JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1391 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I can’t speak for aTom but I think there is a few stories he feels it would not be wise to share if the authorities in Russia were to find out.. ..

no discrimination just a precaution 

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Tom has been very careful not to include quotations from the NWT or other banned publications, as that could put this book on the 'extremist' list. He is being 'cautious but innocent', imo.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:51 AM, Lewis said:

On April 19, in Vladivostok, Russia, police raided a divine service attended by Valentin Osadchuk and three elderly women. All four were taken to the police station and interrogated. Valentin remains in custody

jw-russia.org: Peaceful man arrested in Primorye for 2 months

Arrested for two months, until June 20, 2018, one of the followers of the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses in Vladivostok - 42-year-old Valentin Osadchuk.

Edited by humblebumblebee

corrected link

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, TrueTomHarley said:

Way way back in this thread, around the 140's I think, I posted that I was working on a summary of all events with regard to the Russian ban of our activites. Like many projects we embark upon, it does nothing but grow and grow, and I now have something about 140K words long. It will be the most rigorous work (really, the only rigorous work) I have done.

I am in the footnote stage now, and need some help with the following paragraph: 

As mentioned, eight governing members of Jehovah’s Witnesses were sentenced to American prison in 1918, on violation of the Espionage and Sedition Act. The religious press rejoiced. Dr. Ray H Abrams, in his book ‘Preachers Present Arms,’ reports: “I have been unable to discover any words of sympathy in any of the orthodox religious journals.”12 By this measure, the Russian media’s response was almost cheery. Most of them rejoiced, but not all. One that did not was Novaya Gazeta, which ran an article summing up Witness beliefs with reasonable accuracy, if not proper order, and was sympathetic to their plight – taking for granted that they must continue their ministry. Included were vignettes telling why some became Witnesses and how they felt they had benefited from the faith. One woman said that she regretted only one thing – that she learned about the Bible too late to save her first marriage. Applying Bible principles would have done it, she felt, if she only had known them.

Does anyone here have the 1933 book (it was revised in 2009) Preachers Present Arms, who can tell me what page the above quotation is on?

Did you find the answer to your posted question?  I actually just picked up the book from the library today - but this is a 1969 edition.

58 minutes ago, NW2018 said:

Did you find the answer

I did. Crowdsurfing works every time.

On 5/9/2018 at 6:52 PM, Victoria said:

Do not read in Russia?:confused: Why so?

Although the book does not use the New World Translation, it does occasionally quote other Watchtower publications. Technically, this makes it extremist.

There is another version that has all such quotes removed, leaving holes labeled "redacted." Not only does it not violate any extremist law (unless and until the book itself is declared extremist) but it serves to highlight the silliness of it all, for context nearly always indicated the eliminated quotes are perfectly innocuous. However, every effort is made to be deeply respectful of the government. In no way could this be described as a protest book. It also strives to relate things from a Russian perspective.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/826384

Here is the cover for the 'safe' book. It is identical to the main version, except for the message in the orange ball:

Dear Mr Putin Russian edition.jpg

Edited by TrueTomHarley

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

31 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:
On 5/9/2018 at 11:52 PM, Victoria said:

Do not read in Russia?:confused: Why so?

Although the book does not use the New World Translation, it does occasionally quote other Watchtower publications. Technically, this makes it extremist.

I wasn't aware that was a literal warning label! I just thought it was like one of those things you just have for show, appeal or humoured. Like "gardening secrets, don't tell your neighbours!" a nod to how Russia tries to "ban everything".

Edited by EccentricM

jw-russia.org: Peaceful citizens arrested in the Arctic for 55 days - Jehovah's Witnesses

44-year-old Roman Markin and 61-year-old Victor Trofimov, residents of Polyarny (Murmansk region), were sent to the pre-trial detention center for almost 2 months on suspicion of "organizing the activities of an extremist organization"

jw-russia.org: Criminal case for belief in Ivanovo region

Dmitry Mikhailov, a 40-year-old resident of the city of Shuya (Ivanovo region), professing the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses, was found suspected of involvement in the activities of an extremist organization

Another news story:

https://jw-russia.org/news/18051523-315.html

It's becoming more and more evident that the decisions of all the Russian courts are made before any hearings are held.

It was noticeable that the judge knows the decision in advance and conducts the process along this path.

Same article:

A similar feeling developed in Arthur Leontiev, a lawyer who represented the "Watchtower Society, Bibles and Treatises of Pennsylvania" in court: "A number of signs allow such an assumption, because as early as 2016 somehow there was a record in Rosreestr that this complex is planned for withdrawal for state or municipal needs. It is interesting that even before the beginning of this process in the mass media there appeared information that one of the state institutions had already submitted an application for the transfer of this complex to them. And we even applied to the St. Petersburg City Court to clarify to us what is meant here, because this could be interpreted as the fact that the decision had already been made in advance. "

The authorities didn't even try to hide the fact that they wanted the Bethel complex from 2 years ago because they knew they'd have complete support from the RF - no matter what!  It's sickening...truly sickening!

Edited by Omoyeme

They are hanging themselves. Our property is just that property. The friends, and what they are going through, another thing. They had no right to our property, and less right to persecute us. But, what they don’t know, is they are fulfilling bible prophecy. If Jehovah wanted, he could stop them in a heartbeat. He is letting their hearts harden, or, hopefully soften. They are being given a chance. And will reap their consequences, good or bad. 

They may be our enemies, but they need our prayers. They just don’t feel that noose around their neck! 

I’ve never seen an actual pharaoh, but, I can easily identify a certain world leader’s face as that of a pharaoh. Taunting Jehovah. 

They are not prevailing. They are not in control. Satan may be gloating, but, it will short lived. 

The world is swirling under his bondage, but, we are stable. And hopeful. And thankful. If I’m going to be picked on, I want it to be because I’m one of Jehovah’s people! Do what they may. Just one of us and Jehovah is a majority! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

2 hours ago, Dove said:

www.jwforum.net

New today...world  news and etc..

Not all new news...new email to me 😏

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

26 minutes ago, Victoria said:

They took away our PC, all our phones and tablets. The old bible.And many other things that can be evidence against us.

Forgot to mention our international passports( not sure how you call them) so we cannot go abroad even for a short time. We planned to do it in summer, bought the tickets and now we are going to lose much money.