JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Microsoft IT Outage!

Interesting times….

IT outages are reported across the world, affecting airlines, media, and banks

Many flights have been grounded, with queues and delays at airports

The cause is not known - but Microsoft says it's taking mitigation action.

Guess the weekend can start early for some 😉 

#keepsafe everyone 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-07-19/global-it-outage-crowdstrike-microsoft-banks-airlines-australia/104119960?utm_source=abc_news_app&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_campaign=abc_news_app&utm_content=safari

Happening globally.  Here is how it’s affecting us in Oz.

“A massive IT systems outage caused by issues with Microsoft and CrowdStrike software has brought governments and corporations to a standstill around the world.

Airport check-in systems across the globe have been disrupted, while banks, supermarkets and media companies are among the other businesses reporting the "blue screen of death" and network outages.“

Here in German airline Lufthansa are the latest airlines to report disruption.
Lufthansa says that, at the moment, the company's booking retrieval may be limited, but a solution is being worked on.

Prague Airport has also been affected by the check-in system outage and says some departures from the Czech capital are delayed.
German airline Eurowings is also reporting that its online check-in is currently not working.

Switzerland's largest airport in Zurich also says planes are not allowed to land. 😟

A little update. 

The WHQ and US branch office is aware of the current global outage relating to broken software update caused by CrowdStrike.

Fortunately, the entire organization so far remain unaffected.

Edited by gusdn1

"For now I would be lying down undisturbed; I would be sleeping and at rest."  Job 3:13

I had to re-read that article ... or part of it anyway. The 4th paragraph threw me a bit because I read, "chipmunks from both sides of the aisle ..." and couldn't figure out what those cute, little tree rats had to do with the outage - unless it was because they chewed through some wires :shrugs:

Of course, that was not actually what it said 

sad season 4 GIF by Outlander

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

This is a plus for those who are fighting against the Australian cashless society push. 

Some Coles were accepting only cash payments and I'm sure there were others doing the same. 

Only businesses use cheques in Australia. Cheques were phased out for the man on the street many years ago, so no physically going to the bank to cash a cheque here. 

The powers that be need to learn a lesson from this situation. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

14 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

This is a plus for those who are fighting against the Australian cashless society push. 

Some Coles were accepting only cash payments and I'm sure there were others doing the same. 

Only businesses use cheques in Australia. Cheques were phased out for the man on the street many years ago, so no physically going to the bank to cash a cheque here. 

The powers that be need to learn a lesson from this situation. 

I still use cheques on both of my accounts with two different building societies! And I don't have a business account with them either.

Also, I always carry and use cash, but I only do internet purchases and that with only one of the building societies, and there is usually minimal funds in this account. 

Edited by Pabo

4 hours ago, Pabo said:

I still use cheques on both of my accounts with two different building societies! And I don't have a business account with them either.

Also, I always carry and use cash, but I only do internet purchases and that with only one of the building societies, and there is usually minimal funds in this account. 

Maybe it's just the big banks that stopped issuing cheque books then. I still have a 'cheque account' but no cheque book to go with it. It's now just an account in my online banking. I probably wouldn't use it if I had it, though, I pay all my bills online these days. 

I also use cash and keep some on hand. It's useful stuff to have around and I like to use it. The 'cashless society' bods need to understand that it's an important commodity. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

While I have used cash in the past and still use some at times, I have never had or used cheques ... Now, I have used, written and still get paid with checks.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I don't understand how it is possible that our non-smart Phillips TV went back to factory settings by itself! It is connected to an over the air antenna that is on the wall nearby. There is no cable or wifi in our home. After the CrowdStrike issue, when we tried to watch TV there was no signal..so we re-scanned, and still nothing..so we went to TV settings and instead of antenna it was set for cable..and so we changed the setting to antenna and re-scanned and the TV worked again. Any idea how this could happen? 

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

There were problems with tv broadcasts in some places, so does this also mean transmission was interrupted causing the tv to reset to cable by default? The internet, per se, was not comromised. Just those computers using Microsoft for applications that included CrowdStrike updates.

48 minutes ago, gusdn1 said:

Is this the time to purchase some stocks? 🤔 

That is a personal choice, but the stock did drop dramatically, and some people may consider it to be a good time to buy some.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2024 at 5:15 PM, Tortuga said:

BTW: Crowdstrike stock is selling cheap...:whistling:

My financial advisor bought some CrowdStrike stock at $260, it might have been a little premature, but the stock is starting to recover, I might make some money on it.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

21 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

My financial advisor bought some CrowdStrike stock at $260, it might have been a little premature, but the stock is starting to recover, I might make some money on it.

Time for a new advisor!  👀

He's buying into the top of a dead-cat bounce.  He may have an opportunity to make about 9% on it, if it plays out like previous patterns.  And he actually sells on time.  But it's probably going to move like this:

image.thumb.png.658ec91836a5639eae534f3cf026303e.png

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/crowdstrike-crwd-plunges-34-month-123100260.html

image.thumb.png.e06ba594dc34377f4b4f028aec62c9c7.png

45 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Time for a new advisor! 

No, he and his team are very conservative so I'm sure he plans to hold it.