JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1391 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I used google translator.  sometimes I wonder if it used the correct flavor of the word.

Я использовал переводчик Google. Иногда я задаюсь вопросом, использовал ли он правильный аромат этого слова.

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

13 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I used google translator.  sometimes I wonder if it used the correct flavor of the word.

Я использовал переводчик Google. Иногда я задаюсь вопросом, использовал ли он правильный аромат этого слова.

The word аромат ( flavor) means smell of smth. and sounds strange but the point is clear.

Sister Victoria,  do you happen to have Microsoft Word?  I put together a letter and used google translate, but  It would be nice to have it checked first, as you say,  for easy to understand.

I finally found where to send letters to brothers in prison using the FSIN letter system. I am not 100% sure of where to put all the names. In Canada we call it , first name, last name and middle name or they just ask for middle initial. 

Beneficiary's last name:  Фамилия получателя:  Matrashov

Receiver name: Имя получателя: Konstantin

Patronymic of the recipient: Отчество получателя:    ????

I only found information for Konstantin.

4 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I finally found where to send letters to brothers in prison using the FSIN letter system. I am not 100% sure of where to put all the names. In Canada we call it , first name, last name and middle name or they just ask for middle initial. 

Beneficiary's last name:  Фамилия получателя:  Matrashov

Receiver name: Имя получателя: Konstantin

Patronymic of the recipient: Отчество получателя:   Викторович

11 hours ago, Victoria said:

I can see Google is not a bad translator. Maybe I should use it instead of trying to speak English myself?:)

Oh, please don't rely on Google. Your English is perfectly understandable, Victoria. (I find your English better than some native English speakers here!) I always appreciate the efforts of those non-English brothers and sisters who participate on this site. If a non-English brother or sister visits my congregation, I would like to hear their English, not a comment that's taken out of Google. (td)

We used to have a brother from Moldova in our congregation. His native language is Romanian, but he and his family also speak Russian fluently. His English was perfectly good, so he had no problem giving comments. But his mom, who still lives in Moldova, speaks barely any English. Whenever she visited Canada and came to our congregation, she wanted to participate in the meetings. So she would give a comment in Russian (we have a couple of Russian-speaking sisters here), then her son would translate it into English for the rest of us. It was always a delight when she visited. But there was once she surprised us and gave a short comment in English! (She must have had some coaching from her son beforehand.) That was so encouraging to hear that effort!

We appreciate your effort here too.

6 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Oh, please don't rely on Google.

Issue is that I don't know a pen stroke of Russian and am relying on google translate to assist me with a Russian letter or sorts.

5 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Issue is that I don't know a pen stroke of Russian and am relying on google translate to assist me with a Russian letter or sorts.

That's okay. You can use Google to go from English to Russian, but I don't want our Victoria using it to go the other direction.

Edited by Sheep

What is the connection between President Vladimir Putin and the Russian Orthodox Church? What is it that led to a complete reversal of the Church’s position between the time of Russia's communism and today under Putin's rulership? The Al Jazeera TV network did some research on it and came up with this fascinating documentary. This story is not new, but first appeared last October. Even at 25 minutes it's worth the watch.

We are so close to the end!

16 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I am sure it's OK to use Google translate for the letters of encouragement for our brothers. I believe it's better to use short simple phrases. As for the Bible verses you can copy them from the Russian Bible.(Maybe it's better not to use NWT) I am afraid it is the only way for those brothers to read the Bible. So I am sure the best way to help them is to send them encouraging passages of the Bible. And pray so that the letters are given to them.

Another idea is to send pictures of some Bible accounts.

11 minutes ago, Victoria said:

One more idea - to copy the songs from the Russian songbook.

When I was given instructions on how to write to Dennis Christensen, they said to make sure the letter is written in Russian so it wouldn't get rejected by prison authorities. But some other things were: don't say anything negative about Russia, comment on his court case, or mention the name Jehovah (although God or YHWH would be okay). In that case if we're copying songs from the Russian songbook, what can we do if a song mentions the name Jehovah in it? Is it best to choose a different song?

25 minutes ago, Sheep said:

When I was given instructions on how to write to Dennis Christensen, they said to make sure the letter is written in Russian so it wouldn't get rejected by prison authorities. But some other things were: don't say anything negative about Russia, comment on his court case, or mention the name Jehovah (although God or YHWH would be okay). In that case if we're copying songs from the Russian songbook, what can we do if a song mentions the name Jehovah in it? Is it best to choose a different song?

Who gave you that instructions? ( don't mean they are wrong, just ask).

jw-russia.org says not to comment on court cases only.

I believe all JWs should not say anything negative about Russia but show respect.

I notice that in the JW Library App for Windows, there are 3 version of Russian bible translation. Which one is best to use?

version.thumb.jpg.91105a14163716e373547d8d01bd2e5a.jpg