JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Witness memes

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

"Brother, when I hear you speak, I marvel at the wisdom of Jehovah's organization in cutting public talks from 45 minutes to 30!

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

7 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

"Brother, when I hear you speak, I marvel at the wisdom of Jehovah's organization in cutting public talks from 45 minutes to 30!

That talk was well executed,  you murdered it!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 hours ago, Tortuga said:

That talk was well executed,  you murdered it!

One person in our KH has a balance condition and wears a helmet, lest he faint. I told the speaker (a good friend of mine) "Look, it's well known what your talks are like but even I don't  feel the need to wear a helmet when you're on the platform."

Let's face it: insulting each other for their talks is a cottage industry among Jehovah's Witnesses. It is always good-natured fun. In fact, I would never do it for someone whose talks actually were wanting.

Edited by TrueTomHarley

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

8 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Let's face it: insulting each other for their talks is a cottage industry among Jehovah's Witnesses. It is always good-natured fun. In fact, I would never do it for someone whose talks actually were wanting.

So...no news is bad news...? ::o

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 12/16/2013 at 11:00 PM, Miss Bea said:

Answers. Five minute answers. I know it would be mean to time this brother. But i have my suspicions!

I'm guilty of timing a sister...I think Ross knows this. :D:lol1:Answers minimum of 8 times during Watchtower. Majority over 1 minute.  We need a trap door bad, really bad. :help:I know I'm evil...very evil. :shutup:<<<<sister. 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

2 minutes ago, Linda Hoy said:

I'm guilty of timing a sister...I think Ross knows this. :D:lol1:Answers minimum of 8 times during Watchtower. Majority over 1 minute.  We need a trap door bad, really bad. :help:I know I'm evil...very evil. :shutup:<<<<sister. 

The conductor is responsible for who he calls on. If more hands are up he might not have to call on one person so often...:whistling:

13 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

The conductor is responsible for who he calls on. If more hands are up he might not have to call on one person so often...:whistling:

O we have plenty hands that are raised. The hand just keeps going up for the paragraph till called on. 

4 hours ago, Linda Hoy said:

Answers minimum of 8 times during Watchtower. Majority over 1 minute.  We need a trap door bad, really bad.

It is well to remind elders of this occasionally, in private communication. Don't overdo it.  Don't harp. It is something you could even mention to the traveling overseer, also without harping. The benefits of all keeping comments under 30 seconds are plain. When it is not practiced or strongly encouraged in a congregation, it is only human foible that is the reason - someone doesn't want to risk hurting someone's feelings. However, Bethel and the traveling overseers are quite plain that there should not be run-on comments. 

We all can live through one on occasion, but when it gets to be a pattern, it is not good. It detracts from the joy of the meetings. You end up rolling your eyes, rather than being upbuilt. If even one elder starts to harp on '30 seconds or less,' stating that policy clearly, the others are likely to follow suit, for he is right and they all know it. They all know it's for the greater good of the congregation to do it that way, but they are sometimes too much nice guys to reign in the yakkers.

Occasionally, elders do not know how to get from here to there. What if nobody answers other than Sister Expound? Let there be dead air, in that case. It will not continue long. When the friends see the forums are wide open, they will rise to the occasion. They always do.

Edited by TrueTomHarley

19 hours ago, Linda Hoy said:

Each congregation should have a Miss Sweetie Poo.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

At one time we had a Watctower conductor that went overtime 10 t0 20 minutes each study. It was rectified when after about 5 minutes OT one brother and his wife would stand up and make a production  of gathering their things and then leaving the hall. It worked.

I have counseled several on long comments. One sister in particular would launch into a dissertation during the last couple of minutes of the last paragraph. After a while it became obvious that I wouldn't call on her when time was short. I did take time after the meeting to explain why I didn't call on her. She took the message to heart, but we still have some (all sisters) that are shy when given the assignment for the 2 minute part on the midweek meeting, but can easily go 2 to 3 minutes educating the congregation on their pet research. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Long comments?

Let's also include individuals in the congregation who love to raise their hand at each meeting to incorporate "a family / toddler / child / husband experience" into each and everyone of her comments, whether the topic of conversation is personal study, the rebellion in Eden, Daniel's prophecy, the Timeline of Jesus' Life or the Revelation of John! :uhhuh:

1 minute ago, Omo_Yeme said:

Long comments?

Let's also include individuals in the congregation who love to raise their hand at each meeting to incorporate "a family / toddler / child / husband experience" into each and everyone of her comments, whether the topic of conversation is personal study, the rebellion in Eden, Daniel's prophecy, the Timeline of Jesus' Life or the Revelation of John! :uhhuh:

Ouch!! :bringiton: :snoring: :upset: