JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Only Survivor From the Battle of Little Big Horn was a Horse Named Comanche

What is the purpose of your post, and why did you post it in this forum?

JWTalk is a discussion forum, not Facebook where we mindlessly share stuff. What is it that you wanted to discuss?

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Well for one I like horses and riding - and it's an interesting story about the horse. It's history and I like history of all sorts. I know there's other people there that also like horses and they might find it interesting as well - discussion ensues. Seems to be in the right forum? Entertainment, multimedia (pictures), fine arts. Is it not?

JWTalk is a discussion forum, not Facebook where we mindlessly share stuff.

O really? Blonde jokes of the day, funny signs, redneck jokes  are not Facebook material, are not mindless insults? "ethnic jokes" are okay but posting a picture of a famous and beautiful animal somehow elicits that comment from you? 

I'm really surprised by your response Bob, there are quite a few pictures of animals posted here and not much discussion on those pictures, probably because --- it's a picture worth a 1000 words. They are beautiful animals, just like this one above and this one has an amazing story.

Is there something that bothers you about it brother?

Edited by Jordan

Please excuse me. I think I stepped in the wrong room. Sorry.

lol !

Bea I love you for that - Actually I think I did too (step into the wrong room) ... I apologize to anyone this picture or story might have offended.

Edited by Jordan

My sister named her horse Comanche when she was 14,I'm gonna ask her if it was because of this horse.My sis is some sort of history genius,she really loves horses and history and anything about the old west.

I hadn't heard of Comanche.He lived to be 29... not bad for a horse,especially a war horse.

lol !

Bea I love you for that - Actually I think I did too (step into the wrong room) ... I apologize to anyone this picture or story might have offended.

It probably fits better in the "post a picture" thread in Chit-Chat.  But it is interesting.

Well for one I like horses and riding - and it's an interesting story about the horse. It's history and I like history of all sorts. I know there's other people there that also like horses and they might find it interesting as well - discussion ensues. Seems to be in the right forum? Entertainment, multimedia (pictures), fine arts. Is it not?

The purpose of Entertainment: Media and Fine Arts forum is to discuss entertainment as presented in the form of media and fine arts - television, movies, music, broadway - think audio visual stimulation. I don't see how a picture of a horse and a link to a wikipedia article fits that criteria, especially when there are no comments from yourself to even ignite a conversation about whatever it was you wanted to talk about.

O really? Blonde jokes of the day, funny signs, redneck jokes  are not Facebook material, are not mindless insults? "ethnic jokes" are okay but posting a picture of a famous and beautiful animal somehow elicits that comment from you? 

I'm really surprised by your response Bob, there are quite a few pictures of animals posted here and not much discussion on those pictures, probably because --- it's a picture worth a 1000 words. They are beautiful animals, just like this one above and this one has an amazing story.

Those pictures have dedicated topics, i.e. "Post a Picture... Any Picture" and "Jokes" <-- contributors of which are still usually trying to elicit comments. I just couldn't get what you are getting at with this post right at the start. 

It probably fits better in the "post a picture" thread in Chit-Chat.  But it is interesting.

^ Precisely what I am talking about. I've been having a little frustration with people posting in the wrong forums since we made the switch to this new software (the old board had better clear direction in place). Sorry you got caught in the crosshairs.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

In 1958 Disney did a movie on the horse (Comanche) but changed the name to an Indian name "Tonka Wacon". It was a pretty good movie and starred Sal Mineo as an Indian boy who raised the horse and it was eventually taken by the Calvary and renamed Comanche.

I liked the movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052300/

In 1958 Disney did a movie on the horse (Comanche) but changed the name to an Indian name "Tonka Wacon". It was a pretty good movie and starred Sal Mineo as an Indian boy who raised the horse and it was eventually taken by the Calvary and renamed Comanche.

I liked the movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052300/

I saw that and it was good

I love that movie. Some pretty cool actors.

I love some history. Thanks for posting Jordan.

I love anything Horse. Black Stallion. Black Beauty.

Have you guys seen the Man From Snowy River,?

One of the most amazing scenes is watching Tom Burlonson. Riding

A stallion down the Side of the mountain. Chasing thorough breeds.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I really enjoy The Man From Snowy River. I know the scene you are talking about. In fact I have watched that more then once. Horses are really special. My granddaughter has one, and I found a book, "Horse, Follow Closely". It is training horses from a native american point of view. I know she will love it. I know one day horses and myself will be good friends. We have talked about getting one. Like getting chickens. Way more responsibility. Do not think so.

Edited by Miss Bea

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I appreciate knowing about the history of "Comanche". Thanks for sharing and thanks for the pic too. 

I don't know if you do any training at all but one of my friends and a study -- is a trainer - Mostly his own ways but also uses Anderson, Roberts and Brannaman. His name is Chris Watson, he's a US reigning and cutting champion (was) -- We've watched Monty Roberts "Shy Boy" movie a few times -- I can't find the original but here's the videos on Youtube. It's a good watch if you like horses. For those of you that don't know him -- he is the original "Horse Whisperer" - He's actually a pretty strange guy in person -- but he knows horses better then most -

His method is much like sign language - if you ever get a chance to watch his "join up" do .. it's really the only right way to break a horse. Friends for life like Shy boy...

I don't know if you do any training at all but one of my friends and a study -- is a trainer - Mostly his own ways but also uses Anderson, Roberts and Brannaman. His name is Chris Watson, he's a US reigning and cutting champion (was) -- We've watched Monty Roberts "Shy Boy" movie a few times -- I can't find the original but here's the videos on Youtube. It's a good watch if you like horses. For those of you that don't know him -- he is the original "Horse Whisperer" - He's actually a pretty strange guy in person -- but he knows horses better then most -

Yes, I trained for over 30yrs until I got into my car accident. I have watched Monty Roberts and have personally met him. He comes from Salinas, Calif. where I am from. I started out learning to train hunter/jumpers and then 3-day eventing and then onto to Arabians and after that reining, I have met Capt. Mark Phillips of the 3-day olympic team. I trained under Mike Boyle who was the president over reining, I am not sure if he still is. I've also met and watched personally the training of Clinton Anderson and Al Dunning, and trained with Linda Tellington-Jones with the TTouch. 

I miss training horses very much.  

Jehovah never allowed horses to be bred in Isreal lest they be used in battle. Why should such beautiful, yet nervous prey animals, be forced to take part in human warfare.Horses would have served no purpose in Isreal's armies. Most of the terrain is mountainous were geurrilla warfare is more advantageous - like David did.

Millions of horses were killed in the First World War. Thousands that survived that war were slaughtered for meat in France and unlike what was shown on the movie War Horse, most were not sent back home. My late Uncle Jim was in the East Lancs Royal Field Artillary in the first War. He trained with the horses that pulled his big gun carriage. He even learned to race them, on army gala exhibition days, by riding them by standing on the backs of the 2 middle horses of the team of 4, but I cannot find that photograph at present. He got to Belgium, but because of the muddy terrain and trenches, they were shot - he was heart-broken, just as much as when his pals died with him in battle. Here is a photo of him at the army barracks in Preston UK with one of his horses, before being sent off to France/Belgium to fight in the Great War:

post-571-0-21102100-1374014722.jpg

Edited by retroHelen

Yes, I trained for over 30yrs until I got into my car accident. I have watched Monty Roberts and have personally met him. He comes from Salinas, Calif. where I am from. I started out learning to train hunter/jumpers and then 3-day eventing and then onto to Arabians and after that reining, I have met Capt. Mark Phillips of the 3-day olympic team. I trained under Mike Boyle who was the president over reining, I am not sure if he still is. I've also met and watched personally the training of Clinton Anderson and Al Dunning, and trained with Linda Tellington-Jones with the TTouch. 

I miss training horses very much.  

I'm sorry to hear you got hurt - working with horses is so therapeutic, well can be... I've worked with Buck Brannaman, Chris Cox, Les Vogt and Chris Watson (friend/study) oh and watched a lot of Parelli. So you've actually met Al Dunning? That's VERY cool.. Did you do any training with him? That's one person I've always wanted to work with /  meet, I think everybody does :) - You've met a lot of very interesting horse peeps, I'll bet you've learned a lot over 30 years with people of that caliber. When the new system arrives and if we make the cut , we'll have to do some riding ---

Watson was telling me a story about a show in FL where Anderson got a little cranky and they asked him to leave, From what I've been told Anderson is a bit impatient at times... :) But no nonsense training thats for sure. Watched a lot of his DVD's.

Have you watched Buck Deenna?

If you haven't you'd really enjoy it I'm sure. Do you still own any horses?

This is whimsey -- bad shot but you get the picture so to speak :)

tQI9M.jpg

This is Watson -- guess what's happening today? lol...

Yjg2m.jpg

Edited by Jordan

Jehovah never allowed horses to be bred in Isreal lest they be used in battle. Why should such beautiful, yet nervous prey animals, be forced to take part in human warfare.Horses would have served no purpose in Isreal's armies. Most of the terrain is mountainous were geurrilla warfare is more advantageous - like David did.

Millions of horses were killed in the First World War. Thousands that survived that war were slaughtered for meat in France and unlike what was shown on the movie War Horse, most were not sent back home. My late Uncle Jim was in the East Lancs Royal Field Artillary in the first War. He trained with the horses that pulled his big gun carriage. He even learned to race them, on army gala exhibition days, by riding them by standing on the backs of the 2 middle horses of the team of 4, but I cannot find that photograph at present. He got to Belgium, but because of the muddy terrain and trenches, they were shot - he was heart-broken, just as much as when his pals died with him in battle. Here is a photo of him at the army barracks in Preston UK with one of his horses, before being sent off to France/Belgium to fight in the Great War:

attachicon.gifjimnhorsearmy.JPG

Wow - heart breaking. There's so many horses up for adoption right now it's crazy. I was reading about a place they busted up in NJ that was keeping pregnant Mares tied up and constantly pregnant for hormone production -- this isn't the one I was thinking of but basically same deal. Fascinating picture / story of your uncle Jim.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/thathorsecom/pregnant-mares-urine-for-hormone-production/523557577660338

I can't take watching cruelty to animals, I can't understand how people can hurt animals.

Edited by Jordan