JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Alaska trip

OK - I am planning our Alaska vacation. We have been saving up for several years - by not taking any big trips. Now we are ready.

I have always wanted to go to Alaska as I was born in Fairbanks, but my dad - being in the airforce - was re-assigned to Las Vegas before I was even 2.

So, I have always wanted to go. Here are my issues - i get TERRIBLE sea sick!!! Even in the back seat of a car - I am sick to my stomach. Once, when we were first married we did a 5 day cruise - I was sick the whole time - no fun. So, cruise is OUT!!

But, I want to fly in to whatever is the "international" airport in Alaska and do some land based stuff. I don't have any objection to some water stuff - like a ferry ride across the gulf. We are going at the end of Aug beginning of Sept. I have up to 14 days (but would prefer 10 days - Leave Thursday and get back Sunday of the following week).

Any suggestions???

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

That sounds awesome Jerry.

If you like some water stuff. Ginger or Ginger beer is good for sea sickness.

I find having ginger bear candies are great even for travel in the car.

Mint or camomile tea is great too.

Just a suggestion.

I can't stand to fly. But prefer crusing.

I recently saw Endless summer2. Surfing in Alaska. Goimg thru

Deadmans creek. Past the bears. Now I would like to try

That in the new system.

Love to see some pics please.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Only a 60 hour drive :ecstatic: EACH WAY!!!

147594=8125-Alaska1.jpg

Don't forget to bring 8 extra tires, 2 axles, spare transfer case, jack, 2 boxes of tools and 50 gallons of spare gasoline and several gallons of oil. The road has a few potholes. >:D<

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Lynn- Where are you getting him ready to go?!!! The Alaska Highway is not at all like it used to be. Now it is all paved and straightened so now it is just a looooonnnnng Sunday drive. Boring even! Jerry, you can fly non-stop from Seattle to either Fairbanks International or Anchorage, International. From Fairbanks, you can see all the sights around here and then drive or take the train south to Anchorage and on the way stop and visit Denali Nat. Park, then see all that's to see around Anc. and south to Homer. There are many, many things to see and do here in AK. It is full of Ohs and Ahhs. It's not like anything you will ever see in S.48. Before we came up here we lived in Colo. and I have to say that is a beautiful state. I always thought that Colo. mountains were so high but after being up, those mountains seem pretty insipid! Mt. Mckinley between here and Anc. is the tallest mountain in North America. I goes from sea level to 20,320 feet. I have to say it is awe inspiring and when I see it in the distance, I have to feel a little proud that my son stood on top of it in June 2002. I will try to send some pictures in the photo thread. Anyway, keep in touch about your plans.

Wow Jerry. Going to Alaska is my life long dream. I have wanted to see Alaska since I was a kid. We almost went one time. We took a 3 week road trip through Canada when I was about 10. We were a few miles away from the Alaskan HWY, and my mom really wanted to go. My dad said no, he said we just didn't have the time to do it as we had to head back home to Chicago. It made us very sad.

If you are able to go, please post pics.

Lynn- Where are you getting him ready to go?!!! The Alaska Highway is not at all like it used to be. Now it is all paved and straightened so now it is just a looooonnnnng Sunday drive.

Just remembering some of the stories Jingles, Larry Crabb and Mike Mercer used to tell of their Alaska HWY adventures. I know you knew Jingles and I think you also know Larry. Larry/Butch, Jingles and I were baptized at the same CA and have stayed in contact. The only time I made it to Alaska I flew and enjoyed as much from the air as when I was on the ground.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

That sounds like a great trip for you both to enjoy! How exciting and adventourous for you. I never thought Alaska would be somewhere I would want to go with so many other places to visit but after watching Selling Alaska on TV I have totally changed my mind. I know nothing about Alaska except from pictures of friends who have done the Alaskan Cruise--so I can not be of any help. But I do know that this is what you should pack to have a great, memorable and safe trip. Plenty of clean underware, camera, and don't forget to pack me in your suitcase where I can go along!

I will be looking forward to hearing about your trip from you and Debbie and seeing pictures. Have a great time my friend!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Lynn- Where are you getting him ready to go?!!! The Alaska Highway is not at all like it used to be. Now it is all paved and straightened so now it is just a looooonnnnng Sunday drive. Boring even! Jerry' date=' you can fly non-stop from Seattle to either Fairbanks International or Anchorage, International. From Fairbanks, you can see all the sights around here and then drive or take the train south to Anchorage and on the way stop and visit Denali Nat. Park, then see all that's to see around Anc. and south to Homer. There are many, many things to see and do here in AK. It is full of Ohs and Ahhs. It's not like anything you will ever see in S.48. Before we came up here we lived in Colo. and I have to say that is a beautiful state. I always thought that Colo. mountains were so high but after being up, those mountains seem pretty insipid! Mt. Mckinley between here and Anc. is the tallest mountain in North America. I goes from sea level to 20,320 feet. I have to say it is awe inspiring and when I see it in the distance, I have to feel a little proud that my son stood on top of it in June 2002. I will try to send some pictures in the photo thread. Anyway, keep in touch about your plans.[/quote']

Jerry, I agree with Dorothy. Go to Seattle from LV, actually it may be cheaper to go to PDX. (Lew and I travel from PDX to LV and it's definately cheaper.) Go to PDX and fly to Fairbanks.

I get sick traveling too, coming back from a trip to the hospital Tuesday the 11/2 hour drive took 31/2 hours due to me throwing up! So maybe a accupressure wrist band, ginger like someone else said, or /and a pressure point patch behind the ear.

Like Dorothy said you'll have much more time to enjoy the sights, it's beautiful. And the roads are all good too. It's not as primitave as others may think.

SHARE PHOTOS!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

This is an accurate summary of what Alaska is like, so when one visits they only see a tiny sliver of what is really here. My husband and my two sons has seen much more of it than I have --it's a beautiful and wonderful land.

[if one were to travel continuously for a whole year, using the most expeditious means at his command, and not wasting a day anywhere, it is doubtful whether, summer and winter, by sea and land, squeezing the last mile out of the seasons, travelling on the "last ice" and the "first water," he could even touch at all the stations. So, when a man from Nome speaks of Alaska he means his part of Alaska, the Seward Peninsula. When a man from Valdez or Cordova speaks of Alaska he means the Prince William Sound country. When a man from Juneau speaks of Alaska he means the southeastern coast. Alaska is not one country but many, with different climates, different resources, different problems, different populations, different interests; and what is true of one part of it is often grotesquely untrue of other parts. This is the reason why so many contradictory things have been written about the country. Not only do these various parts of Alaska differ radically from one another, but they are separated from one another by almost insuperable natural obstacles, so that they are in reality different countries.

Stuck, Hudson. Ten Thousand Miles with a Dog Sled A Narrative of Winter Travel in Interior Alaska ]

• 3 months later...

OK, the trip planning is going into high gear.

We are flying into Anchorage July 26th, we stay there a few days (I need to find a good Bed & Breakfast - suggestions? It is just Debbie & me).

I want to take the train to Seward and do a day trip there. I also want to do a day cruise on the sound and see glaciers.

Then Take the train to Denahli National park (That takes several hours and spend a few days there - any suggestions on places to stay?)

Then into Fairbanks for our last 2 days. I understand there is some gold mining nearby. That sounds like an interesting tour.

We fly out of Fairbanks Aug 3rd (Saturday).

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry, I have been thinking about your trip and I have some thoughts about it. One thing you should be aware of is the fact that the trains run very slow & they run only once a day. In some places between here and Denali it only goes 5 mph. I would suggest you rent a car or take the bus. You have to take the bus if you go into Denali Park- cars are only allowed a few miles in and the train does not go there. I still feel you have not allowed near enough time considering the distances.  We went down to Wasilla last week to visit our son and it is an all day drive from Fairbanks to Wasilla. It is 360 miles from Fairbanks to Anchorage and another 150 miles on to Seward. In my opinion, it would be much better to come to Fairbanks first, see what you want, then even take the bus on south and if you have any days left, you can go on to Seward. We would really like to have you spend some time with us. We could take you to Chena Hot Springs and out to the gold mining area north of town. 

We have been having hot weather for us. It's been up to 90 and above and it is very dry. Our daughter lives 16 miles east of us and last night they had a 125 ac. forest fire right back of their place. They were all ready to load up their horses and evacuate but fire personnel and aircraft jumped right on it and fortunately the wind was blowing it away from them. We really need to have our "to go bags" sitting by the door.

We enjoyed the drive to Wasilla because the weather was good and the mountain was out in all it's glory. It is only visible 25% of the time in the summer. We saw 2 moose along the way. Hopefully we can have some good weather when you come.

Edited by trottigy

• 1 month later...

Oh my goodness. I am going to have to post some pictures!!!

Dorothy was a wonderful host and her fantastic hubby!!! No time for pics today, but hopefully tomorrow.

Meanwhile - it is back to the real heat - 99 degrees at 5:20 pm.   X(

Soon .....

We went in '02 with another Bro & Sis. Flew into Anchorage. Drive down to Seward for a couple of days. Went out on a glacier tour boat for 6 hrs. Then drove to the other side to Homer for a couple of days. Then back to Anchorage. Only had a week. Would do that same trip again. We had a great time. Doctor gave me the 'patch' for motion sickness. Worked. I think it's called "Transdermscope". Just not supposed to have alcohol with it. Great trip.

Pictures   :ecstatic:

Our trip started at the cute little Fairbanks airport where we were met by Dorothy and her LOVELY husband Tom (who are BOTH lying about their ages!!! - clearly they are 20 years younger than they are saying   :wave:  ) note: this was about 5pm, but it could have just as easily been 11pm - the day light would have been the same.

post-272-0-68732800-1376513030_thumb.jpg

They took us to the Kingdom Hall in Fairbanks because - well that MUST be the first thing a witness wants to see - and they are SO right!! (Debbie and Dorothy in this pic - back sides - I will leave it to her to post pictures with her and her hubby in them :)  )

post-272-0-96541700-1376513118_thumb.jpg

And we just couldn't believe this is OLD carpet. It looks brand new - as does the rest of the hall

post-272-0-67951600-1376513167_thumb.jpg

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Then after a stop at our hotel:

post-272-0-11518500-1376513452_thumb.jpg

Off to their house. Which Tom started building when he was 75 years OLD!!! - Concrete slab with concrete walls. They only ran into trouble when some scaffolding fell while Tom was on it and messed up his shoulder. So, at 75 he had to finish it WITH ONE HAND!!! - she can post pictures of her house, but here is the view.

post-272-0-40659800-1376513567_thumb.jpg

Just beautiful! - All of Alaska was like this :wave:

Soon .....

Cool Jerry. :thumbs up: what was the temperature llike when you took you're cruise?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Then next day Debbie and I wanted to "see Alaska". So we went driving and came to a quint little town called - The North Pole. Interestingly enough - we had to drive SOUTH to get there. Nothing to see here, but a store that allowed you to send post cards to anyone you wanted saying the card was from the "North Pole" - but who of our friends would find that interesting :nope: I thought I took a photo of the giant Santa in front, but nope!

Then by the base where my dad worked when I was born - Eielson AFB. No photos of that either as while driving by the runways - yep freeway ran right by them - large signs read - "NO PHOTO TAKING!" I am certain ALL spies while driving on the public freeway obey this sign implicitly. Well, OK at least we did :)

Farther south took us to Delta Junction. Funny story - Debbie asked the person maning the "Visitor's" building - what is there to see here? The answer? Nothing! :lol1: OK, how about the nearby town of Tok? Answer - Our school plays them, but I can't think of anything to see there either. :lol1: WOW! Very helpful visitor information booth.

Pics from out front of that building:

post-272-0-38962300-1376514273_thumb.jpg

They weren't that big in REAL life, but I suppose the mosquito is their state bird. We only had one day while hiking that we had to deal with them.

post-272-0-85959200-1376514337_thumb.jpg

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Cool Jerry. :thumbs up: what was the temperature llike when you took you're cruise?

No cruise. All land based - except for one day we went to the glaciers.That wwas at the end of our trip.

Temps were a nice cool 70 - 80 F degrees (21-26 C ). We thought it was wonderful and cool and dry. The locals thought it was a "Heat Wave"   :lol1: I think by the end of our trip I saw a newspaper article about this being the LONGEST heat wave in Alaska history - over 30 days of temps above 75 F (23C )

PS - we got out of there before the REAL weather started - WINTER!!! How they do those below 0  temps and in the dark - I have NO idea!

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

There was one spot worth stopping at - Rika's Roadhouse. Interesting to see what the "pioneers of the Alaskan wilderness" went through - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rika's_Landing_Roadhouse

Beautiful area:

post-272-0-89281800-1376515056_thumb.jpg

post-272-0-08288600-1376515137_thumb.jpg

Soon .....