JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Making money to support yourself

I'm not a smart person. I'm not a math wiz or a science genius. People ask me what I am going to do with my life. What kind of job do I want. And to be honest, I'm not sure. I good job requires 2 or more years of college. For me it would probably take more. But I don't want to spend a bunch of time in college and then the end come. Because we are very close. But there is something I do enjoy doing. Crafts. I have a knack for it. I enjoy origami and felting. I would like to learn how to make jewelry. I've heard of some people who are able to support themselves by doing things like that and selling them online. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences that they could share. I would like to learn how to make all sorts of different things and sell them online.

What a great attitude. Selling crafts online is a great way to support yourself, but don't expect to receive an income large enough to support yourself right away, it'll take time to build up.

That being said eBay is a great idea, also check out etsy.com(here you list your stuff on a large ecommerce site where lots of people sell crafty things) and perhaps your local Facebook Marketplaces. A lot of brothers and sisters don't like the idea of joining Facebook, if you'd like to explore it as a way to sell your wares then it might be a good idea to sign up using a middle name so that people can't easily find you. That way you can use it just for the marketplace without unbelievers from school etc finding and adding you.

I hope that helps :)

My sister has a website to sell her embroidery designs. At first she did pretty good but if you don't keep adding new stuff you lose your customers interest.

I tried ebay, but for me it just didn't work, but for others it has. I'm terrible at selling.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

In many cities there are facebook versions of "buy & sell" or "thrifty women". My wife sells things on "porterville buy & sell" porterville thrifty women" & ebay. It isn't a lot but at the same time she doesn't put a lot of time into it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Want to support yourself start pioneering. Work will come your way period. I prayed for work and promised Jehovah I would pioneer if I got the job I have now. Its starting slow but I plan on doing what I promised. The hours are not very much but for now I will take it. Jehovah will make it so I have more when I need it. 

Rely heavily on him and you will have what you need and more. He will drown you in blessing and gifts for putting him first,  Just talk to some pioneers you will see that is true.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

Like Greg says!! It's true, and be willing to adjust your thinking. Jehovah knows you better, maybe he has something else in mind but you have to be willing to hear it. 

Annie?? Tell me more about that cute little dress. I am loving that simple frock. It'd be nice to have a matching dress for Grand girl and I!!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, great job Sister. Indeed true, we are very close and we could not waste time now and spending a lot of time in college. Just keep it up. Jehovah will bless you with all your effort. Online store is pretty cool. I also do part-time job online. It's good because I earn money from it and can use it in my full time ministry. Rest assured that Jehovah never leave us behind... 

:)  :)  :)

A pet sitting business might be good for you too! You can either pet sit in people's homes or just check on the pets in their owner's homes while the are away. You have to like animals though. There is a big need for that sort of thing. My mother was on social security and disabled and did this and LOVED it. She asked for payment by gettting gift cards for gas stations and Wal-mart so that it wouldn't hurt her on taxes. Her social security helped pay her rent and the gift cards provided everything else she needed. She even baby sat birds at her apartment!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

That's a great idea ! I ask a sister to stay at my place while I visit family and she looks after my place and gets a different scene as well as gets paid :)

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

felting , hmmm can u make (I think they are called cat caves) they are like 30$, I wanted to make my own but I do not think I can do it ,go on penterest (sp) google it, they are popular, and then make me three (you do not mind do you sis) lol

Edited by maladee

once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing strips with plaid is easy. Einstein

• 7 months later...

I've been very busy lately and finally have a new Etsy shop up and running....hopefully it will help me get to this years convention :-) Its called 'Edith & Silas' https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/EdithandSilas?ref=search_shop_redirect

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Myself and quite afew sisters I know do general house cleaning. It's great as you get to decide when you will work, leaving plenty of time in the schedule for field service. If you have a knack for making crafts etc then that's fabulous. Jehovah will surely bless any efforts you make for him.

A pet sitting business might be good for you too! You can either pet sit in people's homes or just check on the pets in their owner's homes while the are away. You have to like animals though. There is a big need for that sort of thing. My mother was on social security and disabled and did this and LOVED it. She asked for payment by gettting gift cards for gas stations and Wal-mart so that it wouldn't hurt her on taxes. Her social security helped pay her rent and the gift cards provided everything else she needed. She even baby sat birds at her apartment!

This is a great idea! I have to say though, any income needs to be claimed, even gift cards. Otherwise that is called tax evasion which is illegal and can get you in big trouble....

I've been very busy lately and finally have a new Etsy shop up and running....hopefully it will help me get to this years convention :-) Its called 'Edith & Silas' https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/EdithandSilas?ref=search_shop_redirect

Annie can you come up with a 10 pocket Tall Tract holder with side pockets for new KH invites like Jasmin use to make?   ... http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/13722-my-new-etsy-store/?hl=etsy

...   everyone who sees ours wants them, but she doesn't make the cool custom ones anymore!!!??? 

Edited by timpin

Want to support yourself start pioneering. Work will come your way period. I prayed for work and promised Jehovah I would pioneer if I got the job I have now. Its starting slow but I plan on doing what I promised. The hours are not very much but for now I will take it. Jehovah will make it so I have more when I need it. 

Rely heavily on him and you will have what you need and more. He will drown you in blessing and gifts for putting him first,  Just talk to some pioneers you will see that is true.

This is upbuilding and encouraging, but not everyone is in a position to pioneer. The fact is, our God promises to bless us if we put his Kingdom and righteousness first. You can hear many similar stories from brothers and siters in very challenging circumstances who have had employment challenges under very heavy loads of varied responsibility who can't serve full time. Brother Morris in the January broadcast brought out some very balanced and loving, not to mention pointed, information on not just the short term, but long term view of being practical in our view of work and education.

Enjoy serving Jehovah whole souled whatever your circumstances, and see his wonderful blessings overtake us.

Remember, our God is not partial and no one special grououp or individual has a corner on abundant blessings from jehovah

Annie can you come up with a 10 pocket Tall Tract holder with side pockets for new KH invites like Jasmin use to make?   ... http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/13722-my-new-etsy-store/?hl=etsy

...   everyone who sees ours wants them, but she doesn't make the cool custom ones anymore!!!??? 

I'll have a look tomorrow Tim

I wouldn't know where to source the plastic inserts, but I think that Jasmin still makes them ?

I'll ask her again  -   maybe she's not in that business anymore?   ... http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/13722-my-new-etsy-store/page-3#entry278350