JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 657 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

We got as well the European Portuguese version here in Angola.

I have to say that it took too long for us to get the European version, our brother in Brazil did not wait that long.

Now I will compare to see if it is worth to have 2 translations in the same language.

In the past there was just 1 portuguese version of New World Translation. 

Just now, sergiodongala said:

I have to say that it took too long for us to get the European version, our brother in Brazil did not wait that long.

Now I will compare to see if it is worth to have 2 translations in the same language.

What I have noticed so far, the big differences are the verbs..

7 hours ago, sergiodongala said:

One of the biggest changes for us in Brazil, made the difference was the exchange of the pronoun "tu", we rarely used here for "você" and "vós" to "vocês", remaining "tu" only to Jehovah, as a form of respectful treatment. Never we would use the term "você" to Jehovah.

It has been released on the regional conventions.

So it is official, we now have our own version...

Any news on the availability of other publications in portuguese - PT? Like bible teach book...

I noticed on the site there is a version of the good news brochure in our own language (pdf & epub)

Enviado do meu LG-D855 através de Tapatalk

1 hour ago, juliansan said:

Were all conventions tied in together?

Nope... I just knew about it today on this thread :)

This weekend we had the first conventions but mine is only in August 

I was expecting it to be released on a tied in event or just by an announcement that it was avaliable for request (I'm not sure if the bible was physically delivered - with all the invited people it increases greatly the amount of bibles needed) 

Any news on bible releases on RC's in other languages? 

1 minute ago, jayrtom said:

I was expecting it to be released on a tied in event or just by an announcement that it was avaliable for request (I'm not sure if the bible was physically delivered - with all the invited people it increases greatly the amount of bibles needed) 

Oh, okay. I thought it would be a sign for a release of the revised NWT if all conventions of the language are at the same weekend. But it doesn't seems to be so. 

On 3/17/2016 at 7:02 PM, Sheep said:

(I'm looking forward to a new French NWT. In French, there is already a difference between singular and plural "you", "tu" and "vous", respectively. But a new, more understandable French would be nice.)

Does anyone know if there will be a "central" NWT French version? (i.e. France, Quebec, Francophone Africa, etc.?)

7 hours ago, Omo_Yeme said:

Does anyone know if there will be a "central" NWT French version? (i.e. France, Quebec, Francophone Africa, etc.?)

I think what we have in French already is "central," just like most any other language. Unlike Portuguese and Spanish, there are not two different versions of French on jw.org, nor are there different versions of English. The differences in French from various parts of the world are about like the differences between British, South African, Australian, and American English. Despite the different accents and expressions, we can all understand each other. As for expressions in written publications, it looks like the organization is trying to avoid any regionally-specific language aspects that might give away where it was produced, a principle that would apply in most languages.

However it may be somewhat different with which accent would be used in a video. There may not be a "central" accent in some languages. The accent used in our English videos, in fact in all movies coming out of Hollywood, is what is called a "mid-Atlantic" accent, or "central"; it can be understood anywhere. But our French videos use European French, and French-Canadians in Quebec seem to be able to understand it perfectly.

On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 9:06 PM, jayrtom said:

We here in Britain have just been informed that the Watchtower No.5 in Portuguese  (September) will be different in the following ways:

1. The front cover will not have the title "The Watchtower - Announcing Jehovah’s Kingdom"

2. The magazine will contain an article related to the recent release of the New World Translation in Portuguese for Portugal. Therefore, this issue will be printed later than normal.

37 minutes ago, marcusth said:

We here in Britain have just been informed that the Watchtower No.5 in Portuguese  (September) will be different in the following ways:

1. The front cover will not have the title "The Watchtower - Announcing Jehovah’s Kingdom"

2. The magazine will contain an article related to the recent release of the New World Translation in Portuguese for Portugal. Therefore, this issue will be printed later than normal.

wasn't that supposed to be a special campaign on Comfort?

Interesting news... Will it be translated in portuguese from portugal?

What more can you give me? :)

47 minutes ago, marcusth said:

I wonder if this special edition will be in digital format. I'd like to obtain it. 

52 minutes ago, marcusth said:

Coincidence or is this related to Jayrtom's special campaign letter in August