JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2 sisters mulled by pit bull-in critical condition

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4041 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Tulsa Police say their preliminary investigation shows the three women were ministering in the area and when they knocked on the front door of a home, the homeowner came to the door and according to the third woman, a large pit bull dog 'burst through the door' and began attacking the two other women.

Police say a man working nearby, heard the screams, got into his truck and drove to the home, where he saw the dog attacking the two women. He told officers he grabbed his handgun, ran to home and when the dog ran toward him, he fired one gunshot, striking the dog, killing it instantly.

Police say the two women suffered bites to their faces, arms and legs. Both were taken by EMSA ambulance to the hospital where both are listed in critical condition.

Very sad. Be careful out there. Always carry a good book bag at minimum to have something to put between you and ... what ever.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Ther are in a neighboring KH. My sister and another couple from our KH are on their way to the hospital now to see the family. They are both in ICU so rightfully no visitors. Just going to take some refreshments and lend support.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

How terrifying! I never go into a gated garden where there's a loose dog, but this dog was in the house and came bursting through the front- door! Hope they are not left with too many physical scars, though I could imagine plenty of traumatic emotional scars this will cause them. I pray they get strength and comfort from Jehovah and their brothers and sisters.

Our territory is so vast we have been putting Memorial Invitations through not-at-homes. We don't have post-boxes in UK, the front door has a letter-box slot. It can be really awkward because in our climate they have to have 2 sprung inner and outer flaps and a set of inner brushes to keep the draft out of the house. These contraptions mangle whatever you struggle to put through them. Also, if the owner has a dog or cat, they are usually 'on guard' behind the door. Many of us used to get hands nipped; gloves bitten off; hands scratched by people's pets, so we learned a technique to avoid damage to ourselves.

We use a hard-cover plastic folder/wallet to carry our tracts/Invitations in.When we have a not -at- home, we fold the invitation in half and slot it over the bottom side of the folder. Then use the stiffness of the folder to push the thin tract/Invitation through the stiff letter-box slot. This keeps the tract tidy and if there are teeth and claws on other other side of the door, they only get the plastic folder and not our hands/gloves.

It was a technique we noticed that the Police use when posting court summons, where the occupant would not answer the door.People often set their pets on them, so the Police clip-board would get bitten raggy at one end and not their hands! .

Thanks for the tips Helen. My sister just returned from the hospital. One of the sisters is 78 yrs old and very frail. The ICU nurse said she had her ear chewed off several broken bones and over 60 puncture wounds. She has lost a massive amount of blood and continues to do so. The other sister has lost her face/facial skin and has broken /mulled fingers. It just reinforces that even when things appear safe there are dangers lurking everywhere.

LeslieDean

How terrifying! I never go into a gated garden where there's a loose dog, but this dog was in the house and came bursting through the front- door! Hope they are not left with too many physical scars, though I could imagine plenty of traumatic emotional scars this will cause them. I pray they get strength and comfort from Jehovah and their brothers and sisters.

Our territory is so vast we have been putting Memorial Invitations through not-at-homes. We don't have post-boxes in UK, the front door has a letter-box slot. It can be really awkward because in our climate they have to have 2 sprung inner and outer flaps and a set of inner brushes to keep the draft out of the house. These contraptions mangle whatever you struggle to put through them. Also, if the owner has a dog or cat, they are usually 'on guard' behind the door. Many of us used to get hands nipped; gloves bitten off; hands scratched by people's pets, so we learned a technique to avoid damage to ourselves.

We use a hard-cover plastic folder/wallet to carry our tracts/Invitations in.When we have a not -at- home, we fold the invitation in half and slot it over the bottom side of the folder. Then use the stiffness of the folder to push the thin tract/Invitation through the stiff letter-box slot. This keeps the tract tidy and if there are teeth and claws on other other side of the door, they only get the plastic folder and not our hands/gloves.

It was a technique we noticed that the Police use when posting court summons, where the occupant would not answer the door.People often set their pets on them, so the Police clip-board would get bitten raggy at one end and not their hands! .

I wish we could use the letter-box slots in the U.S. but it is a federal crime to do so, only stamped mail allowed. It would be so much easier than trying to slide them in past the door's weather proofing.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I also will pray for these faithful sisters..too terrible to imagine..Jehovah promises to become whatever he needs to become to equal our challenges. The families are no doubt in shock. How loving Jehovah is to promise that in the future we will not call to mind all these terrible things during these last days.

:grouphug:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Women in critical condition after dog attack

1 / 4

By AMANDA BLAND World Staff Writer

Published: 3/19/2013 12:57 PM

Last Modified: 3/19/2013 9:21 PM

Tulsa police credit a man who distracted and shot a dog that brutally attacked two women Tuesday morning with saving their lives.

The women suffered “extensive dog bite wounds to their faces, arms and legs” and were transported by EMSA to St. John Medical Center, Officer Leland Ashley said. One of the victims, Irene Parker, 78, underwent extensive surgery that took four hours.

The other victim was a 43-year-old woman whose name has not been released. Both women were in critical condition Tuesday night.

Levi Moore, an elder at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses at 2626 N. Lewis Ave., said the women were volunteers who walked door-to-door ministering and distributing religious literature.

“It is a terrible tragedy,” Moore said. “They were two ladies just trying to help people.”

The attack occurred in the 2000 block of North Lewis Place about 10:20 a.m., Ashley said.

“The large pit bull dog burst through the door and began to attack” the women after a resident answered the women’s knock, he said.

Mike Harrell said he and the receptionist where he works heard noises from across the street but couldn’t see what the commotion was.

“We were trying to figure out what it was, and all of a sudden we hear this blood-curdling scream,” Harrell said.

He said he got in his truck and went to the area, where he saw the dog attacking one woman, another woman lying motionless on the ground, and the dog’s owner screaming. All of them were covered in blood.

“So I grabbed my gun out of the truck and ran to the fence — started shaking the fence, yelling at the dog, trying to get the dog off of her and just trying to get it away,” said Harrell, who said he has a license to carry a handgun.

“I knew there was no way of shooting the dog or anything where it was. It was basically biting the lady’s leg or on top of the lady, and right behind her was the downed lady.”

The dark gray dog, which Harrell estimated to weigh about 130 pounds, eventually turned its attention toward Harrell and charged at him, blood covering its mouth.

“Finally it let go (of the woman), and it started running,” said Harrell, who closed a gate between him and the dog. “When it did, I just said, ‘Is this your dog?’ and the lady said, ‘Yeah.’ I said, ‘Can I shoot it?’ ”

Harrell said the owner said yes, so he reached over the gate and fired one round into the dog’s head.

“I knew as long as I had that gate, that as soon as I got him to come at me I could close that gate at the last minute,” he said. “I had something that was in between me” and the dog.

The injured women lay motionless on the ground, he said. The dog’s owner, armed with a baseball bat, was hysterically screaming on her knees in the front yard, he said.

Lance Snider, who heard the commotion just feet from his home and called the police after witnessing the attack, described what he saw as “disgusting and shocking.”

“One of the women wasn’t moving,” Snider said.

At one point the dog’s owner struck the animal with a bat in an effort to halt the attack, witnesses said.

“Another woman tried to pull the dog away,” Snider said. “If (Harrell) had not shot that dog, it would have probably killed all of them.”

Snider indicated that he’s never experienced problems with the pit bull since its owner moved into the neighborhood about a year ago, but he said the animal “looked rough.”

“It’s been mostly loud at times,” he said.

Other neighbors said they’ve had minimal contact with the dog or its owner.

Harrell said he fears what the outcome would have been had he or someone else not acted. Neighbors were on the phone with authorities when he arrived, and police arrived about two minutes after he shot the dog, he said.

“I just wish I was there sooner, and I hope to God they’re both OK,” Harrell said.

He said neighbors and authorities thanked him for his action.

“He’s a hero,” Snider said. “That’s the word that comes to mind.”

Jean Letcher, manager of the Tulsa Animal Shelter, said investigators had not issued a citation to the dog’s owner.

Harrell said he is a dog lover, but that wasn’t what concerned him at the time. He knew he had to stop the attack.

But the trauma of the event for him — both shooting the dog and witnessing the women’s injuries — will be difficult to overcome.

“For the most part, I’m probably not going to sleep that good tonight,” Harrell said.

By AMANDA BLAND World Staff Writer

Brother Levi Moore is the brother in one of our recent videos about youths serving Jehovah (I am so tired now I can not think of the name) He came up a football career to serve Jehovah. And is now a fireman in Tulsa.

LeslieDean

This is so sad. I feel for those dear sisters. may the Supreme One give the strength. Please keep updating us on their condition.

It is not important where we serve nor in what capacity but, rather, whom we serve. MARKUS HARTLIEF

Thats so sad!!! I hope the sisters make it through this. How utterly petrifying!

Definitely in my prayers.

I'm pretty sure pit bulls are banned in this country, they get put to sleep a lot when found.

What if it had been a sister with a couple of children? Not that you want any at all to be hurt, I just mean, a little toddler wouldn't have stood a chance.

The dears I will be praying for their recovery

Ditto Sister! Our prayers are essential in behalf of our dear sisters. I still remember being attacked in the ministry going from house to house by a dog the owners had named "KILLER". What protected me was the book bag I was carrying. I agree with Jerry! Some of you may not feel like carrying a bookbag but I NOW am a firm believer if just for a form of protection from aggressive animals and in some cases householders.

I knew a brother he was a Posti. When he was delivering mail the dogs would chase him you name it.

So he would have a pockket full or rubber bands.

He would carry some in the minstry if any came ar him he just flick them. I haven't tried it.

Dad sent me &my brother to a call. Down a lone drive way. The house sat on the water pretty much. Sure enough this crazy black dog came out. The only option to go jump..

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

This is terrible. In Australia pit bulls are banned, they're not allowed to be bred or imported.

These dear sisters are in my prayers.

This has nothing to do with this incident but if there is a Beware of the Dog I won't go in. Many others are very "brave" and sometimes make me feel like I don't care about the householder or not relying on Jehovah if I don't go onto the property, but I'm very cautious after a bad experience in the ministry when I was a teenager. My teenage partner and I were caught in a small enclosed area on a property while a dog tried to attack us. We were only saved by the rest of our group who came looking for us. I'm in tears just remembering that incident 25 years ago. They will need help to recover from this.

Rurals this weekend - a big stick will be my friend.

Leslie have you heard about how our Sisters are doing?

Myree. I will probably get whipped one day. Lols

Now if there is a long yard & a big gate, i will put a tract in the mail box..

I also have my 4yr old with me. So I love the people but not dogs.:pray:

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

We have been told they are "stable" at this time but not out of the woos. Many surgeries to come and the chance for infections are high. The younger sister (43) will be going back to surgery today--I am not sure if he i off life support--she was on it but the one giving us the info did not say if she was off or if just upgraded to stable. I will be taking trays of sandwiches to the hospital tomorrow. Our 2 day assembly is in Fort Smith Ark. this weekend so some of the friends from their hall will be splitting p the assembly and alternating days where there will be some with the family.

Thanks for everyone's concern and I will keep you posted.

LeslieDean

We have been told they are "stable" at this time but not out of the woos. Many surgeries to come and the chance for infections are high. The younger sister (43) will be going back to surgery today--I am not sure if he i off life support--she was on it but the one giving us the info did not say if she was off or if just upgraded to stable. I will be taking trays of sandwiches to the hospital tomorrow. Our 2 day assembly is in Fort Smith Ark. this weekend so some of the friends from their hall will be splitting p the assembly and alternating days where there will be some with the family.

Thanks for everyone's concern and I will keep you posted.

Leslie, Thanks for the update. I have been praying for the 2 sisters. It would be nice to send them a card. Do you have an address even if it is to their kingdom hall?

Helen,

I know they would love the thoughtful cards! My sister visited with them today and they are improving by leaps and bounds! Channel 6 was there and took a photo of our older sister with her permission and did a short interview with her. She said they had no intentions of pursuing a lawsuit because they knew the owner felt badly and had suffered enough. They humbly acknowledged there was a beware of dog sign in the window by the door. The younger sister may be released as soon as Friday but with future surgeries pending. It was just nice to see them both talking and smiling. Thanks to this wonderful online family for all your kind words and prayers .

LeslieDean

Leslie, thank you so much for the update on our dear sisters' condition. It was so shocking to hear of this incident. May Jehovah continue to help them and give them comfort after going through such a terrible & terrifying ordeal.

Since I first became aware of this story I have become more cautious than ever about dogs in the ministry. I've had a few scary experiences with dogs in recent weeks where I've felt seriously threatened and this story has only confirmed the hesitation I feel about entering a property if I feel unsafe. In 2 recent situations there was no way I could have known I was entering into a dangerous situation. If it wasn't for the owner stepping in at the last minute to call the dog off in each case I hate to think how it might have ended.

A couple of days ago this was highlighted even more so in NZ when a woman was attacked and killed by dogs.

Read article here: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10874550

It is hoped the authorities in this country will amend the laws surrounding dog ownership to keep people safe from the dangerous ones.