JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Study EPUBs have been updated

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3790 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

No more than a few days ago, the Watchtower Study and Simplified editions in the EPUB format were updated with references to the Revised 2013 NWT. These would be the links you clicked/tapped that either brought you to the section with all the scriptures extracted or, if you have a compatible reader like iBooks, opened the scripture in a pop-up. If you are unsure of whether you have the latest version or not, go to the second paragraph of this week's upcoming study article. At the end of the paragraph, Psalms 119:144 is quoted as saying "The righteousness of your reminders is to time indefinite" but the linked scripture will say "The righteousness of your reminders is eternal."

This information brought me both joy and sadness. The latter because I spent several hours writing a program to help me update my own Study EPUBs.  :wall: The former because I only got through August and September.  :lol2:

The following is taken from a post on Meekspace:

File Updates: 
w_E_20130915.epub - Prior Size: 1,919,622 New Size: 1,918,992 
ws_E_20130915.epub - Prior Size: 1,348,284 New Size: 1,347,552 
w_E_20131015.epub - Prior Size: 3,364,997 New Size: 3,365,376 
ws_E_20131015.epub - Prior Size: 2,271,808 New Size: 2,272,173 
w_E_20131115.epub - Prior Size: 1,789,590 New Size: 1,789,198 
ws_E_20131115.epub - Prior Size: 1,364,168 New Size: 1,363,269 
w_E_20131215.epub - Prior Size: 1,745,177 New Size: 1,743,044 
ws_E_20131215.epub - Prior Size: 1,531,238 New Size: 1,529,152

I'm a PDF guy, so it does not matter.

However, those of you who use iBooks on iPad.... do you have a problem with the size of the font that appears in the pop up bubble? I have a brother in my congregation who would love to see the font larger because he cannot read the small letters. He can increase the size of the magazine text, but not for the scriptural references that pop up in iBooks.

They don't pop up for me in Mantano Reader for Android, so I think it is more software specific rather than having anything to do with the ePub file itself. 

It might be Jehovah's direction for him to dump his Apple products and get an Android device :P

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I'm a PDF guy, so it does not matter.

However, those of you who use iBooks on iPad.... do you have a problem with the size of the font that appears in the pop up bubble? I have a brother in my congregation who would love to see the font larger because he cannot read the small letters. He can increase the size of the magazine text, but not for the scriptural references that pop up in iBooks.

They don't pop up for me in Mantano Reader for Android, so I think it is more software specific rather than having anything to do with the ePub file itself.

It might be Jehovah's direction for him to dump his Apple products and get an Android device :P

I also prefer PDF (I use ezpdf which has a huge amount of editing possibilities) and the magazine is perfectly formated. Someoone looking at me will be sure I'm with the mag/book, not so clear when using the epub version.

The epub has the advantage of clicking on the links but I go look into all the references anyway so that's not an advantage to me. After looking into the text I usually add it as a note on the PDF so at the meeting I can click on the note and read the text on a pop-up (on android :))

Look my studied magazine:

pa2yzuhu.jpg7yta9ene.jpgava5e4u9.jpg

Edited by jayrtom

I'm too lazy to manually add the scriptures. I download a document that brothers prepare with all the scriptures extracted and on a single sheet.

ezPDF Reader IS the best, for sure! I prefer underlining vs highlighting, and I change colors with each question. I'll use a matching highlighter to mark the second half of a question, or an interesting thought that I want to bring out as an additional/deeper comment.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I'm too lazy to manually add the scriptures. I download a document that brothers prepare with all the scriptures extracted and on a single sheet.

ezPDF Reader IS the best, for sure! I prefer underlining vs highlighting, and I change colors with each question. I'll use a matching highlighter to mark the second half of a question, or an interesting thought that I want to bring out as an additional/deeper comment.

Can you post some pics so us tech dino's can compare with the PDF above.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I use the ezpdf - wouldn't it be great if we could copy and paste the scriptures into sticky notes? Or is this possible and I just don't know how..

Yes it is, that's what I do ;)

And also, excerpts from iSilo or wol, or whatever text you want

First click on the pointed button, then click on the place you want the note to appear, than past what you want i to the box

etapebe3.jpg

After that you can change the note's appearance, size or placement

7utehagy.jpg

Edited by jayrtom

A question about EZpdf, how do you bookmark a page?

I use the ezpdf - wouldn't it be great if we could copy and paste the scriptures into sticky notes? Or is this possible and I just don't know how..

João shows both of these features off very well. I do want to add that the 3 dots you see midscreen on the right is what brings up the menu along the bottom. Bookmarking is actually quite easy. So is adding anything you want as a sticky note, such as scriptures, or even your own prepared comments.

So my guess is that EZpdf is an app for pdf files. I took the plunge and got a Samsung galaxy note 10.1. (don't have it yet)

All I need to do is download the pdf file and read them with EZpdf or am I missing something here?

ezPDF is best app for pdf files. Nothing else even comes close. It can handle ePubs too, but does so miserably. Mantano is the best for ePubs, IMO.

Adobe and others makes a free PDF reader, but they don't have such awesome annotation tools. ezPDF will cost you a little bit of pocket change though.

João shows both of these features off very well. I do want to add that the 3 dots you see midscreen on the right is what brings up the menu along the bottom. Bookmarking is actually quite easy. So is adding anything you want as a sticky note, such as scriptures, or even your own prepared comments.

ezPDF is best app for pdf files. Nothing else even comes close. It can handle ePubs too, but does so miserably. Mantano is the best for ePubs, IMO.

Adobe and others makes a free PDF reader, but they don't have such awesome annotation tools. ezPDF will cost you a little bit of pocket change though.

Brother Bob...what can ezPDF do that Adobe reader cannot do? :coffee:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Jaytrom I love the book shelf look.

So this app Ezpdf, is it for Androids sorry if this has been asked?

does it scroll sideways or up and down like adobe?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Brother Bob...what can ezPDF do that Adobe reader cannot do? :coffee:

Unless things have changed, Adobe Reader is just for viewing. There are no markup functions in it.

So this app Ezpdf, is it for Androids sorry if this has been asked?

does it scroll sideways or up and down like adobe?

ezPDF is for Android. It can scroll up and down, or side to side with that 'page flip' animation. You can customize it's behavior to your liking.

I think adobe reader lacks the annotation features posted above ;)

Thanks Joào..for a minute I thought Bob got a new hat!!! :D

This is what I can do in Adobe: Highlight in oodles of colors, underline in same colors, write freehand,

copy and paste notes, type comments in a note, cross out, signature, night mode for

reading, 3 choices of page display, good zoom; can't think of more I could want except

JW Library publications being able to go to scriptures from an article..offline!

Does ezPDF have more than Adobe?

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif