JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Quantum Computer

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3266 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Aha!So I was right! I mean, I already knew but listening to this conversation only proved it. I mean i know I proved it just by saying it but... ok let me get to the point.

I'm at a store (Target) and she rings up an item that I had a problem with. Her defense was it's on the computer. My defense was it's only a mindless machine that can't work without a human, so therefore the human plugged in the wrong price! She got an attitude taller than Nimrod's tower. I reported her.

Kachinggggg! Lol.

Aha!So I was right! I mean, I already knew but listening to this conversation only proved it. I mean i know I proved it just by saying it but... ok let me get to the point.

I'm at a store (Target) and she rings up an item that I had a problem with. Her defense was it's on the computer. My defense was it's only a mindless machine that can't work without a human, so therefore the human plugged in the wrong price! She got an attitude taller than Nimrod's tower. I reported her.

Kachinggggg! Lol.

I feel like taking a computer and just choke it until it spits out all the money so I can grab it. When the Bible say you must not murder. It did not refer to a computer. Who knows it might refer to it in the future. I can't image going to prison for life for killing a computer. Oh well, maybe.

You forgot to mention the movie I Robot. You never know how far man made machines can go. Just one glitch can spoil a whole group of robots. It scary and it can happen.

and what about Orac or Box

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I read an old Science fiction novel when I was in my teens, it was from the 1930's and I wish I could remember the title and/or the author.

It was about a race of people living on another planet who were more advanced then the people of earth. They were very knowledgeable but there was a question they could not find an answer to. So they decided to build a "super computer" with its own intelligence and the ability to learn, just so it could answer the question that concerned them.

After this computer was finished, they started feeding all the information on there planet into it and waited for it to absorb it and grow in intelligence until they felt it was ready to answer their question. Meanwhile, since it was such an advanced computer, they were able to use it to run their automated farming, food preparation, planetary police force as well as their planets military defenses.

Finally the day came when they felt it had advanced enough to answer their question, So they held a worldwide televised event and everybody tuned in to hear the answer, The question was asked "Is there a God?"

It was silent for a few moments until their computer answered "There is now!"

Edited by Musky

Oh no, a typo

Yup heard that one before Musky.  Don't forget the older movie "Colossus -The Forbin Project"

Post Scripta   I like the older Sc-Fi books the best.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I read an old Science fiction novel when I was in my teens, it was from the 1930's and I wish I could remember the title and/or the author.

[...]

Finally the day came when they felt it had advanced enough to answer their question, So they held a worldwide televised event and everybody tuned in to hear the answer, The question was asked "Is there a God?"

It was silent for a few moments until their computer answered "There is now!"

That's a Fredric Brown's story titled "Answer" if I don't remember it wrong.

Fredric Brown was a master at extremely short stories with shocking endings. I think it was him that wrote one story with a single sentence.

Here, let me Google that for you:  http://www.atariarchives.org/deli/god_humans_machines.php

The joke goes like this: A group of computer geniuses get together to build the world's largest, most powerful thinking machine. They program it with the latest heuristic software so it can learn, then feed into it the total sum of mankind's knowledge from every source-historical, scientific, technical, literary, mythical, religious, occult. Then, at the great unveiling, the group leader feeds the computer its first question:

"Is there a god?"

"There is now," the computer replies.

As a joke, this story takes four sentences. As a movie (Colossus: The Forbin Project or WarGames), it takes up to two hours. As a novel (The Humanoids by Jack Williamson orDestination: Void by Frank Herbert), it takes a whole book.

This perverse deus ex machina view of computers was explored by science-fiction writers in the fifties, probably first in a story called "Answer" in Angels and Spaceships by Frederic Brown. But "thinking machines" were described in science fiction and fantasy literature long before UNIVAC started blowing fuses and tubes-even before Charles Babbage began turning cranks. Over the centuries there has been a fascination with the notion of artificial beings or artificial intelligence, and the legendary mark of a true master of occult or metaphysical science was his ability to construct such a contraption.

Yup heard that one before Musky.  Don't forget the older movie "Colossus -The Forbin Project"

Post Scripta   I like the older Sc-Fi books the best.

There was talk of remaking Colossus.  

Thanks Carlos! I read that so long ago, I'd forgotten it was a short story! 

There was talk of remaking Colossus.

I wonder if they'll just use the two sequels to Colossus that D.F.Jones wrote?

The fall of Colossus

Colossus and the crab.

Edited by Musky