuesday night with a nice black blouse. I got many compliments. I agree with you. It’s all in how you style it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, blue-jay said:

What happens if a brother doesn't go along with your rule? You'll counsel him even though the GB says what he did is ok?

I prefer unity in the whole organization, not just a local congregation...

You misunderstand. There is no rule. The elders in the congregation agreed to wear ties when conducting any meeting for service. No one will be counselled for not doing what they have agreed to do for the sake of the congregation. 

It appears that some here are making rules about making rules, they are unknowingly undermining the BOE responsibility to maintain unity in the congregation. We can't forget that the elders have the responsibility to know the sheep within the congregation and do what is best for them. If the BOE decides they will wear ties when conducting any meeting for service, that is their decision and shouldn't be questioned or criticized. 

The brothers are not requiring anyone else to wear a tie out in service and the brother that conducts is free to remove his tie after the meeting for service. That is the arrangement we have currently decided on and may be adjusted in the future.

Unity does not mean uniformity. Congregations around the world meet at different times, different days, meetings for service are held at different times, yet we are a unified organization. The elders make many decisions affecting the congregation based on their knowledge of that congregation. 

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

19 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

The elders in the congregation agreed to wear ties when conducting any meeting for service.

So if a MS shows up for service or is scheduled to lead for service they are not required to wear a tie or jacket? If there are no elders or MS available to lead for service but a qualified brother is there he is not required to wear a tie and jacket?  

22 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

The elders make many decisions affecting the congregation based on their knowledge of that congregation. 

Agreed. If they do not know the flock, how can they make the best decisions? All this discussion, choices each congregation is making does not go unnoticed by Jehovah. I think of all the comments that have been made, not just hear do not go unnoticed by Jehovah. If changes need to be made, they will be made. 

I view these changes as interesting. Even challenging for some.  Is this part of accepting decisions or suggestions part of the things we may not fully understand? Yes. Wearing a tie, not wearing a tie is not important. Sisters wearing dresses, skirts or pants is not important. What is important is loyalty and humility. 

I may not agree with what the body of Elders in our area does 100%. Some of you know that I have made my frustration in that area in the private section of this forum. We all need to get things off our chest/mind that bother us from time to time. That does not mean I challenge everything the elders or even the CO does when he gives us direction. That being said, I feel it is okay to ask why from time to time. Such as why are we doing this? What is our short-term goals and benefits? What are the long-term goals? 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Unity does not mean uniformity. Congregations around the world meet at different times, different days, meetings for service are held at different times, yet we are a unified organization. The elders make many decisions affecting the congregation based on their knowledge of that congregation. 

But the GB left the meeting times, and so on, up to the local elders. 

When it comes to the attire situation, the GB decided, for all congregations, that it's OK to only wear ties and jacket when "having a part on the program".

Are you ok with their decision or are you saying "Welll, ok, but also when conducting field service meetings". Because locally you have a higher standard. 

In your congregation they only let elders conduct field service meetings? Is that another local rule/arrangement?

I was watching the following video again when considering this week’s Bible reading.

Brother Ciranko spoke about the new study course we share, the Enjoy Life Forever interactive publication. He shared an interesting illustration the brothers on the committee were shown when it came to trying to find a solution to helping interested ones become progressive vs. stagnant Bible students or who quit. We had, for years, been used to the standard question and answer format, but times have changed, people have changed, so what used to work before doesn’t work anymore.

It was the illustration of connecting the dots with just 4 lines. He showed how the mind normally thinks - we tend to put a box around and then finished. But instead of being trapped within those 4 walls, the illustration showed the need to think outside of the box. All the work showed evidence of the holy spirit backing this need for thinking outside of the box. 

It seems to me applicable when it comes to what is considered now acceptable standards of respectful appearance in the world today. What might have been viewed proper and acceptable standards of respectful appearance 50 or even 30 years ago, has seemed to change over the past few years. So it seems unsurprising to me that this latest change in dress and grooming reflects the times we are living in today.

IMG_1028.png

IMG_1029.png

IMG_1030.png

IMG_1031.png

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

You misunderstand. There is no rule. The elders in the congregation agreed to wear ties when conducting any meeting for service. No one will be counselled for not doing what they have agreed to do for the sake of the congregation. 

It appears that some here are making rules about making rules, they are unknowingly undermining the BOE responsibility to maintain unity in the congregation. We can't forget that the elders have the responsibility to know the sheep within the congregation and do what is best for them. If the BOE decides they will wear ties when conducting any meeting for service, that is their decision and shouldn't be questioned or criticized. 

The brothers are not requiring anyone else to wear a tie out in service and the brother that conducts is free to remove his tie after the meeting for service. That is the arrangement we have currently decided on and may be adjusted in the future.

Richard, I like you and respect you from this forum, particularly as you always come across as reasonable and level headed in your comments. If I was ever travelling in your area, I would have reached out to have a cuppa. So I’m going to move on from this part of the topic after asking this:

Swop out ties with white shirts in your comment above. How does that play to you? How would that make non-elders and non-appointed brothers feel? What would they be saying to their friends and family in other Congs?

None of us are disrespecting the Elders by respectfully asking these questions. We are in a new time - where the Governing Body is now sometimes speaking to everyone - with new direction. It’s not just coming through letters to the Cong like it used to. It’s an adjustment for all of us - and we are all subject to them.

24 minutes ago, Leslie.m said:

We are in a new time - where the Governing Body is now sometimes speaking to everyone - with new direction. It’s not just coming through letters to the Cong like it used to. It’s an adjustment for all of us - and we are all subject to them.

That's a good point. By announcing these things publicly and to everyone at the same time, it can make us more united as a worldwide brotherhood.