JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

3 hours ago, Parale said:

FWIW I believe in Britain the traditional 'upper-class' etiquette is that boys would wear shorts all the time - including for formal occasions -  until they turned eight. They would only actually wear long trousers after they had turned eight-years-old.

Being British by birth, it’s probably where I get it from. 😂

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

On 3/17/2024 at 4:54 PM, Robinson said:

Awww. I see. They look like they don't know what's happening. There's a brother with a list (perhaps check-in?)

First trip on a sail boat leaves many looking confused.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

On 3/17/2024 at 8:29 PM, Pabo said:

At times, especially for the MWM as it is in the evening, we have had no coat nights because of the heat in December/January, and we do have air conditioning. The wall behind the stage faces to the WNW, and it heats up and retains its heat being built with concrete Besser blocks, which then is filled with concrete as well. We have had times no jackets on a Sunday morning meeting, especially when it has been a heatwave and the overnight temperatures haven't cooled down enough and it is very warm inside the KH in the morning.

So for our congregation, if it is has been a hot day, or that it is very humid within our KH, wearing a jacket can be optional, if the brother feels that it would be too uncomfortable for him to wear. Usually they would ask the body of elders if they can be excused for not wearing that jacket due to the conditions, and generally it would be announced that jackets can be optional if brothers feel that they would be more comfortable in doing their parts or duties. As for wearing jackets in the KH otherwise, unless you are on the platform or doing roving mics, generally most brothers don't wear their jackets at all, unless it is cold in the Kingdom Hall where they may wear their jackets.

I usually turn the air conditioners on at the Kingdom Hall about an hour and a half before the MWM starts on my way home from work each week (as the KH is only a few streets away from my work). If the day has been very sunny and hot and where the temperature is above 35C degrees, I can only turn 2 of the 3 air conditioner units on full blast, or have all 3 units running at a lower setting, otherwise we will trip the KH main circuit breaker (not the AC circuit breakers). The KH main circuit breaker is located inside the meter box, which is located on the pole that sits out in the open to the sun, and the heat during the day and also from the box itself affects the trip out setting.

Prineville Oregon, 1957. 100 degrees F., no air conditioning. We wore short sleeve shirts and string ties on the platform and out in the field.

In cowboy country common sense prevailed. CO never complained.

Cowboy country, common sense prevailed.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Yep.
I love it here. If this is the Regional Convention standard, I cannot wait to see a Midweek Meeting!cdf466282093980fbbab0cffd3078245.jpg

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

We have a Brother here who is married to a Fijian sister, he LOVES LOVES LOVES his Fijian shirts, even wearing one to his daughter's engagement even though it was snowing! This would be his dream! I'm going to  send this to him!

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

On 7/18/2024 at 8:48 AM, Parale said:

FWIW I believe in Britain the traditional 'upper-class' etiquette is that boys would wear shorts all the time - including for formal occasions -  until they turned eight. They would only actually wear long trousers after they had turned eight-years-old.

Oh, to be 7 again. 🙄

Since I’m not from England - and know that shorta wouldn't fly in the US

Showed the picture to 2 Brothers from England —- 30ish and 50ish(while at LDC this week)

both said that was not allowed in their halls in England and never had been

1 is from southern coast other central 

both said he would not have been allowed to give the part dressed that casually

they asked if I was sure he wasn’t just practicing…..lol….. same things you guys asked

we have had to ask a few NOT to give their school part when dressed too casually - especially since we have written direction

— in US

dont think I have seen anything about shorts - since they stopped us wearing them @ construction sites here in Florida around 2006 - seems like we were the last to be accommodating to the extreme weather—- we were told we needed to align with the rest of the US and wear long pants …. We were obedient … maybe a bit of grumbling

🥵🥵🥵

On 7/22/2024 at 1:04 AM, DarinS said:

Showed the picture to 2 Brothers from England —- 30ish and 50ish(while at LDC this week)

both said that was not allowed in their halls in England and never had been

Darin, if you are referring to the picture of the young boy reading the Bible, that was in Ukraine. It's probable that the dressing standard there is different than in Western lands. Not to mention that it wouldn't be surprising if rules are relaxed a bit in a country at war.

On 7/23/2024 at 4:39 AM, carlos said:

Darin, if you are referring to the picture of the young boy reading the Bible, that was in Ukraine. It's probable that the dressing standard there is different than in Western lands. Not to mention that it wouldn't be surprising if rules are relaxed a bit in a country at war.

It could have been his school uniform…and maybe the sneakers were the nicest shoes he had. 

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

• trottigy unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

There was a letter from the Polish branch about 2 (3?) months ago detailing appropriate clothing.

It contained 2 points.

First, attendants should have the same attire as brothers who have parts during program. Other brothers who help with the meeting shouldn’t feel obliged to have the same standard of clothing. No additional rules are necessary.

Second, in special circumstances during summer based on temperature and weather conditions elders present during the meeting can decide to alter requirements for brothers having parts as well as for attendants. They can decide that jackets aren’t necessary and in extreme cases neither ties.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

50 minutes ago, Michał said:

Second, in special circumstances during summer based on temperature and weather conditions elders present during the meeting can decide to alter requirements for brothers having parts as well as for attendants. They can decide that jackets aren’t necessary and in extreme cases neither ties.

I guess brother Splane is an example of this as he released the NWT in Sri Lanka.

702024173_univ_lsr_lg.jpg

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

The same here in the DR. Last weekend was the Santo Domingo 2024 Special Convention, and it was a surprise for all to see the brothers giving talks with chacabanas, as the instructions here were as brother @Michał stated in his previous post.

But in Saturday came a letter with new instructions for the standard of dress here in the DR branch territory. Then we understood why brothers Feegle, Smith and others wore chacabanas, which are a formal attire here in the Caribbean.

Brothers may decide whether or not to wear a coat, jacket, or tie when participating in the ministry, attending meetings, and regional conventions and circuit assemblies and when participating in the program. Brothers can also decide whether to wear a formal chacabana (or guayabera) that is appropriate, modest, and dignified. These guidelines also apply to those who are passing microphones, are in charge of the stage, those who handle audio/video or who are serving as attendants, and those who conduct field service meetings. Sisters who participate in the program can also choose to wear a skirt or dress, or dress pants if they wish. When visiting Bethel, it would be appropriate for brothers to wear a coat, or jacket, and tie, and for sisters to wear skirts or dresses.

2024-09-08_JSmith.thumb.jpg.5be6f2ed5c625945d286068a71905b18.jpg

What I take from these new instructions is: no more a standard for having a part and a different standard to attend. It's just one standard: dress up as you want but in a dignified way to attend the meeting. If at the meeting you are asked to go to the platform and you decline because of your attire, then you may consider a change in your wardrove.

Edited by Ysaias

On 9/12/2024 at 8:13 PM, minister159 said:

I guess brother Splane is an example of this as he released the NWT in Sri Lanka.

702024173_univ_lsr_lg.jpg

We must remember Sri Lanka has a hot climate. (Example: Tomorrow's high temperature is 31°C-88°F.) Look at the brothers in this brochure for the Sri Lanka branch office; I don't see so much as one brother with a jacket. That may simply be a reflection of the custom of the country considering the temperature. (I stand to be corrected if necessary.)

What's an extreme case?

Extremely hot, sultry and sweltering, that’s what I understand.

During July and August out of 30-40 brothers only 1-3 wore a jacket (including me because I like to be rebellious from time to time ). Brothers put on ties before having part and took them off right after stepping off the platform while still going to their seats. Our hall not only doesn’t have AC but no ventilation as well - there is a refurbishing scheduled for September.

In Poland AC is not really common (unfortunately). Hardly any house has it, neither schools nor government offices. You could find it in shopping malls and offices built in the last 10-20 years. During summer the average temperature is 26 C (80 F) but it can be much higher:
5dde3ff6e570b996f582dbd776ce6ddb.jpg
As a side note, average temperatures rose by 3-5 degrees Celsius during the last three decades.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

4 minutes ago, Dark King said:

Can someone tell me why we don't Wear hats at the meetings? Brothers or sisters?

I have seen hats at the meetings. Brothers and sisters.. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:
8 minutes ago, Dark King said:

Can someone tell me why we don't Wear hats at the meetings? Brothers or sisters?

I have seen hats at the meetings. Brothers and sisters.. 

I asked because last week I was visiting another congregation and one the Brothers pulled me in the back and told me baptized brothers do not wear hats in the meeting. And that I had to take my hat off. 

I have never heard of this before.🥺

18 minutes ago, Dark King said:

Perguntei porque semana passada eu estava visitando outra congregação e um dos irmãos me puxou para trás e me disse que irmãos batizados não usam chapéus na reunião. E que eu tinha que tirar meu chapéu. 

Nunca tinha ouvido falar disso antes. 🥺

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=1102021692&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=86

19 minutes ago, Dark King said:

I asked because last week I was visiting another congregation and one the Brothers pulled me in the back and told me baptized brothers do not wear hats in the meeting. And that I had to take my hat off. 

I have never heard of this before.🥺

Did he offer you a white shirt too?...