JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

jw.org Copyright & Bible-Quotation - Question

Hi,

I am towards the end of finishing my first novel: there are certain sections of it that I start with a Bible scripture that introduce or shed light on the subject.

According to "Terms of Use" on the jw.org website http://www.jw.org/apps/index.html?option=YRTNYGRsZF&txtCMSLang=E,

"Site visitors may download copyrighted materials from this site for non-commercial use only."

Does that mean I cant "copy & paste" verses and use them in my (yes: commercial) novel?

I know that the highly esteemed and priceless translation work belongs the the Society, but is there a "Bible exception?

Or would i really have to use a Bible Translation that is free to use?

Thx for Your input.

If it is part of a commercial project ... You will have to contact .. WTBTS for permission and if accepted you will have to state where you copied the quotations...

Just as they do when they use copyrighted material ..and photos.

They would have to do the same if they were to quote from your novel...

They have someone just looking after contacting authors and publishers for permissions...

If your going to do it.. Do it right.

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Thanks!

What would be the best way to contact them? Ring them up? As there is no official "Drop us a line!" Email link (understandably).

..and the quotations in our literature also just references the other translations (I doubt they ask permission for each and every scripture from each and every translation).

I found a link from Wikipedia which quotes "The Society of Biblical Literature":

The Student Supplement to the SBL Handbook of Style published by the Society of Biblical Literature states that for modern editions of the Bible, publishers information is not required in a citation. One should simply use the standard abbreviation of the version of the Bible (e.g. "RSV" for Revised Standard Version, "NIV" for New International Version, "NRSV" for New Revised Standard Version, and so forth).[6]

Thanks!

What would be the best way to contact them? Ring them up? As there is no official "Drop us a line!" Email link (understandably).

..and the quotations in our literature also just references the other translations (I doubt they ask permission for each and every scripture from each and every translation).

I found a link from Wikipedia which quotes "The Society of Biblical Literature":

The Student Supplement to the SBL Handbook of Style published by the Society of Biblical Literature states that for modern editions of the Bible, publishers information is not required in a citation. One should simply use the standard abbreviation of the version of the Bible (e.g. "RSV" for Revised Standard Version, "NIV" for New International Version, "NRSV" for New Revised Standard Version, and so forth).[6]

Yes, this seems correct  - just quote the source since you are only using a few verses. For ours it would be NWT and then in the bibliography state the full name and version (see "Fair Use - http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/107 )

Edit: note: it never hurts to ask.

How to contact:

Jehovah’s Witnesses

25 Columbia Heights

BROOKLYN NY 11201-2483

UNITED STATES

+1 718-560-5000

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/contact/united-states/

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Hi,

I am towards the end of finishing my first novel: there are certain sections of it that I start with a Bible scripture that introduce or shed light on the subject.

Just curious ..... since you re trying to "shed light" on the subject, is this a "made up subject"? Wondering, since, by definition, a Novel is a work of fiction. Why would you need to shed light on something that is fictitious by using a scripture?

That said, I have seen/read/heard books where they use a quote to introduce the book/section/chapter. Depending on how you do it, you do not need any permission. For instance, I could say: "... loving money is very painful ..." 1 Tim. 6:10 - keep in mind, I never said it was from a particular version, just "quoted" the needed portion of a book that is in the public domain.

However, if I am gong to use extended quotes to prove a point or explain a position, I would need to give what translation I m using so others can check the source ... and I may need permission from the publisher.

But then again, who owns the King James Version. It i published by more then one book publisher and quoting from it does not indicate a particular publisher.

Then again, if you are working on something that drives a point home or explains some position, perhaps it is a book .... but if it is true, it is not a novel.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Just curious ..... since you re trying to "shed light" on the subject, is this a "made up subject"? Wondering, since, by definition, a Novel is a work of fiction. Why would you need to shed light on something that is fictitious by using a scripture?

That said, I have seen/read/heard books where they use a quote to introduce the book/section/chapter. Depending on how you do it, you do not need any permission. For instance, I could say: "... loving money is very painful ..." 1 Tim. 6:10 - keep in mind, I never said it was from a particular version, just "quoted" the needed portion of a book that is in the public domain.

However, if I am gong to use extended quotes to prove a point or explain a position, I would need to give what translation I m using so others can check the source ... and I may need permission from the publisher.

But then again, who owns the King James Version. It i published by more then one book publisher and quoting from it does not indicate a particular publisher.

Then again, if you are working on something that drives a point home or explains some position, perhaps it is a book .... but if it is true, it is not a novel.

Hi,

yes: this is a "made up subject", a work of fiction. It is a "spin-off", so to say of an idea in the future, based on Bible prophecy.

The books title is "Rise & Fall", and has to do with the Rise and Fall of the Church. Using Bible scriptures as an introduction is a way to describe biblical events as prophesied, and the story just spins along with it.

No teachings, alternatives, nothing offensive, no literature replacement, etc.

Its a political - thriller based on the concept: the nations will turn upon Babylon the Great. I was just wondering: how and why? And an idea, better yet story popped into my mind and that idea is now a novel worth 300 pages.

the quotations from the Bible are nothing that "support" any ideas in the book, at least not in a dogmatic way.

Its built up like a classical Michael Crichton (though he is definitely a higher league as authoring goes ;-)): go fact-hunting and wrap a story around it.

You can always just "paraphrase" the scriptures you are "quoting" - they do not have to be word-for-word from any particular translation.

My novel is about 27,000 words at the moment. I need to finish it so I can try to sell it.

How do you plan to sell yours? I am planning on publishing on Amazon.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 3 weeks later...

I used quotes from the Online King James version.

Free to use, quotations are correctly mentioned in the book and linked.

PLUS: its easier to "separate" it from the jw. org (maybe someone gets funny ideas from a book that quotes jw.org -> doesnt fall back negatively (Tho I couldnt ever imagine why ;-))

The book is published and up! Yea! 300+ pages. 1 year. All possible with the help of friends and Amazon.

You can always just "paraphrase" the scriptures you are "quoting" - they do not have to be word-for-word from any particular translation.

My novel is about 27,000 words at the moment. I need to finish it so I can try to sell it.

How do you plan to sell yours? I am planning on publishing on Amazon.

Hi John,

I read here in your post that you have almost finished a book.

Can you tell us what it is about?

I find it interesting that some of the friends have written various books.

I wish I could write a book but I am not very talented or imaginative.

If you are unable to share that's ok, I understand.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)