JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

At least 27 dead including children in Connecticut school shooting

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4138 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Looking at the Huffington Post report and what the newspapers discuss here - I think the aspberger's /autism spectrum could be a factor along with other circumstances. I know someone who is an out of control screamer who lashes out when they get frustrated and it can be disturbing in public - people have accused the poor mother of beating the youngster when nothing of the sort has happened. She tends to tell them to visit the Autism website before judging her. Although any violence tends more to be towards themselves when they get frustrated - so long as your not in the way at the time. I have known folk with mental health problems go for their carers with knives and run rampage around the home and be a danger to themselves and others when they get frustrated. It is a sad worry in this System as to what to do when a disturbed youngster gets older and stronger.

There were further factors to add to this young man's problems. Autistic syndrome folk that we know are sticklers for rules and order and routine and this lads life was upside down for him and he clearly couldn't cope and neither could his mother. Factors to upset him - family breakup and his mother's Doomsday/Survivalist hoarding of canned goods and weapons and perhaps thinking/talking about scenarios in case of an 'us against them come Doomsday' situation. Coupled with the fact she let her son play video games - often recommended for autistic children - but what video games was he playing!? Autistic folk I know very often cannot discern between what is literal and what is not.He could be de-sensitised with his vulnerable mind to what targets are real and not - that's why armies use video games in training soldiers. Whether Satan uses the vulnerability of such ones or whether they are just unable to discern their actions and pain they inflict on others is difficult for other mere humans to discern, so I don't judge.

Thank goodness Jehovah can undo damage done whatever happens, but in the meantime all the little ones and their teachers will be missed by so many others it's so sad. I wept with the President when he spoke on TV about the losses. It reminded me of the great sadness here when a taxi driver went on the rampage and shot 25, including children and 12 people died. The worst was the pack of International paparazzi and their satellite vans constantly in your face asking silly questions and not letting us move on with grief or life for a month. Our congregation market stall did good work talking to folk and giving out God Cares brochures and When a loved one dies literature at that time and our 'God Tent' (the stall is under a gazebo) as it's referred to, is well known now.

After seeing some of the mother's friends interviewed this morning, they said she was not a "survivalist" and that she got the guns out of the divorce - but that they would go out to the shooting range before. Also, they are saying he shot the mother 4 times in the head while she was in bed. So it does not look like they were having a confontation when he killed her, looks like he went and got the guns out early and killed her before she got out of the bed that morning. Sounds pre-meditated. They said they have evidence that does shed light on his thinking - probably from the computer or something he wrote. It is just not understandable why he went and killed all those little kids - was it jealousy? His mother being a kindergarden teacher spending time with the little ones at school?

Apparently the mother was Not a teacher at all-only connection with school was that the lad had attended there years ago. The mother home schooled him. So much misinformation out there. Like the police said. You will have to wait for truth to come out.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Apparently the mother was Not a teacher at all-only connection with school was that the lad had attended there years ago. The mother home schooled him. So much misinformation out there. Like the police said. You will have to wait for truth to come out.

I agree Peter! It really shows how unreliable the news reports can be at first and sometimes for days afterward. I was watching this story as it developed and there were reports saying it was his mother's kindergarten class and that he killed her in the classroom along with her students. Now we know how incorrect this was. Sometimes when the reporters don't have information they will speculate and this gets turned into a news report!

This teaches us to not take anything that we see or hear from this world's "news agencies" at face value and spread it around.

For ones with guns - they (the guns) need to be locked away. They make special lock boxes for all types of guns - or even gun safes.

I can't imagine having a child - even one in good mental health - and having easily accessed guns. Then to learn this young person had mental issues AND the guns were easy to get to - CRAZINESS!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I took care of an eight year old for several weeks that accidentally shot and killed his six year old brother. It is the most heart wrenching thing you will ever go through apart from loosing your own child. The 22 rifle was just leaning up behind a door at a friends home they were visiting, the child took it outside to play A-Team with his brother. In the tv show, nobody ever dies. I agree, guns should be locked up at all times and the bullets locked away separate from the fire arms.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

So much misinformation out there. Like the police said. You will have to wait for truth to come out.

It really shows how unreliable the news reports can be at first and sometimes for days afterward. Sometimes when the reporters don't have information they will speculate and this gets turned into a news report!

On CBS network's '60 Minutes' program, Scott Pelley began the broadcast by restating those erroneous news reports and then said "All of that was wrong". It is very unlike a news broadcast to make a retraction. I guess he was spotlighting the fact that it can, and does, happen - even to the best of 'em. Why though? Much like sports - coming in second just isn't good enough. Why else would a reporter stick a microphone into the face of a shocked and distraught parent?

In this example, there was so much here-say being reported that it must have even shamed a professional newsman such as Mr. Pelley. At least he and his network acknowledged the sloppy work.

This morning at meeting for field service, we went over some scriptures & tracts to use, per news item. At one RV, my wife read 2 Cor. 1:3,4 to her as she is grade school teacher. After reading she hugged my wife & thanked her. Before she has made good comments on young Jw student in her class.

I am going to use that scripture in my ministry. Thank you for that. :bible:

According to what I heard there were four of our children that attend the school one sister that worked their but they were unharmed.PRAISE JAH!

from our official webiste -

"On Friday, December 14, 2012, a shooting took place at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut. Media outlets are reporting that upwards of 27 people were killed, including the gunman and 20 children. Initial reports indicate that at least two Witness youths were at the school during the shooting but were not injured. Jehovah’s Witnesses in the area are offering assistance and spiritual comfort to the families and communities affected by this tragedy."

http://www.jw.org/en/news/headlines/#mid702012042

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Another interesting article about the "mental illness" debate that I haven't seen in the mainstream media. Just another indication of why mankind cannot solve their own problems and therefore govern themselves. This incident brings to the fore the complexity of the mess that fuels this sort of tragedy. No ONE issue is to blame. It is all a result of mankind's independence from their Creator, Jehovah God, who is the only one capable of directing our steps:

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/manic-depression/2012/09/18/335/

The Bee