JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Nice, I'm going to try this.

Well, Bible is not working on it :/

Try going into the application settings and clear all data from the JWReader app, then uninstall it. Then, reboot the phone/tablet and re-install it fresh. That will clear any left over data from your other version. Hope this helps!

Musky thanks for the link.

I am finally able to download the mags & listen.

Very very happy. :D:thumbsup:

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

The problem is that jw.org changed the location of the Daily text and Bible .epub files. If you go to jw.org and download those files and manually put them in their corresponding folders under the "jwreader" folder on your phone or tablet.   The bible and text will then work in all versions of the app, even 3.8. listening to the bible does not work however because again jw.org changed the file locations. 

I hope the brother who wrote the app will update soon. 

The problem is that jw.org changed the location of the Daily text and Bible .epub files. If you go to jw.org and download those files and manually put them in their corresponding folders under the "jwreader" folder on your phone or tablet.   The bible and text will then work in all versions of the app, even 3.8. listening to the bible does not work however because again jw.org changed the file locations. 

I hope the brother who wrote the app will update soon. 

That would be true except that many of us are not having the same problem which we would if it had been caused by an address change at jw.org. My JW reader just downloaded the October 2013 study Watchtower just fine and my bible and Daily text works good also. I think it is a compatibility issue with some versions of Android on some devices. 

Edited by Musky

That would be true except that many of us are not having the same problem which we would if it had been caused by an address change at jw.org. My JW reader just downloaded the October 2013 study Watchtower just fine and my bible and Daily text works good also. I think it is a compatibility issue with some versions of Android on some devices. 

But did you upgrade from an older version?

If someone does a fresh install on a device, JWreader will not be able to find the Bible or daily text epub files when it tries to start for the first time. if you already had them in the right spot, or put them manually in the right spot, the bible and text will work perfectly. Those and the mp3s for the bible are what changed location on jw.org. The magazines are still in the same spot so they work fine. Only I have noticed that the magazine section of the app as become laggy in the latest version. it will hang for a moment but will still load. some other publications at the bottom do not download either. probably because they changed location too. 

I have done 10+ fresh installs of this app on a wide variety of devices for friends since version 3.8. I assure you that if you manually put the two epub files in their folders it will most definitely work no problem. I keep the 2 files in my dropbox ready to download on others phones and tablets.

But did you upgrade from an older version?

If someone does a fresh install on a device, JWreader will not be able to find the Bible or daily text epub files when it tries to start for the first time. if you already had them in the right spot, or put them manually in the right spot, the bible and text will work perfectly. Those and the mp3s for the bible are what changed location on jw.org. The magazines are still in the same spot so they work fine. Only I have noticed that the magazine section of the app as become laggy in the latest version. it will hang for a moment but will still load. some other publications at the bottom do not download either. probably because they changed location too. 

I have done 10+ fresh installs of this app on a wide variety of devices for friends since version 3.8. I assure you that if you manually put the two epub files in their folders it will most definitely work no problem. I keep the 2 files in my dropbox ready to download on others phones and tablets.

The version I posted the link to in this thread, has worked fine for me as a new install on at least four different devices and maybe more, as I have shared it with many friends. I still feel it is an incompatibility issue with some devices and/or the version of Android they use. I also have version 3.7 that has been fine so far.

Edited by Musky

Thanks, Mitch! I'm running Android Jelly Bean and although daily text and magazines have continued to work without any issues, my Bible disappeared with the last update to 3.8. Followed your instructions and copied the epub version from jw.org into my Bible file in jwreader, and I have my Bible back. As you mentioned, mp3 doesn't work, but I can live with that until the next update. Thank you for your help!

Today I was trying to listen to todays study. I went to the Jwreader would click on the watchtower. to listen & It keep saying

not working. Error. & just would close the app. is that part of the problems this app is experiencing?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I went to a get together tonight where the friends just happened to bring their tablets and smartphones. :)

So I had to spend the evening doing setups of the WT library, WSM files, and many "witness apps". Most went well, the problems I ran into with JWReader were not consistent. I did two completely new tablets, where I took them out of the box and set them up. I used two different versions of JWReader, 3.5 and 3.7.  Both versions worked flawlessly on the new tablets as well as several smartphones. But then,on  two devices (one smartphone and one tablet) JWReader would not function correctly. On one, the text and Bible were fine but the magazines and other books would not load, and on the other one the magazines loaded fine, but the text and Bible didn't.

I am more convinced now that the problem is compatibility between some devices and some versions of Android. I just haven't figured out where the problem is yet. Frustrating! 

Your a busy Brother..Musky

You must need a glass of red.post-1015-0-60622100-1373779786.jpg

What do you do for fun or Chill time?

Musky I was wondering what you might have meant, when you think that JWreader has a compatibility issue,

I tried to use the App to listen to a watchtower this morning and It just closed on me.

How can one find out if the program is compatible with the device. Mines a Samsung Note.? I have almost had my Android for a year In September.

I have the 3.5 version of the reader?

Sometimes when they do an upgrade on the app it has a problem until they do another update and it get's fixed. Maybe you need to try another program for listening. :shrugs:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

As Vernalee said, if that app doesn't work on your phone as is, there is nothing you can do about it until it upgrades and hopefully that solves the issues. If you want an app to listen to the publications, try "WT Player" (formally known as "JW Player")

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pm.jwplayer&hl=en

It is not free, but worth the few dollars it costs. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just switched to 3.12 so fare so good.

I am having to download all the Bible audio again as it has new names for the files, but everything else is working with no problems.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....