JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

One interesting albeit unintended side effect of having a different standard for stage dress could be the appearance of a clergy/laity distinction. Now, elders and servants who out of necessity have more stage parts will regularly be wearing suits and ties, contrasting with others in the audience.

One interesting albeit unintended side effect of having a different standard for stage dress could be the appearance of a clergy/laity distinction. Now, elders and servants who out of necessity have more stage parts will regularly be wearing suits and ties, contrasting with others in the audience.

Not with me I’m going to continue warring tie to the meetings or żupan in the new world

https://www.strojezpasja.pl/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/zupan-z-brokatu-7-of-9.jpg

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

8 hours ago, Joey said:

What?! I thought you were automatically an elder and pioneer when you move? I just moved to a new Hall, I think I am still a regular pioneer here.Should I ask about that?

Nancy, it's not automatic although it may feel so. :)

When you move, your old body of elders sends an introductory letter to your new body of elders. They briefly explain your good qualities and why you are appreciated in the congregation, as well as any aspects you may need some help with, if there are any.

They also mention different privileges and tasks you have taken care of, together with a recommendation. In most cases you are directly announced as a pioneer in the new congregation when they welcome you. Appointments of ministerial servants and elders usually take a bit longer until the next CO visit, since it's the CO who appoints them. In some occasions the old body of elders may feel the brother or sister no longer qualifies for that privilege and do not recommend them, as happened to sister Linda and her husband.

5 minutes ago, carlos said:

When you move, your old body of elders sends an introductory letter to your new body of elders. They briefly explain your good qualities and why you are appreciated in the congregation, as well as any aspects you may need some help with, if there are any.

Oh, can we see this letter?

On 3/20/2024 at 8:50 PM, Leslie.m said:

but I’m wondering why it isn’t better known / adopted worldwide?

Yes most of these things aren't adopted worldwide in JW's organization- might there be an update soon on not considering things (giving instructions) on a one size fits all basis?🥺

2 hours ago, Michał said:

Not with me emoji1.png I’m going to continue warring tie to the meetings or żupan in the new world

https://www.strojezpasja.pl/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/zupan-z-brokatu-7-of-9.jpg

That's incredibly classy. I love it

On 3/21/2024 at 1:05 AM, Leslie.m said:

What’s the feeling about going to the Memorial no jacket / tie / with slacks in your locations? Technically only the 4 or so brothers up on the platform need to be fully suited up, and I was the first to applaud the tie / jacket change for brothers, but it feels weird (for me) even thinking about attending the Memorial without a suit or jacket / tie.

"Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion". (2 Corinthians 9:7)

Commentary on this verse in the Study Bible: 

1. has resolved in his heart: In discussing the relief effort to help the needy Christians in Judea, Paul was confident that the Christians in Corinth desired to contribute to the effort. (2Co 8:4, 6, 10; 9:1, 2) Now the Corinthians needed to turn their willingness and zeal into action. (2Co 9:3-5) Paul did not want to pressure them, for a person can hardly be “a cheerful giver” when he or she is coerced. Paul trusted that they had already resolved to give. The Greek word rendered “resolved” in this verse means “to decide beforehand; to determine ahead of time.” So Paul points out that a genuine Christian gives after he has considered ahead of time the needs of fellow believers and how he can contribute toward filling those needs.

2. grudgingly: Or “reluctantly.” The Greek expression rendered “grudgingly” literally means “out of sadness (grief).”

3. under compulsion: The Greek expression for “under compulsion” means “from necessity” or “under pressure.” Giving cannot result in real happiness to the giver if it is forced, causing one to feel pressured to give. Thus, Paul indicates that in the early Christian congregation, making contributions was to be completely voluntary.—Compare De 15:10.

4. for God loves a cheerful giverGod is very pleased with a Christian who gives with the right motive to support true worship or to assist fellow believers. “A cheerful giver” is truly happy because he or she is able to give. Throughout history, God’s people have received joy from giving of themselves and their resources to support Jehovah’s worship.

"Now Jehovah is the Spirit, and where the spirit of Jehovah is, there is freedom." (2 Corinthians 3:17)

We can be assured, however, that bringing our thinking into harmony with Jehovah’s does not mean giving up all individual thought or expression. As stated at 2 Corinthians 3:17, “where the spirit of Jehovah is, there is freedom.” We are free to develop our own distinct personalities. We can have our personal preferences and choose our fields of interest. Like a good parent, Jehovah wants his children to have the most fulfilling life possible. (Isa. 48:17, 18) He therefore provides basic principles for moral conduct and for behavior toward others. In such matters he invites us to cultivate his very way of thinking and to share his values. Far from constraining us, this enhances, elevates, and expands our thinking ability. (Ps. 92:5; Prov. 2:1-5; Isa. 55:9) It helps us make choices that lead to happiness while still allowing us to blossom as individuals. (Ps. 1:2, 3) Yes, thinking like Jehovah is beneficial and desirable! (w18 November p. 19-20, paragraph 6-8, https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2018642)

In considering these thoughts, everyone must decide for themselves what attire to wear to meetings and occasions, whether it be Memorials or Congresses. This is a personal matter for each of us present, according to the guidelines made in 2024 Governing Body Update #2. 

God’s holy spirit also promotes true freedom by producing within Christians the qualities that are essential to freedom.—Ga 5:22, 23. (2 Corinthians 3:17, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (Study Edition))

Allow brothers and sisters to express their individuality and enjoy the joy of worshipping Jehovah! 

3 hours ago, Michał said:

Pas avec moi, emoji1.pngje vais continuer à faire la guerre aux réunions ou żupan dans le nouveau monde

https://www.strojezpasja.pl/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/zupan-z-brokatu-7-of- 9.jpg

Ooh la la, it’s beautiful, Michal. It looks like a costume worn by Michel Strogoff pursuing the Tartars in Siberia. 😍

4 hours ago, Joey said:

Oh, can we see this letter?

They are not typically shown to publishers. But if you ask one of the elders probably he will tell you what he remembers from it.

Introductory letters are usually very positive. The elders try hard to express all the good things about the publisher. If there is an aspect the publisher needs help with, it's loving to mention it too, so that the need can be covered.

On 3/20/2024 at 4:05 PM, Leslie.m said:

What’s the feeling about going to the Memorial no jacket / tie / with slacks in your locations?

If I did not have a part on the program I would not wear a jacket or tie. Why? The Memorial is often when those who do not attend or have never been to a meeting before. I would therefore dress nicely just no tie or jacket to help those attending feel more comfortable.

And again it comes down to the custom in your area. The most important thing is what Jesus stated "Keep doing this in remembrance of me"- 1 Corinthians 11:24.  I am having health problems that will not allow me to attend the memorial in person. How will I dress? I will be wearing nice pants and a nice shirt. No jacket or tie. 

Yes, the Memorial is a special occasion. It's a dignified occasion. But, I will be blunt. I have seen it turn into a fashion show. Some in the past have not shown modesty in their dress. That being said, the majority keep it modest and dignified.

I was thinking of my first Bible reading at the Kingdom Hall almost 60 years ago. My parents did not have the money for a full suit. I gave my Bible reading in a simple dress shirt, tie and slacks. Was Jehovah disappointed with my clothing. Or did he value the reading? 

Value your Memorial in your area. Think deeply about the events that surrounded that night. 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

12 hours ago, JonE said:

the appearance of a clergy/laity distinction.

That would be an undesireable effect.

More disturbing would be if appointed men chose to dress casually as a way of avoiding responsibility. It would be good for them to at least maintain the option of dressing appropriately in case of missing assignees.

Edited by Eejay

13 hours ago, JonE said:

I don't think so. Especially if it's explained that platform work is more representative of Jehovah’s Organization and should be more formal. It's not unusual for people who are representing their company or employer to dress more formally than they would if they were just in the audience, right?

It's not like those on the platform are wearing particular uniforms or special garb. Simply more formal dress.  I don't think it will be a big deal.

3 hours ago, Eejay said:

if appointed men chose to dress casually as a way of avoiding responsibility

None of the changes are intended to encourage or result in casual dress; the announcement specifically said that the choices available to everyone should not be casual, but dignified.

Also, it's easy enough to keep a couple of ties and jackets in the kingdom hall, just like a lot of halls keep scarves or hats on hand in case sisters need them. 

3 hours ago, Eejay said:

appointed men chose to dress casually as a way of avoiding responsibility

If someone reached out and became an appointed man, then he already has the mindset and attitude to embrace hard work for the congregation.  Appointed men are doing so much behind the scenes that avoiding responsibility is not even a thought.   At least among the appointed men I know.

If all the elders started wearing matching suits and ties while all the others wore no tie or jacket, yes, that might look like a clergy/laity ... but, somehow, I don't think that is going to happen :nope: 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I can't remember which picture it was, but when we came across a picture of a congregation scene I asked my Bible student if she could figure out which of the men were the elders. After giving it a good scan for a minute she couldn't come up with anything.

"Exactly, because they don't dress any differently".

The elders still won't be able to be identified by how they are dressed - since any brother, appointed or not, who is giving a part on the platform will be wearing a coat and tie ... and any brother who isn't on the platform may not have a tie/coat on, including elders.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

The elders still won't be able to be identified by how they are dressed - since any brother, appointed or not, who is giving a part on the platform will be wearing a coat and tie ... and any brother who isn't on the platform may not have a tie/coat on, including elders.

There’s a difference between having a talk every so many weeks or months, and having to be in uniform much more regularly for other parts on the meeting.