JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 662 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Br. Carlos,  Does the Romanian version use the equivalent expression of the English "times indefinite" or do you use the term "forever"?  When talking to the brothers about translation, they said that the conversion of the terms caused the brothers to review the English term used.  So some languages were given the new term "forever" (as an example) and so they have the 2013 revision built-in to the existing translation.  Only languages that had an older existing NWT. which had the older terms or words, these are the ones needing a "new" revision.  I do not know anything about the Romanian version.

Romanian is probably one of those languages you mention that caused the brothers to review the English text.

The Romanian NWT, which was released in 2005, is based on the old 1984 text, but it contains some of the features of the 2015 edition. For example, it still says "fornication" and "Hades". But it says "forever" instead of "for time indefinite".

Its language style is similar to the new edition, rather than the extremely literal style of the 1984 edition. I guess it's going to be a long time before we receive the new version, but it's no big deal, because the one we have is accurate and easy to understand. Some scriptures I find easier to understand in Romanian than in my mother tongue Spanish, which is in desperate need of the new revision. :)

NO!   ... For the THIRD time    ...   I don't know how else to explain it to you any clearer, just because it has a GRAY cover Does Not make it a 2013 Revised Edition - there are clearly only 16 Revised 2013 Revised Editions according to   ... http://www.jw.org/download/?fileformat=PDF&output=html&pub=nwt&option=TRGCHlZRQVNYVrXF

• Amharic
  • Azerbaijani
  • Azerbaijani (Cyrillic)
  • Chitumbuka
  • English
  • Estonian
  • Ewe
  • Fijian
  • Haitian Creole
  • Hiligaynon
  • Kazakh
  • Kongo
  • Korean
  • Portuguese
  • Thai
  • Ukrainian

Yes my brother. Thank you! I now understood the point, with the additional explanation that the brother Carlos gave us.

Br. Carlos,  Does the Romanian version use the equivalent expression of the English "times indefinite" or do you use the term "forever"?  When talking to the brothers about translation, they said that the conversion of the terms caused the brothers to review the English term used.  So some languages were given the new term "forever" (as an example) and so they have the 2013 revision built-in to the existing translation.  Only languages that had an older existing NWT. which had the older terms or words, these are the ones needing a "new" revision.  I do not know anything about the Romanian version.

As to the maroon and black color covers that I mentioned, they were printing 1984 version alongside grey colored revised ones.  I only know what the Bethel tour guide said (but I did see them myself).

Romanian, released in the fall of 2006, still uses "times indefinite", "Sheol", "Hades", "fornication", but indeed, as Carlos also mentioned, has many scriptures rendered as they are in the 2013 edition in English.

We received a letter saying that Romanian will not have a Bible based on the 2013 revision. That is why the organization printed Bibles with the gray cover in Romanian using the 2006 edition. I assume that in languages where the bi12 Bible has PDF files with gray covers there will be no nwt Bible. Hungarian is a similar example. They released the bi12 Bible in 2003 and published both volumes of Insight this year. However what's pretty weird is that neither the gray cover Bible Teach book, nor the Jesus--The Way book got released in Hungarian yet.

And we now have an additional language: Tatar 

http://www.jw.org/download/?fileformat=PDF&output=html&pub=nwt&option=TRGCHlZRQVNYVrXF 

"The Tatar language (татар теле, татарча, tatar tele, tatarça, تاتار تيلی) is a Turkic language spoken by Volga Tatars mainly located in modern Tatarstan, Bashkortostan and Nizhny Novgorod Oblast. It should not be confused with the Crimean Tatar language, to which it is remotely related but with which it is not mutually intelligible.

Tatar language is spoken in Russia (about 5.3 million people), Ukraine, China, Finland, Turkey, Uzbekistan, the United States of America, Romania, Azerbaijan, Israel, Kahahstan, Georgia, Lithuania, Latvia, Finland and other countries. Total Tatars in the world are more than 7 million people.

Tatar is also native for several thousand Maris. Mordva's Qaratay group also speak a variant of Kazan Tatar.

In the 2010 census, 69% of Russian Tatars who responded to the question about language ability claimed a knowledge of the Tatar language. In Tatarstan, 93% of Tatars and 3,6% of Russians did so. In neighbouring Bashkortostan, 67% of Tatars, 27% of Bashkirs, and 1,3% of Russians did".

- Wikipedia

Edited by Araujo JW

Another language has been added: Luganda. Now we have 17 languages considering the Azerbaijani and Azerbaijani (Cyrillic) as one.

http://www.jw.org/download/?fileformat=PDF&output=html&pub=nwt&option=TRGCHlZRQVNYVrXF

"The Ganda language, Luganda (/luːˈɡændə/, Oluganda [oluɡáːnda]), is the major language of Uganda, spoken by five million Ganda and other people principally in Southern Uganda, including the capital Kampala. It belongs to the Bantu branch of the Niger–Congo language family. 

With about four million first-language-speakers in the Buganda region and a million others who are fluent, it is the most widely spoken Ugandan language. As second language it follows English and precedes Swahili. The language is used in some primary schools in Buganda as pupils begin to learn English, the primary official language of Uganda. 
Wikipedia

• 3 weeks later...

Another 3 languages has been added: Kikaonde, Kiribati and Pangasinan. Now we have 20 languages considering the Azerbaijani and Azerbaijani (Cyrillic) as one.

·         Amharic

·         Azerbaijani

·         Azerbaijani (Cyrillic)

·         Chitumbuka

·         English

·         Estonian

·         Ewe

·         Fijian

·         Haitian Creole

·         Hiligaynon

·         Kazakh

·         Kikaonde

·         Kiribati

·         Kongo

·         Korean

·         Luganda 

·         Pangasinan

·         Portuguese

·         Tatar

·         Thai

·         Ukrainian

Edited by Araujo JW

Here are some details of the languages spoken by our brothers who received the revised translation of the Bible:

kiiKaonde, is a Bantu language (of the larger Niger–Congo family) that is spoken primarily in Zambia but also in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Kaonde and its dialects are spoken and understood by perhaps 350,000 people or more. It is estimated that approximately 3% of Zambians are native Kaonde speakers. Kaonde speakers overwhelmingly live in the Northwestern and parts of Central regions of Zambia.

Fewer numbers of Kaonde speakers live in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. However, they are not known or identified by the term Kaonde but rather by the term Luba.

Strictly speaking, the term "Kaonde" refers to a group of people who are identified by a common language known as kiiKaonde. This group of people, like many others in Zambia, was originally part of the Luba Kingdom. They migrated south to area surrounding a stream called Kaonde in river Congo basin. From there, the people migrated into what is now Northwestern Zambia. This group of people called their language kiiKaonde. Speakers of other Bantu languages use the prefix "chi" other than "kii" to refer to this language. Thus non-Kaondes sometimes call the language Chikaonde.

Kiribati (/ˌkɪrɪˈbæs/keer-ə-bahss or /ˌkɪrɪˈbɑːti/keer-ə-bah-tee), officially the Republic of Kiribati (GilberteseRibaberiki Kiribati), is an island nation in the central Pacific Ocean. The nation comprises 33 atolls and reef islands and one raised coral island;Banaba. They have a total land area of 800 square kilometres (310 sq mi) and are dispersed over 3.5 million square kilometres (1,351,000 square miles). Their spread straddles the equator and the International Date Line, although the Date Line is indented to bring theLine Islands in the same day as the Kiribati Islands. The permanent population is just over 100,000 (2011), half of whom live on Tarawa Atoll.

Kiribati became independent from the United Kingdom in 1979. The capital and now most populated area, South Tarawa, consists of a number of islets, connected by a series of causeways. These comprise about half the area of Tarawa Atoll.

Kiribati is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations, the IMF and the World Bank, and became a full member of the United Nations in 1999.

Pangasinan (PangasinanLuyag na Pangasinan) ,is a province of the Philippines. Its official language is Pangasinan or Pangasinense and its provincial capital is Lingayen. Pangasinan is located on the western area of the island of Luzon along the Lingayen Gulf and South China Sea. It has a total land area of 5,451.01 square kilometres (2,104.65 sq mi). According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 2,779,862 people. The official number of registered voters in Pangasinan is 1,651,814.

Pangasinan is the name for the province, the people, and the official language spoken in the province. Indigenous Pangasinan speakers are estimated to number at least 2 million. The Pangasinan language is one of the officially recognized regional languages in the Philippines. Most of the people speak Ilocano rather than Pangasinan. Pangasinan is also spoken as a second-language by many of the ethnic minorities in Pangasinan. The minority ethnic groups are the Bolinao and Tagalog.

- by Wikipedia

Edited by Araujo JW

I forwarded already the Luganda Bible as well some other links in Luganda (language of Uganda) to a young man I met just 2 weeks before at refugecamp near our congregation ... :)

how did he reply?

he wrote back: yes that's my language. I understand every word. ...

thanks to all ! :))

• 2 weeks later...

Huh, I had a hard time finding this topic. Searched the forum for "new worpd translation 2013" and "new world translation" but got nowhere. Good thing I remembered that the word "Azerbaijani" had been mentioned in this topic :P

Earlier on I had thought the Tigrinya language NWT would be released in connection in the two-day RC in Mek'ele in Ethiopia in the end of November but it wasn't so.

TODAy, however, a special meeting was streamed live from the assembly place of Addis Ababa to at least Sweden (starting 8 AM in our time zone *yawn*), Norway and Australia. In a delayed viewing later on the same day friends from at least Kenya, Djibouti, Sudan and Germany would also get to listen in to the talks.

Brother Mark Sanderson from the GB was delighted to announce the release of the complete NWT in Tigrinya (Greek Scriptures released in 2012, language spoken primarily in Eritrea and Ethiopia) as well as the Christian Greek Scriptures of the NWT in Oromo.

So lovely how streaming allows so many more than otherwise would be possible to attend such historic events--even if at times the Africa-based internet broadcast was spotty to say the least.

Nemesgneka, Yehowa!

Galatoomi, Yihowaa!

(Thank you, Jehovah!)

post-1035-0-83507500-1452364278_thumb.jp

Edited by LoneWanderer

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

Brother Mark Sanderson from the GB was delighted to announce the release of the complete NWT in Tigrinya (Greek Scriptures released in 2012, language spoken primarily in Eritrea and Ethiopia) as well as the Christian Greek Scriptures of the NWT in Oromo.

Nemesgneka, Yehowa!

Galatoomi, Yihowaa!

(Thank you, Jehovah!)

Such great news! The friends in Eastern Africa, and those around the world speaking the language must be over the moon! Can you imagine the joy the friends (esp. in Eritrea) must feel?

THANK YOU JEHOVAH!

Incredible news! I'm happy for you brothers and sisters who are getting the new revision. Now...where's Spanish?! Haha. I'm just messing around. I'll continue to show patience and pray to Jehovah to help the brothers working on translation, not just Spanish but all the languages. When it comes, it'll be such a happy occasion. I know older ones who were there when the NWT was first released in Spanish. It'll be amazing to see their faces and reactions when the revised edition is released. I also look forward to talking to them and hearing how the NWT has become better in their lifetime. What a wonderful time it is to be in Jehovah's organization.

What?! :o

Indeed the language is listed there but can't seem to change the download ... Maybe because it's not yet available...

Edit: Ok, I got it!

Wow wow wow...

I can't express my feelings right now

Edited by jayrtom