JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

19 hours ago, Pabo said:

So, it begs the question, do meetings such as the field service group or perhaps, meetings for elders, service committees, hall committees etc require the need for jacket and ties? Would there be any adjusted guidelines for these types of meetings?

The Update said that any platform assignments should be formally dressed. That's very clear and plain to me.  In our congregation, neither the service groups, elders meetings, nor committees, et. al. are conducted from the platform.  Even when the CO is having the field service meetings, he's on the floor - not the platform.

I don't see what the difficulty is.  :shrugs:

5 minutes ago, Qapla said:

At least no one is hemmed in

However, I have always copped a few belting's for not tucking my shirt in and straightening my tie when I was young (which was primarily the reason why my shirt and tie was always unkept, from these beltings - a vicious cycle I always had to endure).

Warning GIF by Back Row Radio

12 hours ago, carlos said:

If someone calls Bethel the brothers won't give any explanation. They will only tell us to watch the update again, apply Bible principles and follow the instructions by the elders. Every body of elders knows what is the feeling of the local congregation.

Idk. It feels like the white shirt situation to me...

The body of elder in our congregation met 4 days after report no. 2. the only thing we discussed was the part that had to do with the disfellowshipped person. We did not discuss anything to do with clothing, as there was no mention of this in the guidelines. We will have our circuit convention at the end of April and co visits in May.

If we haven't received a letter by then, we can ask. Was this a test of what is being done in the different body of elders? 🤔

39 minutes ago, Keep Fighting said:

The body of elder in our congregation met 4 days after report no. 2. the only thing we discussed was the part that had to do with the disfellowshipped person. We did not discuss anything to do with clothing, as there was no mention of this in the guidelines. We will have our circuit convention at the end of April and co visits in May.

If we haven't received a letter by then, we can ask. Was this a test of what is being done in the different body of elders? 🤔

A pattern may develop. 

On 3/25/2024 at 7:43 AM, carlos said:

I don't think it's complicated or distracting. The elders are in charge of the congregation. If they give instructions, follow the instructions. If they don't, do as you feel is better.

I have to correct you.... Family heads and Single ones report directly to Jesus. The Body of Elders reports to the Governing Body. Jesus is head of the Congregation and everyone should be willing to submit to those taking the lead. Including Elders.

16 hours ago, Leslie.m said:

What local bodies are doing is in effect saying: The GB doesn’t know best / didn’t think this through completely.

Leslie, I don't think that comment is fair.

You understand that "a part in the program" means only having a part on the platform. But others understand the Governing Body includes in that expression the brothers assigned to scene, audio/video, mics... They don't think they know better than the GB, they think they are applying the instructions from the GB. Maybe you are right, but maybe they are right. Maybe we will get further clarifications, or maybe not.

3 hours ago, jlocke said:

I have to correct you.... Family heads and Single ones report directly to Jesus. The Body of Elders reports to the Governing Body. Jesus is head of the Congregation and everyone should be willing to submit to those taking the lead. Including Elders.

I'm happy to be corrected, John, and everything you say here is right. But those elders are also trying to follow the instructions, even if some understand some details differently than others. :)

As an individual, you report directly to Jesus, so you can dress as you wish. You can go to the KH without a tie, or in jeans, or in pajamas. If the elders consider your attire is not appropriate for certain responsibilities, you won't have those responsibilities, but of course you will be able to attend the meetings anyway.

1 hour ago, carlos said:

Leslie, I don't think that comment is fair.

You understand that "a part in the program" means only having a part on the platform. But others understand the Governing Body includes in that expression the brothers assigned to scene, audio/video, mics... They don't think they know better than the GB, they think they are applying the instructions from the GB. Maybe you are right, but maybe they are right. Maybe we will get further clarifications, or maybe not.

Hi @carlos, I get where you're coming from, but "part on the program" has been a standard term amongst Witnesses globally, as evidenced by this quick search in WT Library:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/s/r1/lp-e?q="part+on+the+program"&p=par&r=occ&st=a

If you had told someone you had a part on the program at an Assembly for example, not a single Witness would think you were an attendant or doing A/V.

Edited by Leslie.m

Our BOE had a meeting on the GB Update and discussed the part on disfellowshipping, as directed, but didn't talk about the dressing part and let the brothers decide from their understanding of the update. However, other BOE's discussed about what is allowed and what's not and have gone ahead and made some rules on the matter. Some of it may seem "out of place" according to the update.

I have been there and sometimes the BOE may make decisions based on their understanding of the update, how things have transpired in the past regarding dressing and grooming, and what the local CO's say about the matter. Each elder and BOE feels the weight of their assignment and makes decisions to ensure they are following the directions of the GB.

I understood this weight when I became an elder and have been doing this faithfully for the past 10 years, and its a blessing when the congregation supports us, even when our decisions weren't right. In fact, we laugh out about it with our friends later on when more clarifications come.

Whatever the decision, Jehovah expects us to loyally conform to the decisions of the BOE, and if necessary, Jehovah will correct matters in his own time.  I guess let's give a break to our elders, this year is not going to be easy for them.:)

40 minutes ago, Leslie.m said:

Hi @carlos, I get where you're coming from, but "part on the program" has been a standard term amongst Witnesses globally, as evidenced by this quick search in WT Library:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/s/r1/lp-e?q="part+on+the+program"&p=par&r=occ&st=a

If you had told someone you had a part on the program at an Assembly for example, not a single Witness would think you were an attendant or doing A/V.

I think where things may go astray in the translation of what may term as "has a part on the program(or meeting)" and that of "having an assignment on the program (or meeting)".

Some may think part/assignments and program/meeting can be that of delivering their talk/demo from the stage and that of carrying microphones, attendant etc. Part or assignment, can and often be used interchangeably, as you may be "assigned" a "part" for a "meeting" (or "program"). However, the terminology for "program" and that of "meeting" really are two different things, as a "meeting" is for all who attend together as a whole, whereas "program" is only a select few that are involved who are on the stage. That is where some are having an issue, "how big is that stage"?

Yes, we all know that the answer is really simple, but some just cannot tell the difference between certain words and terminology. There are ones who want things written down as black and white, whereas others can grasp the principle and do what they understand of what has been said.

It is just sad and funny at the same time when some go beyond the things that have been written.

On the USA English jw stream of the midweek meeting, the stage brother wore no tie but suit with jacket and dress shirt. 👍

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

The midweek meeting that just came out after the memorial. The brother has a maroon suit on 

I believe they have a normal Tuesday meeting. 

March 25-31.

At 5:00 min mark 

14:15 and 14:40 marks for example 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

17 minutes ago, AH173 said:

The midweek meeting that just came out after the memorial. The brother has a maroon suit on 

I believe they have a normal Tuesday meeting. 

March 25-31.

At 5:00 min mark 

14:15 and 14:40 marks for example 

Ho, you mean the stage mic brother :D I was wondering about the brother speaking on stage. I was worried :D