JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Mormons to use technology in missionary work, less door to door

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3979 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

What drives me wild is hearing 'Jehovah Witness.' I have heard this by Jehovah's Witnesses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fingernails on blackboards anyone?

Are you one of them 'Jehovahs?' Hey you're a Watchtower, huh? Are you Awake? Yes. How about you?   :blink:

I love the scripture in Romans 10 that qualifies WHO get to preach 'the good news about the Kingdom.' First of all NO OTHER religion believes that Christ is now ruling in the Kingdom. And they have NO CLUE what the message ABOUT the Kingdom is. So how can they really be preachers and teachers making disciples? They can't. All they can offer is a poor substitute. I'd much rather eat butter than margarine or a real beef burger than one made from Adzuki beans on a bun!

Dad is on a peramant  Do Not Call list for the Mormons. He ask them this question & that.

they would say they were going back for further discussions  but never turned up. LOLS.

I laugh at the Correct expressions,

Deeping on how tired I am I will say I am A Jehovah's witness or ONe of many etc.

But still to me all the same.  LOLS

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

To the Abraham friend of God illustration - one could say: i am a friend of God OR i am one of God's friends, correct? So "a" or "one of" works, right?

We are a witness right? Not one of witnesses, right? In this case "one of" doesn't make sense IMO.

But, i happily defer to our literature. Have you found an article that says which way we are to say it? If it is important enough to "expound more clearly" SURELY the FDS would have already, yes?

Please post the source. If there is no source than there is no "expounding" there is only opinion.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

:D   It's not often I find people who are overly concerned about grammar, but it is quite important.  Considering the context of a sentence can be entirely changed by the placement of commas or by how it is written.   

The one that always makes me laugh...  Let's eat, Grandma.......and Let's eat Grandma......  

post-56-0-40568600-1372224071.jpg

I am not able to edit my above post sorry, It's off the rails. don't know what happened,

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Not only are we saying we are witnesses of our God Jehovah, but we are also saying we are members of the religious group known as Jehovah's Witnesses. Hence, can't it also be grammatically correct to refer to yourself as "a Jehovah's Witness" (a member of the religious group "Jehovah's Witnesses") just as some might identify themselves as "a Christian," "a Baptist," "a Catholic," etc.?

Here are two quotes from one Watchtower article (1985, Feb. 1 - Can a Blind Man "See"?)

It was at this point in my life that one of my acquaintances, a Jehovah’s Witness named Clovis, spoke to me about the promises in the Bible. He told me that God would make a New Order where the blind would see and the deaf would hear again. (Isaiah 35:5) His words struck a responsive chord in my heart. Eager to learn more, I sought him out constantly to ask questions. Observing my interest, he asked me: “Bernardo, how about my coming to your home one afternoon so we can talk more about the Bible?” I accepted eagerly. This was the beginning of our weekly Bible discussions.

One day while offering Bible literature to people in the business section of Salvador, I heard a female voice say, “I’m one of Jehovah’s Witnesses too.” I stopped to talk with her. She was the owner of a small street stand. I asked: “Is your husband one of Jehovah’s Witnesses too?” She answered: “I have no husband. I’m single.” That chance encounter began a friendship that blossomed into courtship, and on June 14, 1975, Ambrosina and I were married. To this day she continues to be my fine helper and complement.—Genesis 2:18.

Edited by steadfast

I have yet to have a mormon come knocking despite having seen them around, though lately their presence in the community has dropped. I used to see them weekly out and about but I haven't spotted any for some time. They must have all gone home.

I remember seeing a facebook ad for their website, which made me laugh, it said:

"Now avaiable in 8 languages!"

I see your 8 languages and raise you 500!

We are already using technology but not to replace or minimise the Christian method of preaching "publicly and from house to house" but rather to support it. Nothing can beat face to face interaction. I have used my ipad in the ministry to show Hindi literature to a householder. I also used it at a call to show something from the watchtower library.

I am waiting for the day they call. So many things you hear about them that I want to confirm with them. And of course offer a bible study. Haha.

I have had them come visit. One time it was 3 girls. They asked if I liked learning spiritual things. Oh YES, i replied. Invited them in, gave them water, and then asked what do you have for me? Here take this Book of Mormon. Nope, i replied - i thought you were here to share something spiritual not to just hand out literature. I went and got 4 bibles sat them on the table and said - what is your favorite Bible account? Ahhh, i like the one about Ruth, but i don't know where it is :lol1: i had them read a few passages and asked if they wanted to discuss it - nope. They really had just come to hand out literature. It was a good reminder to me - don't go to just hand out literature! I can't remember if i said, i am a Jehovah's Witness or one of His Witnesses, but as we see either would have been ok.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

What drives me wild is hearing 'Jehovah Witness.' I have heard this by Jehovah's Witnesses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fingernails on blackboards anyone?

Are you one of them 'Jehovahs?' Hey you're a Watchtower, huh? Are you Awake? Yes. How about you?   :blink:

I love the scripture in Romans 10 that qualifies WHO get to preach 'the good news about the Kingdom.' First of all NO OTHER religion believes that Christ is now ruling in the Kingdom. And they have NO CLUE what the message ABOUT the Kingdom is. So how can they really be preachers and teachers making disciples? They can't. All they can offer is a poor substitute. I'd much rather eat butter than margarine or a real beef burger than one made from Adzuki beans on a bun!

Oh, yes...Frequently hear 'one of those Jehovahs.'  Drives me nuts!

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

To the Abraham friend of God illustration - one could say: i am a friend of God OR i am one of God's friends, correct? So "a" or "one of" works, right?

We are a witness right? Not one of witnesses, right? In this case "one of" doesn't make sense IMO.

But, i happily defer to our literature. Have you found an article that says which way we are to say it? If it is important enough to "expound more clearly" SURELY the FDS would have already, yes?

Please post the source. If there is no source than there is no "expounding" there is only opinion.

Not only are we saying we are witnesses of our God Jehovah, but we are also saying we are members of the religious group known as Jehovah's Witnesses. Hence, can't it also be grammatically correct to refer to yourself as "a Jehovah's Witness" (a member of the religious group "Jehovah's Witnesses") just as some might identify themselves as "a Christian," "a Baptist," "a Catholic," etc.?

Here are two quotes from one Watchtower article (1985, Feb. 1 - Can a Blind Man "See"?)

Hey, wait a minute. This is getting seriously  :offtopic:!!!!!!

I thought we were talking about the Mormon Church in here.

Jerry and Gary, please come and see me in my office. (Check the PMs I sent you.)

Thanks for the PM Eric  :wub:

Yes, as God's people we do not want to be "debators over words" 1 Tim 6:4. Either way you say it - we know what is meant and we love you all!!!

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

I hate 'debates over words', so I am glad that is sorted out.

By the way, is it Jehovah's Witnesses, or Jehovah's witnesses? Just asking........

In our literature you will find both the J and W capitalized - as in a title.

Soon .....

I wanted to find a smiley of pot-stirring, but couldn't find one!

In older publications it always used to be small w, if I remember correctly. It wasn't so much of a title then, more of a description.

I wanted to find a smiley of pot-stirring, but couldn't find one!

In older publications it always used to be small w, if I remember correctly. It wasn't so much of a title then, more of a description.

Yes, it seems some time during 1976 we switched to capital J and W in our literature.

March 15, 1976 - lower case then April 1st - upper case.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Wasn't Travis Alexnader a mormon? 

Yes. He was the one killed by his "lover" / girl friend - Jodi Arias.

Soon .....

Yes, it seems some time during 1976 we switched to capital J and W in our literature.

March 15, 1976 - lower case then April 1st - upper case.

Thanks for the fruits of your research, Jerry. I thought I remembered it correctly. I used to love the fact that it described us, rather than being a title, but I suppose times have changed.

Lisa, I never heard of Travis Alexander. Donny Osmond, though.....

I appreciate the effort you're taking to correct my grammar.  Perhaps I misspoke.  I would appreciate if you would share a Watchtower reference that goes into detail on this subject.  If it is wrong or incorrect to say "a" Jehovah's Witness as opposed to "one of" Jehovah's Witnesses, then I'll immediately work to adjust my speech patterns. 

I would appreciate reading for myself what the Faithful Slave has said on this matter. 

Shawn,

In view of all the comments and the fact that we're off- topic, I don't want to belabor this point any further except to say, the best thing we can do is model our speech patterns after those consistently used by the F&DS right up to the present time. Perhaps we can take our cue from this excerpt from an article in the W06 4/1 p.24, pp.11-13. 

Identified as One of Jehovah’s Witnesses

11 The second question asks the candidate, first of all, if he understands that his baptism serves to identify him as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. After undergoing immersion, he becomes an ordained minister who bears Jehovah’s name. This is both a great privilege and a serious responsibility. It also puts the one baptized in line for eternal salvation, provided he remains faithful to Jehovah.—Matthew 24:13.

13 When a person becomes one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, he also assumes the responsibility to witness about his God.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley