JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

1 minute ago, Dages said:

Ho, you mean the stage mic brother :D I was wondering about the brother speaking on stage. I was worried :D 

No worries, be happy 😎

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

48 minutes ago, AH173 said:

On the USA English jw stream of the midweek meeting, the stage brother wore no tie but suit with jacket and dress shirt. 👍

I have been checking that too. :D

It's just a matter of time before everyone gets on the same page.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

It's just a matter of time before everyone gets on the same page.

And just like a page with many different words. If put together correctly words form sentences, sentences form paragraphs. I am glad to see the variety. Hopefully no more getting mustard on some of my ties! 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

Our congregation also is struggling on what constitutes a part on the program. It seems obvious to me what is meant by the program. We do not go to meeting to watch the microphone holders. We do not go to meeting to watch the AV brothers. We go to the meeting to watch the program (on the stage).

However, that said, our congregation has wonderful brothers and I don't want to look at them as if they're going beyond what is written. We're all imperfect, and I am sure that they are just being cautious about the changes until they hear different. 

So what are you doing for meetings for field service? Is the brother conducting the meeting for field service required to wear a tie or not? Is the brothers representing the group or congregation in prayer required to wear a tie and/or a jacket?

Is it dependant on whether the meeting for field service takes place in someone's home or at the Kingdom Hall?

1 minute ago, Adam! said:

So what are you doing for meetings for field service? Is the brother conducting the meeting for field service required to wear a tie or not? Is the brothers representing the group or congregation in prayer required to wear a tie and/or a jacket?

Is it dependant on whether the meeting for field service takes place in someone's home or at the Kingdom Hall?

If you and your wife have family worship evening and you say a prayer, do you put on a jacket and tie to say the prayer?

If you are in service and need God's help, do you hold off on saying a praer because you don't have a tie on?

The list goes on.  In noe of those cases were you on the platform or stage.

2 minutes ago, jwhess said:

If you and your wife have family worship evening and you say a prayer, do you put on a jacket and tie to say the prayer?

If you are in service and need God's help, do you hold off on saying a praer because you don't have a tie on?

My brother, John

The situations that you refer to above are for a private situation.

I was referring to situations where a brother is required to represent the congregation at a meeting for field service.

1 minute ago, Adam! said:

My brother, John

I was referring to situations where a brother is required to represent the congregation at a meeting for field service.

The GB says, "parts on the program". On stage.

If meetings for service were included, it would have been mentioned. 

It's not there.

2 minutes ago, Adam! said:

represent the congregation at a meeting for field service.

Our Circuit Overseer conducted the meeting for service with a cardigan sweater, nice shirt and tie. He did that for the whole week including the meeting with the pioneers.

Here in Brazil we don't have this problem. In any part of the country it has never been customary to wear a tie on field service. So, in any situation, the brother leading the exit may be on top of the stage or below, if he is leading the exit meeting he will not be wearing a tie.

51 minutes ago, Adam! said:

My brother, John

You have to understand that in my congregation there are 6 FSG.  Five of these are in private homes.  We have no stage or any other formal setting.  The one group at the Kingdom Hall does not meet in the front and they do not use the stage, sound or anything but the lights in the room.

Prior to this announcement, we went in service with ties (sisters wore skirts) but more than half of the brothers wore weather related outerwear.  Often this took the form of a coat like a "bomber jacket". and they wore a tie.  So simply remove the tie and we have the same thing (cardigan sweater or weatherproof coat).

Edited by jwhess

55 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Yes everytime. Especially my red tie. lol jk

41 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

over it dead horse GIF

I get it @Tortuga Everyone keeps beating a dead horse sort-of-speak! I understand both sides of the issue tho. People just don’t want to misinterpret or misunderstand what the Faithful Slave meant by “wearing a necktie 👔 and not wearing a necktie”. You all are forgetting they said to “wear one or don’t”, you have a choice. You committed no sin if you do or don’t, and if you do either or the other you shouldn’t be judged or pulled aside and chastised. If you do decide not to wear a necktie I will be checking out your chest to see if you are a hairy guy or not 💅🏽😙 You’ve entered the “judgment free zone” with me.

7 hours ago, Adam! said:

My two cents:

Does it seem likely that the GB made a rule that says you don't need to wear a tie in the field ministry...except if you lead the group going out in the ministry ...but, only if the group meets at the KH...unless the sound system isn't utilized?

That would be a Pharisaic-style law that lacks all reason. Killing a fly is not hunting, and leading the FS group is not a "part on the program".

7 hours ago, Adam! said:

Yes. Yes/No. No.

Without making any rules, the brothers in our congregation agreed that we would wear a tie any time we conduct a meeting for service. If the conductor says the prayer, he will have a tie on. If he asks someone to say the prayer, that brother may be tie-less..

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

A lot has been said about whether we should wear a tie or not. One glaring question is why? Why do we wear ties? What's there origin? From the article "Why Do We Wear Ties" it makes this opening statement:

"Throughout time ties have had connotations of power and status. As the pinnacle of professional and suave dress wear, they are a staple in any man's wardrobe. Why are sharp and ambitious men drawn to wearing ties, and when did this begin?" Another interesting statement was: 

"Over the ages, the cravat has evolved into the modern necktie we wear today. Since their origins in military regiments, they have been a symbol of power and respect. Throughout the 19th century, they swept through Britain. They were found in most universities, schools, sports clubs and gentlemen clubs. Ties were (and remain) a clear symbol of privilege and exclusivity."

I am not going to quote the entire article, it's not that long but it is interesting. - https://www.emmettlondon.com/en-us/blogs/news/why-do-we-wear-ties#:~:text=Since their origins in military,symbol of privilege and exclusivity.

13 hours ago, Patience87 said:

However, that said, our congregation has wonderful brothers and I don't want to look at them as if they're going beyond what is written. We're all imperfect, and I am sure that they are just being cautious about the changes until they hear different. 

I also get the feeling certain cultures need expressed rules to avoid cultural stigmas if someone is not dressed as standard. Thus I see why differing BOE’s decisions. Actually as a help.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Yes. Yes/No. No.

Without making any rules, the brothers in our congregation agreed that we would wear a tie any time we conduct a meeting for service. If the conductor says the prayer, he will have a tie on. If he asks someone to say the prayer, that brother may be tie-less..

I NEVER knew wearing a necktie during field service meeting was such a thing until today. I've never even thought of it. I think I can count with one hand the number of times I've seen the conductor in my congregation wear a necktie in my whole life.